N-400 Urgent input needed !!!

endpoint

Registered Users (C)
i had my n-400 interview recently and my application was recommended for approval but i haven't received oath letter. last oath ceremony before holidays is next week and i don't think i will get an oath letter if i wait before holidays.

i have the personal email address of my interviewer and is it good idea to send him an email to ask about my application status and see if i can get in to this up coming ceremony ? i am not comfortable disturbing others outside their work ( or sending email their personal email address) but i really need my citizenship before holidays.

thanks for any advise.

May I ask you where you got this e-mail? Did the officer give it to you and said it was OK for you to e-mail him/her?

i got the email address online and officer didn't give it to me. is it illegal to contact with officer while application under process ?

he was really polite and helpful, i don't think he will get angry but again who knows. so you think its better to wait than writing email ? holidays are around the corner and i am hoping to finish up everything before holidays

he was really polite and helpful, i don't think he will get angry but again who knows. so you think its better to wait than writing email ? holidays are around the corner and i am hoping to finish up everything before holidays

You might be initiating ex-parte communications in violation of law. While a mere "status inquiry" is OK, the agency already has a known procedure for that, to go outside the established procedure without authorization is not a good idea.

FROM: http://www.uscis.gov/err/K1 - Reque...ecisions_Issued_in_2008/Nov182008_01K1610.pdf

"1. Procedural Issues

As stated above, the appellant expresses concern that other promoters were able to meet with Service
Center Operations staff. While Citizenship and Immigration Services (CIS) regulations have a
provision for oral argument under certain circumstances at the appellate level (8 C.F.R. 4 103.3(b)),
there is no regulatory provision for oral argument during the adjudication of a proposal for
designation as a regional center. Further, if the appellant is suggesting that CIS staff should have
informally discussed the merits off the record, the AAO notes that ex parte communications are
prohibited by the Administrative Procedure Act (APA), 5 U.S.C. 8 706.

According to section 55 l(14) of the APA, "ex parte communication" is defined as "an oral or written
communication not on the public record with respect to which reasonable prior notice to all parties is
not given, but it shall not include requests for status reports on any matter or proceeding covered by
this subchapter."

Section 557(d)(l) of the APA limits ex parte communications, in part, as follows:

(A) no interested person outside the agency shall make or knowingly cause to be
made to any member of the body comprising the agency, administrative law judge, or
other employee who is or may reasonably be expected to be involved in the decisional
process of the proceeding, an ex parte communication relevant to the merits of the
proceeding;

(B) no member of the body comprising the agency, administrative law judge, or other
employee who is or may reasonably be expected to be involved in the decisional
process of the proceeding, shall make or knowingly cause to be made to any
interested person outside the agency an ex parte communication relevant to the merits
of the proceeding.

Significantly, ex parte communications are not part of the record of proceeding and cannot be
considered in future proceedings, such as the appeal before us. Thus, Service Center Operations did
not err when it declined to meet with the appellant. There is no regulatory procedure in place for
such a meeting and Service Center Operations would have been obligated to create a record of the
meeting."

thanks bigjoe, you r right, i better wait till i receive oath letter

That is a Merry good idea, communicating with an IO via an email address that he never gave it to you, could result him thinking you are nut. If he never gave you the email, then I will be cheering you to check with him, but finding it on the internet doesn't confer the right to use it.

thanks bigjoe, you r right, i better wait till i receive oath letter

There is no harm in writing a letter to IO with official address. In fact when we went on INFOPASS the officer who met us asked me to give a letter addressed to IO and he would forward the same. We received no acknowledgment or reply. However our cases were approved. We are not aware whether those letters were of help - like woke her from her slumber and trace our files in her cupboard.

i have the personal email address of my interviewer .
How did you obtain it? Did the IO give it to you? If so, there's no harm in obtaining a status update via email to an IO eventhough USCIS has a procedure in place for such inquiries.On the other hand, if you didn't obtain email from IO then follow the regular inquiry route instead.