N-400 status for NYC

choyty

Registered Users (C)
Has any one recently received interview/oath letter from NYC? Please share your time line. Mine is

PD: 07/03
FP: 08/03
Intv:Haven't heard yet.
5/21/04:Called USCIS they said that they will reply me back in 3/4 weeks with the current status, but that past by too and haven't heard from them. Planning to call them tomorrow again.
5/27/04:Inquired with local USCIS ( 26 Federal Plaza ) 5/04 they told me my file was still with VSC.
6/14/04 Sent letter to FBI/Name check
6/15/04 Sent letter to Chuck Schumer for an inquiry, but not sure whether they got my letter or not. I called several times to Senator's office but I was told to wait 3 months before I can hear anything from them. But when I asked the lady if they keep any record of the people who are requesting for this inquiry, and if they have received my letter, I was transfered to a VM. I left msg couple of times but never heard back from them. The reason I asked the lady if they have received my letter or not simply because I didn't want to hear from them after waiting 3 months that they ( Senator's office ) never received my letter in the first place. I visited Senator's office in Manhattan, they suggested me to send all the info via regular mail, but not via certified mail. I did exactly what they told me to do, and now I don't know if they got my mail or not, or if they are really in the process of checking my N-400 status with USCIS. It's really frustrating. Did anyone have similar exp with senator? Let me know what should I do to expedite the process. Thank you all in advance.

Choyty

Last edited by a moderator:
Per USCIS's website processing dates for N-400 in NYC were 5/19/03 when it was updated on 6/16/03. Hopefully, you should hear soon for an interview.

Sg Orl,
Don't believe in USCIS'S processing time. Processing time for NYC was Nov'03 in May, and currently they are processing 5/19/03. I think it's a joke, and USCIS tries to joke with us every possible way.

Processing dates do matter

Choyty,

I saw that in many places the dates were rolled back last month. If you want to make an inquiry with a congressman or a senator, they only would do when your PD is current. (Actually when processing date is more than 30 days past your PD)...

You just have to wait a couple more months to be called for interview - NYC is not the fastest USCIS local office...

Good luck!

Choyty,

I have an N-400 pending in Orlando with:
PD: 5/8/03
FP: 6/13/03

I scheduled an online appointment and went to the USCIS office today to find out the processing dates. It's funny when I asked about my application, the gentleman looked it up in the computer and said it's still in TSC. Orlando office has only got applications with the PD of April 2003. When I pressed to ask about what priority dates they are currently inviewing the applicants for. He went inside and said that he talked with one of the officers and they are currently interviewing applicants with the PD of May 2002.

This left me comletely confused! Well, I showed him the printout from the USCIS website that had the N-400 PD of 01/24/03. After that he had a blank look on his face. But luckily at that time the Orlando sub-office chief was walking by and this gentleman asked him while I was standing. Guess what, the Orlando office is processing the N-400 applications with the PD of March 2003 now. Since I have a PD of 5/8/03 and Orlando sub-office chief said I should hear in August. I would like to believe that. But will find in another month.

You may want to schedule an appointment at the USCIS office and ask for the status in person. It may or may not help, but could be worth a try.

Thanks,

Hi Guys...What is the best way to contact your congressman/senator for N-400? My application has now been pending for more than 2 yrs....I already had the interview 4 months back..now waiting for the Oath....the information officer at the INS keep saying it is a matter of days now since the file is just waiting with an officer...but it has already been 2 months since he said that...

thanks..

Choyty,

Pl. try your congressman (representative). He may help.

Chanakya, N400LA,--Thanks. I have already contacted with Charles Schumer's office. They advised me to wait 3 months. I guess the only thing I can do now is to wait with patience.

Sg_orl---As I told you before that USCIS is a very mysterious dept, and their act of doing things are more mysterious than you can think of. It's not unusual to get different answer from different people for the same case. I am sure ( eventhough I do't hope that ) if you would have gone an hour or two later to inquire about the same case but with a different person, you would be bewildered with a 3rd opinion. Yes my friend that's how they work, and we have to live with that as long as we want to immigrate to this country. So I advise myself as I advise you to be patience while dealing with USCIS.
Hi Guys...What is the best way to contact your congressman/senator for N-400? My application has now been pending for more than 2 yrs....I already had the interview 4 months back..now waiting for the Oath....the information officer at the INS keep saying it is a matter of days now since the file is just waiting with an officer...but it has already been 2 months since he said that...

thanks..
Citizen2004, I feel sorry for you. You should have take help from your local Senato or congress men long time ago. Anyway here are the links http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm
http://congress.org/congressorg/dbq/officials/
Hope this will help you. Wish you good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
In response to my fax sent to FBI on 6/8/04 for my name check status, I was notified by FBI via email on 7/12/04 that a record check for me was completed on 7/14/03, and results were sent to USCIS. Now my question is:

1) Does the name check process start after finger print is given or does it start before that?
According to FBI's response it seems to me that my name check process started before my FP was given ( I gave FP on 8/8/03 ).

2) When FBI says that results were sent to USCIS does that mean that my name check was completed?

Thanks
choyty

Case Status Online N400

can we check the case status of N400 application online after receiving the application number (a number that look like this ECR*224......)

I tried to check but it didnt work

can any one know when it will work? is it after finger prints?

thankx

choyty,
You are in NYC and its about a year since you applied and you have not got interview letter. Does not seem very unusual to me. ITs a normal wait time in NY , is it not?

In populous states, Senators will be buzy, try the local Congressman instead. Also why not visit the local DO a few times and find out what the deal is? Your name check is all set. Then what are they waiting on? Also call the USCIS hotline and ask to speak to an immig officer they have full access to ur files

Rahul,
I didn't expect to be done with N400 process in a year applying from NYC
But I am little nervous and anxious when I see people are done with their process with in a year ( Ex:lucky guys like P8055, Ratrat ). I went to DO on May 27, 04, and as per your suggestion I plan to revisit them again next week
taking my name check confirmaton letter from FBI with me. But I don't think they would be helpful. The reason last time they showed interest to my case because of on line status. It showed processing time for NYC was Nov 2003. At present it shows May 19, 2003 ( haven't changed yet as I write this msg ).
So my guess is that when I go to NYC DO, they will say I still have to wait ( easy answer for them, but very hard for me ). I have the same exp with calling USCIS. When I called them, and gave my case #, they see currently NYC is processing May 19, 2003. You know what they told me "Wait". But I had never asked to speak with "Immigration Officer". Indeed I thought they are the Immigration Officer. Correct me if I am wrong. Did you personally asked to s/w an Immigration Officer when called to USCIS? What was your exp?

Thanks
Choyty

Today I got a letter form senator's office ( Charles Schrmmer ) in response to my inquiry for N-400. The actual letter was from USCIS and it read " Your file is placed in the computer queue (I knew this also from local office, and it is in queue since 8/27/03 ) to send to your local office. Your back ground check is completed, and your FP is valid until Nov 5th 2004. We will send you a letter atleast 2 weeks before the interview". I guess at this point I have nothing to do but to wait. Any thoughts, suggestions? Please share your NYC time line.

Thanks
Choyty

choyty...

where do u live in NY...city area or long island????
because i had trouble with my case when i was in NY and charles schumer;s office////LOL they are joke...they never helped me...took my request but no outcome.

congresswoman carolyn mcarthy was the one in garden city long island who helped me in 20 days. and i had answer from uscis...it wasnt a good answer which i wanted but still door to me curosity was open since 9 months went by after my interview and no answer. and i kept looking for oath letter in my mail box and made a big fool of myself.

now i am in texas...and my file is stuck in NY DO. and once again months will go by without interview because of NY DO. I wish if we were dealing with nonprofit organization , i find them much easier to work with and they really do their job. i always thaught to be lucky to have green card, and i still do BUT this process of naturalization sux like no other. almost three years and still no citizenship.

Choyty, I am prayng for you...

My situation was weird...got the interview letter early, but the actual interview was 14 months from PD...

Other people got their interview letter right before the interview at the 14-15 month stage...

In my office, we call the Help Desk the Helpless Desk...we need to coin something like that for USCIS....

Ratrat

shaky said:
choyty...

where do u live in NY...city area or long island????
because i had trouble with my case when i was in NY and charles schumer;s office////LOL they are joke...they never helped me...took my request but no outcome.

Shaky---I am from Brooklyn. I never had a chance to meet with some one from Charles Schummer's office. I was told to mail my info to them, and then they will take care. So when I mailed my info to them, I called several times to find out if they had received my mail, and left them msg with my phone #, but to my astonishment no one called me back. I was not sure if they had sent my inquiry to USCIS, and gave up my hope with them. Anyway, I am glad that they did the inquiry on behalf of me. I hope I don't have to go to them agin for this matter.

ratrat said:
Choyty, I am prayng for you...

My situation was weird...got the interview letter early, but the actual interview was 14 months from PD...

Other people got their interview letter right before the interview at the 14-15 month stage...

In my office, we call the Help Desk the Helpless Desk...we need to coin something like that for USCIS....

Ratrat

Ratrat----Thanks for your support.

I thought N-400 got stuck for NYC, but good to hear that people are done with their interview & oath. As I read post from http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/...ad.php?t=245844 I found someone with PD 04/2003 is still waiting for interview, where as another person with PD 8/03 got his interview date for Mid October. So it seems to me that the people who are waiting with PD April 03 and on got stuck in the USCIS’s pipe line, and are screwed up. I am really worried now. Did what I was supposed to do ( tried to get help from Congress man, Mayor etc ) but now I don't know what to do. Getting hope less day by day.

choyty said:
I thought N-400 got stuck for NYC, but good to hear that

Hi choyty, the processing date in new york was may
and now it is octoer 19, that is mean that they are processing all PDs before Oct 19,2003 your PD si July 2003 so i hope that you will have your interview letter soon
good luck

Djamel,
I hope you are right, but unfortunately USCIS doesn't work that way. In May USCIS's web site showed that they were processing appl. of Nov 03,Jun & July showed appl. of May 19, 03, and now in Aug it shows Oct 03. What happened to people who filed bet Jun, 03 to Sep 03. Are those files lost ( hope not, I fall into that time frame too )? So, there is no way you can speculate USCIS's work ethics. I am loosing my hope day by day.

Choty