N-400 status for NYC

I have a
PD: June, 09,2003
FP: Aug/2003

Can you guys tell me when I might be call for an interview.

As I posted in the name check thread (http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1061866#post1061866) that recently my friend was cleared the name check process and now a proud citizen of the USA.
As an experiment we did not send any e-mail or foipa request to fbi and just waited for the process.
Oath Experience for Garden City office:
Garden City office holds 4 ceremonies per week in brooklyn court house. The ceremony is long and simple. However I made the following observations which every one must pay attention to. There were atleast five people were not allowed to participate in the swearing in ceremony because of several reaons:
-One simple reason was that someone did not have parking ticket paid reciept.
-The other person could not answer the simple english question (did you get married after the interview?)

Other than that the ceremony is conducted in a very friendly environment and the immigration officers are very nice and curtious.
Good luck to all.

Interview questions?

OK. I agree it is stupid to ask this question when my interview is in 2 days. What exactly will they ask in the interview apart from the standard 100 questions which I see in many sites? Should I read more about US history? My interview letter asked me to bring my GC and Passport. After reading this forum, I am planning to take my last 3 years tax return (hope, I can find them). Does anyone know how long the interview lasts?

Between interview and oath, am I allowed to travel abroad?

Thanks.

If it's any help to NYers

I sent my app in may 2002 (reside in NYC). I interviewed in june 2003. My letter of denial was sent in june 2004 but it never reached me (most likely never sent to me according to some of my sources). Given the fact that the denial letter was sent a year after the interview I missed the 30 days Administrative appeal. How convenient is that?
Now i must go through the freedom of information act to get my file to see what the rejection was all about. This will take 6-9 months why? Because NY is supposedly so backed up that everyone is requesting information on themselves and their cases via that route which is why there is such a long wait- (I hear California is a two-4 week turnaround.)
Call yr congressman....

How long does the oath ceremony take?

hm11,

Could you please tell me how long does it take for oath ceremony to complete? My oath letter asks me to be present at Cadman Plaza - Brooklyn at 8:00AM sharp. I am wondering whether to take a day off from work. Let me know. thanks.

yahoo_2005 said:
hm11,

Could you please tell me how long does it take for oath ceremony to complete? My oath letter asks me to be present at Cadman Plaza - Brooklyn at 8:00AM sharp. I am wondering whether to take a day off from work. Let me know. thanks.

It starts at 8:00 AM and ends at 11:30. It is basically a 1/2 process. No camera or cell phone is allowed. Guests are welcome also. Park your car in a parking garage and very close to the court house. These are the things you need to know when you go for the oath.
Congratulations and good luck.

Interview experience at Garden City

Last week I and my wife had our interviews at Garden City office. The interview letter asked me to bring my GC and passport. After reading this forum, I took my last year's tax return with me. My interview time was at 11:30AM and I was asked not to come more than 30 mins earlier than that time.

I reached INS office exactly at 11:00. Easy to reach the place and plenty of parking. After security check, the guy in the first floor stapled our interview letter and we were asked to wait in the second floor. Garden City office is huge with lot of chairs and not an intimidating atmosphere. We saw atleast 80 people waiting before us. Some of them came 3 or 4 hours earlier than their interview time.

We waited and waited and waited and finally my name was called at 2:00. I was lucky to get a very courteous officer. She was extremly polite, never seen an INS officer like that. She asked me to show my GC and passport. Verified the arrival/departure date. She found I put a wrong date in N-400 and corrected it. Asked me 10 questions from the standard 100. When she asked me "Whom did we fight against during revolutionary war?", I started ranting Japan, Germany, Italy. She reminded me "I asked revolutionay war", I immediately corrected my answer.

Then she asked me to write 3 sentences. Asked me whether I have my tax returns. I said I have it for the last year and was about it take it out from my bag. She said no need. After that she read N-400 questions in less than one minute. She apologized before asking questions like have you ever smuggled drugs, were you ever a prostitute etc., (from N-400).

Then she asked me to wait in the first floor and said if another officer approves my interview, I'll get my oath letter. The entire interview was over in exactly 16 mins including name change and address change. I waited in the first floor for 15 mins and someone called our names and gave our oath letters. Oath date is 2 weeks from interview date.

Overall it was an uneventful interview. We read the 100 questions 2 days before the interview since my friend told me there was no need to read anything else for history/civics. I have other problems with my oath and travelling out of the country which I rather not talk about. Thanks hm11 and others for your valuable input.

yahoo_2005 said:
hm11,

Normally you get the day off from work for Citizenship oath ceremonies (you may want to tell your manager that you are going to the citizenship oath ceremony). Personally, I think you don't have to burn a vacation day.

Good luck!

yahoo_2005:

CONGRATULATIONS!
I am very happy with Garden City USCIS officers. I also got a very curtious young officer. She was polite and professional. So for I have heard good experiences from Garden City office.
Good luck with your Oath at Cadman Plaza. Its a 1/2 day process.

Good luck :) Again Congratulations!

Finally got intv. letter

Finally I got my intv. letter, and it's on 3/22/05 at Garden City. Eventhough I am ready for it, but little nervous. Does anyone have any last minute suggestion? Also, has anyone used public transportation ( Subway & LIRR ) to go to Garden City? I am fine up to Hemstead station. How far is the immigration office from the Hemstead station? Can I get a taxi from there? or the only means of transportation from there is bus N-15 or N-16? How long will take from the station to immigration office by bus? I will appreciate if anyone shares his/her experience in this matter.

Thanks
Choyty

Re: Finally got intv. letter

Read my post about my interview experience. It was a breeze. Regarding transportation, either take a cab from the nearest LIRR or take LIB to Roosevelt Field Mall where many LIB buses terminate. From there you can walk to 711 Stewart Ave (but there is no sidewalk from the mall to INS office) or take a cab (should be less than $5). Good luck. What time is your interview?

Oath Questions

hm11,

Could you please help me? The oath letter asks me to bring among other documents "Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document". What is it? Should I worry about it?

Also how serious are they about reporting promptly at 8:00AM for oath ceremony? I'll try to be there by 7:50, but if there is a traffic problem, I may reach Cadman Plaza after 8:00. I cannot leave very early from my home. Did you notice anyone coming after 8:00? Thanks.

Yahoo 2005,
Thanks a lot. One more thing, did you have your 1722 stamped by
local IRS or did you just took what you got by mail? My intv is at 9:55 A.M.

Thanks
choyty

yahoo_2005 said:
hm11,

Could you please help me? The oath letter asks me to bring among other documents "Reentry Permit or Refugee Travel Document". What is it? Should I worry about it?

Also how serious are they about reporting promptly at 8:00AM for oath ceremony? I'll try to be there by 7:50, but if there is a traffic problem, I may reach Cadman Plaza after 8:00. I cannot leave very early from my home. Did you notice anyone coming after 8:00? Thanks.

If you have those documents or were issued at any point, take them with you. If you dont have any of these documents, then Green Card is enough. Basically they want to collect any document issued by the INS, CIS or USCIS because after your oath you don't need any of them. The important document is GREEN CARD.

Yes you will be fine at 8:00. They take every body upstair at 8:00 AM. But if you are late, ask the security person and they will guide you to the right place. I have seen people coming late but try not be late. This is very important day.

And Remember park your car in the garage because it will be really hard to come back from the ceremony and feed the meter.

Good luck and congratulations!!!

Form 1722

choyty,

I didn't take 1722, I was never asked to show that. I never heard of 1722. I took copies of my last year's tax return (whatever TurboTax printed) with me.

Interview

Choyty,

I forgot to add: After the interview you will be asked whether you want to wait in the first floor for oath letter or have them mail it to you. Tell the interviewer that you want to wait. Then go to the first floor, relax in that huge waiting room for 30 minutes and they will give your oath letter. Since your interview is at 9:55, if everything goes smooth, you can walk out of INS by 11:30 with oath letter in hand. Oath is usually the second or third friday from the day of your interview (as far I noticed). Good luck. I noticed many members of this forum are waiting for their oath letter. I hope their wait is over soon.

N-400 intv experience

I was scheduled for interview yesterday 9:55 A.M at Garden City, NY. I wanted to take LIRR from Flatbush/Atlantic Avenue station. As I went there to catch 7:50 train to Hemstead, I found that the station was closed due to heavy smoke at the track. All services were temporarily suspended to and from this station until further notice. As the clock was ticking, my heart bit started to up as well. I was hoping to catch the next train which leaves at 8:36 A.M and reaches to Hempstead at 9:26 A.M. At about 8:20 all services were resumed from the station, and I arrived at Hempstead station around 9:35. I took a cab from there, and I was at the immigration office in less than 10 minutes. After security check when I handed in my letter, the time stamp they put was exactly 9:55 A.M. I was relived for not being late. I was told to go up stair, there I handed in my letter, and then I was told to wait. There were about 30/40 people waiting, some of them were very nervous memorizing the sample 100 Q/A.

I was called for the interview around 12:00. I was interviewed by a Chinese woman who was extremely rude. She was interviewing me, and at the same time she was discussing with her colleague from her desk about a couple who didn’t bring enough paper, and she suspects that they came up to this far submitting fake docs bla…bla… I was interviewed in a big room where there were no cubicles, officers were sitting face to face, and could share their personal view about cases. No privacy was maintained. The first question she asked me was if I was arrested? I said no, then she asked me why I checked yes to the question “ If you were cited, arrested…. ? “ Then I said to her that I was summoned for speeding ticket. She asked me for receipt of the payment. I didn’t have the receipt with me, but I took driver’s abstract with me, and gave that to her. She replied back saying speeding ticket has nothing to do with this question, you made my job harder, now I have to go to my supervisor to approve your case bla.. bla...bla.. I told her that the dictionary meaning of citation was “an official summons to appear (as before a court) “. She then said to me no one would catch this if I didn’t mention this. I replied her back saying I didn’t want to give any false information. She then gave 10 printed questions. I was asked to read them, and answer them verbally. I didn’t have any problem answering them. She then dictated me to write three sentences, and I wrote them too. She then went through my application. I mentioned her that I answered question 33 wrongly, said no instead of yes. She asked me how old I was when I got my GC, I replied over 30. She also verified that with my date of birth, and said I don’t have to worry about this question since I was over 30. To my understanding, she even didn’t understand what the question was asking. Anyway, I reminded her that the question was asking something else. She didn’t pay any attention to me, but proceeded to next questions. She even didn’t give me the chance to give my affidavit that I took with me. She then asked me for my 5 years Tax return, and took them all. After this she asked me if I wanted to get the oath for next Friday, and if I was interested to take the letter with me or by mail. This was the only sweet conversation we had during our 30 min interview. I gladly told her that I would like to take the letter with me. She then ordered me, yes she ordered me ( that’s how she was sounded to me ) to wait down stairs to pick up the oath letter. While I was waiting to pick up my oath letter, it seemed to me that oath letter was given to almost everyone. At about 2:30 I got my oath letter, and headed back to home.

Few suggestions:

Never under estimate these officers. Not all of them are nice and courteous. You may meet someone like me, so don’t be surprised. Have lots of patience even if the officer gives you a dirty look, because you will never have to meet the interviewer again. Take all the relevant documents with you and produce them only when you are asked.

I have benefited a lot from this forum, and thank everyone from the bottom of my heart. Good luck to everyone.

Here is my time line:

PD-------------------------------------6/18/03
FP-------------------------------------8/8/03
2nd FP---------------------------------11/30/04
Intv. Letter received----------------1/21/05
Intv.-----------------------------------3/22/05
Oath is in Garden City-------------3/31/05

-----Choyty------