N-400 status for NYC

Surprisingly fast processing

Hi, I've been lurking on this site for some time and just wanted to add my N400 timeline.

PD and FD were both in April 2005, and my interview has been scheduled for November 15! I'm absolutely amazed that the NYC DO moved this quickly, especially since the USCIS site is still at July 2004 PDs!

Hope this gives other New Yorkers some hope. :)

My Parents Interview Experince in NYC

Hi

as my signature says, The interview was scheduled at 26 Federal Plaza instead of Garden City (10 min from our house) but anyways

we got there about 30 min before time. As soon as we handed over our interview letters, my mom was called in and 10 min later my Dad was called in. So they were both called in even before their actual official interview time although there were a lot of people waiting in the hall(how amazing is that).

My Mom experience: The interviewer was normal, not rude and not really very nice. He asked her if she speaks English and my mom replied "Yes" then he went over the application and asked the same questions that was on the application basically the questions with yes or no answers. After this, he asked her English/Civil/history questions. Everything from that list of 100 questions.
written test: He asked her to write "a man wanted to find a job"
reading test: He asked her to read " Mrs Rose wants to go and buy something"
after that he handed a letter that says "you have passed tests of English and US history" and congrats your application is recommended for approval" he asked her to wait outside for her oath letter. After about 15 min she was handed a letter of oath for Nov 22nd at Brooklyn federal court house

My Dad exprerience : My dad had a little different expreince. The interviewer was nicer than my Mom's. She asked him basically the same type of questions as my Mom's interviewer on history, English and civic topics. The only thing extra she asked for is "letter of conduct" from Police plaza. She explained that although the name check and fingerprinting was done by FBI, the finger prints were not readable on two tries and they want a letter from local police and want to make sure he had no records. The police plaza is only a couple of blocks from the federal plaza but they need atleast 2 weeks to process this request. So my father couldn't make the Oath ceramony on Nov 22nd. He will pick up his letter of conduct on the same day(nov 22nd) as my Mom's Oath day. I don't know how often they have oath ceramonies in Brooklyn. Does any one know?

The interview being on election day, I was sure that the interviewer will ask something about voting or register to vote and I made sure they know the answer to everything about voting. I was right, they were both asked " If you ever had voted or registered to vote in US". They both answered correctly with a smile

Over all, the I see a good improvement in processing compared to my time in 1998 and my wife's time in 2002. The employees are nicer and people are called in every second. Looks like they are not under-staffed any more.

My recommendation: get a good conduct certificate anyways. It cost $30, money orders only , no cash and no credit card and it takes two weeks to be processed but it might saves some time

any questions/comments

good luck everyone

It's done!

Just got my oath letter last night--feels better than winning the Mega Millions (almost). :D

Here's my timeline:

PD: 4/8/05
FD: 5/11/05
Interview: 11/15/05 (Garden City, LI)
Oath Letter Received: 11/22/05
Oath Ceremony: 12/8/05 (Cadman Plaza, Brooklyn)

Whatever got the CIS to move at a less-than-glacial pace, I'm eternally thankful for.

oath

Hi

we went to the oath ceremony yesterday in Cadman plaza, Brooklyn for my Mom. It takes about about 3 to 4 hours from start to finish. You don't have to be right on time, its just that you will be processed as first come first served. I saw people comming at 9AM instead of 8AM scheduled time. The actual oath ceremony was held at 11AM, before that, they were just calling people one by one and have them sign their certificate of citizenship.

Just for the people who are interested, there is a oath ceremony held there everyday except Monday.

and yeah no cameras allowed in the courthouse.

zeeman said:
It takes about about 3 to 4 hours from start to finish.

Ugh, that sucks! I was hoping to come in to work a little later than usual, now I have to take a full day off and I'm out of personal days.

Yeah, I know I'm a whiner. :p

Federal Plaza Interview— Had Dual A#'s and Got a Request for Info..

Friends;

I had posted my request for Federal Plaza interview info on another thread... I had the interview today.

Interview started on time at 7:00am. Lady was tough and scrutinized every detail. Unfortunately for me two things came up...

(i) She said I had two A#'s - I assume this was becasue I went Consular after I485 was filed and Consulate gave me a new A#. She then said she would have to request the old A# file and that would take time (How long? She didn't know....)

(ii) Then she continued scrutinizing...especially times out of U.S. this was okay. Whew....then she looked at my employment history since I was Work Based green card holder. She noticed that I had only stayed 3 months with employer after greencard. This was because I had gone on to study for a masters... She then said she needs proof of employment dates and that I requested for and was granted education leave.... Luckily for me knowing that this kind of thing was possible down the line, I filed everything by the book with the company and they are sending me official letter and will attach copies of my educational leave paperwork. (** Guys this is a big reason never to burn bridges as I still had good relationship**)

So I am back in the queue. I won't even try to figure out how long it might take. I will just submit the docs once I get it (*Hope and Pray*) and just have a good holiday season....

N.B. Just in case you wonder I never returned to employer after masters program. As I was graduating it was during the recession (2002) and there were layoffs rather than hirings...

Please see timeline below

Happy Holidays.....

Regional USCIS: VSC
Local DO: NY
Priority Date: April 7, 2005
Finger prints: June 22, 2005
Online Status Disappeared: October 5, 2005
Interview Letter Received: October 10, 2005
Interview Date: 7:00am - November 23, 2005 (Federal Plaza NY)
Request for Info Submitted - ?
Oath - ?

Received Oath Notification By Phone

Friends;

I received an early christmas present today. It was a weird and unpredicatble phone call from USCIS. The lady introduced herself and immediately I felt that it was a problem. She calmed me down and proceeded to invite me for oath on December 27th at NY City College of Tech. I am overjoyed and so happy that the journey is almost over. I had had a difficult interview (Read previous posts - (hard interview and double A#s)) but I am well releived. Please see full details below....

Thanks to all and Seasons Greetings.....

Regional USCIS: VSC
Local DO: NY
Priority Date: April 7, 2005
Finger prints: June 22, 2005
Online Status Disappeared: October 5, 2005
Interview Letter Received: October 10, 2005
Interview Date: 7:00am - November 23, 2005 (Federal Plaza NY)
Request for Info Submitted - December 5, 2005
Oath - December 27, 2005 (Notified by Phone on December 23, 2005)

Name: Frank
State: New York
Date filed: 10/19/2004
Date fingerprinted: 1/13/2005
Date interviewed: 9/16/2005
Date oath taken: 9/22/2005

My Interview appointment was scheduled for 9.15 am, 26 Federal Plaza NYC. I arrived at 8.30 am, was directed to the 7th floor. Took a seat at 8.35 am, my name was called at 8.45 am. Interview over & passed by 9.15 am. I raised my hand swore to tell the truth etc.
Personal Questions:
Had I been out of the country, for more than 6 months.
Had I taken or sold drugs?
Had I been involved in prostitution?
Had I been a Member of Communist party or Nazi Party?
I was then asked each of the questions, I had answered on the N400. He asked me some questions about my children & my work. He also asked me if I was still married, even though I did not apply on the basis of marriage. I gave him 5 years Tax transcripts, 2 copies of paid minor traffic tickets (In 16 years, he made a polite comment), Green Card & Driving License. He visually looked at my Old & New Passports. I wrote one short sentence (The interviewer began the sentence & asked me to write & finish it) I read a short paragraph & was verbally asked 11 questions from the 100 practice test (19, 26, 29, 42, 47, 70, 73, 77, 80, 92, 97). The interviewer asked if I would like to wait for my Oath letter, I said yes & was told to take a seat outside.
9.30 am, my name was called & I was handed a "Oath Ceremony Letter" for 9/22/2005 @ York College Jamaica Queens.

The Oath Ceremony, was very unimpressive, "No bells & whistles. No wine, no coffee, no cake". We did not even go on the stage to be handed the Certificate. Several officers stood at the front of each section & called out the names, it was a bit chaotic.

Ps. The Interviewer, said he was “Very Impressed, I had all my docs & copies in a neat pile.” I used colored sheets to separate, the docs. I think, this got me in & out pretty sharply. Good Luck to all.

Reg. Frank R.

waiting for a looooooooooooooong time

I don't think any one has such a bad experience as I do, but I still would like to share it with you, and maybe hear any suggestions or opinions. I don't remember the details, but here how my citizenship story goes:

Interview 10/2003, i passed the citizenship test and the officer told me to wait for the answer in the mail. Well it has been 2 and half years (this october will be 3 years), that i have not been called to take an oath. I have gone back to Garden City like a million times, and they keep telling me that they are doing security checks. Does the security check take three years? It is ridiculuos, I don't know what to think or do anymore. I have sent letters to Sentators Schumer and Clinton, but to no avail. I am not sure where else i can turn or call for help. The biggest problem of all is that my wife is pregnant we are expecting our first baby this July, but she has a deportation status, and our only hope is my citizenship, but it is taking forever, and i am just afraid that it will be too late.

This is my time line, Although I live in Queens, I am scheduled to have the interview in 26 Federal Plaza ( manhattan ) on April 14, 1hr09mnts ride on a subway.

What dress code and courtesy do you suggest?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update to all New yorkers

Since my interview got canceled due to “ unforeseen circumstances “ on 03/22/2006 , I have not heard any thing from the USCIS yet, on my last call to the Customer Services, I was told by an IIO that my file is put back to the queue for interview scheduling.

I am hoping for the best.

I found an even more ancient thread for NYC -- the last update, in MAY!!

I find it really hard to believe that on a board this active, there are no NYC folks. So, it means the NYC folks are completely unwilling to share their experience. C'mon folks, play nice. We all depend on one another.

So, PLEASE, NYC people, UPDATE THIS THREAD!!! I had to do a search to find this, it was so buried. Any info is much appreciated and is very useful.

PD: I honestly don't know b/c they took my letter at the interview. I think it is probably late April/early May (will try to find some info)
FP: June
Interview: 8/24
Oath: 8/25

Foreverafter, I totally feel for you -- any luck getting any more info and getting a new date? NYC is supposed to be processing Jan 22 - which, I hope, means that you are due to be cleared?

Edited -- I found my dates (from my FP notice).
PD: April 28
FP: June 1
Int: Aug 24
Oath: Aug 25

I guess that's the point, right -- it is not about just me. I had almost no recent experience from NY to draw on and I didn't like that. I'd like to help correct that for others in the future by asking people to contribute.

When you take, give back. Apparently not everyone believes that... Kinda' sad.

Filed Application

I fedexed my N-400 to VSC yesterday.. will keep the details posted as I learn about them.

I live in NY , sent my N-400 to Vermont Center, but will have interview in Garden City, NY

My timeline

Citizenship Timeline
D/O : NYC
05/18/06 :N400 mailed to VSC
05/22/06 :N400 VSC Received Date
05/22/06 :N400 VSC Priority Date
05/31/06 :N400 VSC Notice Date
06/01/06 :N400 FP Notification Notice Date
06/15/06 :FP Appointment
06/28/06 : Naturalization Interview Notice Date
08/23/06 : Interview Date
08/25/06 : Oath Date

Passport Timeline
08/25/06 : Passport application/drop-off date
09/01/06 : Passport received (will be received – mailed already on 8/31/06)

Details of my experience --
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?p=1502782#post1502782

D/O : NYC
08/28/06 :N400 mailed to VSC
09/01/06 :Check Cashed
xx/xx/xx :N400 VSC R.Date
xx/xx/xx :N400 VSC P.Date