N-470 ....wait period ... can I leave while all in process ...

Aliena007

Registered Users (C)
Based on so many inputs I received on my previous thread, I took your advice and will have a company help me apply for N-470 :D :D
Now I have a slew of new questions, Please HELP (again )

Q1: How long is the process for N-470? (I am applying from Chicago)

Q2: Can I leave the US while waiting for N-470 to be processed.

Q3: I got my GC through asylum, and have a RTD that will expire in October. I also have a valid passport from my country of birth. Which one should I use??? RTD's are soooo much hassle and they are valid only for a year.

Q4: If I am granted N-470, am I correct to assume, with that authorization even the time I was out of the country will be counted towards my 5year continuous residency in the US??? I however do plan on coming back every 5 months.

In advance THANK YOU so very much for any input :)

Hmm, not sure.

I got it right when I applied for my GC because I said I travel extensively.
You might be able to get a stamp in your passport as interim solution until a final decision has been made, but then you need to show up in person

I should add that you need additional pictures and stuff !AND! you need to keep track of that paperwork even past expiration. Never toss ANY USCIS stuff into the garbage - even AFTER you become citizen.

Based on so many inputs I received on my previous thread, I took your advice and will have a company help me apply for N-470 :D :D
Now I have a slew of new questions, Please HELP (again )

Depends on processing times, but 3-6 months would be my guesstimate.
Yes, but in order to apply for N-470 you must not have left US for at least one year since becoming LPR.
Q3: I got my GC through asylum, and have a RTD that will expire in October. I also have a valid passport from my country of birth. Which one should I use??? RTD's are soooo much hassle and they are valid only for a year.
I assume you mean what documents you need to return to US?My guess it's best to use RTD, and GC in combination. A valid passport is a requirement for air travel outside US these days.
Q4: If I am granted N-470, am I correct to assume, with that authorization even the time I was out of the country will be counted towards my 5year continuous residency in the US??? I however do plan on coming back every 5 months.
Normally any trip outside US between 6 months and 1 year assumes break in CR unless you can prove otherwise. Likewise, any trip greater than 12 months automatically breaks CR. In your case, a back and forth travel pattern of just under 5 months can be seen as a break in US residency ties, and the N-470 allows you to overcome this presumption by preserving continuous residency requirement.

Bobsmyth,
Thanks for the replay :)
I don't think I correctly phrased the question re:passport.
I do have RTD that is valid and I also have a valid passport from my country. What I wold like to know is weather using a passport from my country + GC would be a better alternative then using RTD+GC?
Better yet, is it legal to have a passport from the country from which you are an asaylee?
Will using the passport (from the country in which I am still a citizen but seeked asaylum) instead of RTD create any problems for me?

Better yet, is it legal to have a passport from the country from which you are an asaylee?
Will using the passport (from the country in which I am still a citizen but seeked asaylum) instead of RTD create any problems for me?
Using the passport is not an issue if you're not using it to go back to the country you escaped. Renewing the passport after having claimed asylum is what could be a problem in some cases.

However, the N-470 is not sufficient for a 2 year trip; you also need a reentry permit to preserve your green card (some people go without it by returning to the US every 5-6 months, but that is not a safe strategy if done repeatedly for 2 years). The reentry permit will normally be valid for 2 years and can be used like a passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jackolantern and Bobsmyth!!!
You are simply awsome !!! :)
My lawyer never mentioned any of the stuff I learned from you :eek:

Check out my timeline below.

yes, even more, you don't have to be physically in the US when you apply (unless
you're preparing the application yourself and not through an attorney)

N-470 is to preserve continous residence for naturalization eligibility only (and physical presence in certain cases)
It is generally obtained for absences of 1 year or more. However, having an approved N-470 on hand greatly helps your case when it's time to apply for naturalization.

Don't forget to get a re-entry permit if you're going to be absent for 6 months or more.

Blkhawk, Thanks soooo much!!! Thanks for the time line info, however I am glad that I can leave in the mean time.

I am very greatfull for all the inputs!!!

Whether you should use your passport depends on the particulars of your asylum application and current country conditions. My personal suggestion is do NOT use it. You are required to get a reentry permit anyway so just use that as a passport. Do not open a potential can of worms by using the passport.

Whether you should use your passport depends on the particulars of your asylum application and current country conditions. My personal suggestion is do NOT use it. You are required to get a reentry permit anyway so just use that as a passport. Do not open a potential can of worms by using the passport.

I am very thankful for the reply :)