N-400 San Francisco timeline

SF DO Ceremony Experience: Paramount Theater, Oakland

Finally done with the Oath Ceremony today and applied for my passport. Families are in the upper balcony and there doesn't seem to be any restriction there on food/drink or dvd players/video games etc as long as you use a headphone.

We did have a constant chorus of kids wailing, so in short, it is OK to take your kids with you. We took our 2yr 8 month old son and he was OK. The various videos being shown during the program do help by distracting the kids for a bit (He did complain to his mommy that there were no animals in the movies.)

A few things that may help others going to the Paramount Theater in Oakland:
1. Parking is impossible - even in Oakland. We got there at 9 and I drove around for 25 minutes before my wife just dropped me off outside Paramount theater and ended up parking in a garage on Harrison street (about a quarter mile away).
2. They start the pre-ceremonies around 9:35 or so, so you really do need to be there on time. (That is where someone tells you what to expect during the naturalization ceremony, cracks a bunch of jokes, attempts to welcome everyone in several languages etc. Quite entertaining)
3. As this person put it, the Oath is not a test. His said that "The Oath was written a long time ago and has language in it that may seem odd to some of you. So if you don't agree with parts of the Oath, it's OK to leave them out, but try to say most of it" (so you can leave out 'so help me god' at the end if that troubles you).
4. If you are applying for a passport, you need to bring the form they gave you at the Interview as it is a special form that can only be used at the Oath Ceremony. You cannot take that form to the Post Office to apply later, nor can you use an online printed form to apply at the Oath ceremony.
5. Don't fill out your check for the passport fees. They may change. (Which also means that a money order would have been useless today). They added 11 cents to the overnight return postage so I had to make a change to my check. Having said that, I don't know why the online application 'strongly recommends' that overnight mail be used for the passport return. I spoke with the lady who administered the passport Oath and she told me that the passport is sent out priority mail with tracking and delivery confirmation. So the $14.96 additional for express mail is really a waste of money unless you're also expediting the passport as well (which I wasn't).
6. They sang the national anthem before administering the Oath. I think that was odd. It should have been the first thing AFTER administering the Oath. ('Congratulations new citizens. Please remain standing for the national anthem' instead of 'hey you citizens of all these countries, sing our national anthem')
7. There was a snafu with the President's message where they couldn't move on to the next video. We heard Obama congratulate us 3 times as they kept starting and stopping the same video. Then they fast forwarded it - to everyone's amusement...
8. Other stuff was really mundane.. like watching little patriotic video and slide shows. Took me back to my childhood where short patriotic clips would play in movie theaters before the main movie.
9. Certificates were handed out while we were seated at around 10:50 or so. Basically several old dudes were standing in the theater aisles and calling out names they couldn't pronounce in a voice that nobody could hear (the theater gets noisy once people start moving about). I just went and stood near the guy in the aisle so I could see when my certificate came up.
10. Signed my certificate (and as expected fouled up my signature). Not too worried about it as this certificate will not see the light of day once I get it back from the Passport Office.
11. Fought my way out of the theater. It seems that old habits die hard. (For those who don't know how to move in jam-packed crowds, move diagonally). Perhaps that was also due to the fact that the Chinese/Indian delegation probably was about a third of the people being naturalized at Oakland today (China lost 250+ citizens at Oakland today - the most of the 103 countries represented) and people from densely populated places just don't have the concept of 'personal space'.
12. Bought a $5 'premium' naturalization certificate folder outside.
13. Checked my watch: 11:15 am

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrat GungaDin!! and thanks to your clear depictiond of the Oath Ceremony at the Paramount Theatre in Oakland. I am still waiting for my oath letter as I passed my Citizenship interview on 2/25/10 2 days before my 5 years anniversary. I am shooting for the 3/25/10 Oath ceremony at the Paramount. Do you think my expectation is realistic? The officer that administered my interview that day told me that I should be getting an oath letter for the 3/10 or 3/25 the latest but some people have been waiting longer than that.

Congrat GungaDin!! and thanks to your clear depictiond of the Oath Ceremony at the Paramount Theatre in Oakland. I am still waiting for my oath letter as I passed my Citizenship interview on 2/25/10 2 days before my 5 years anniversary. I am shooting for the 3/25/10 Oath ceremony at the Paramount. Do you think my expectation is realistic? The officer that administered my interview that day told me that I should be getting an oath letter for the 3/10 or 3/25 the latest but some people have been waiting longer than that.

Thanks. I would call USCIS. 3/25 is only 2 weeks away...

1. Parking is impossible - even in Oakland. We got there at 9 and I drove around for 25 minutes before my wife just dropped me off outside Paramount theater and ended up parking in a garage on Harrison street (about a quarter mile away).
2. They start the pre-ceremonies around 9:35

Congrat ....and many thanks..this is helpful!:cool:
I dont want to take any more time off work so ama do bart from SF
and be back to the office in time for lunch.

I'm in same boat as you Asy. I was interviewed exactly on my 5 year GC anniversary, which was 2/25 and was told that I could expect to take Oath mid or late March. Oath letter is nowhere in sight. I'm thinking maybe 4/15 is more likely. My timeline below:

12/07/09 - Receipt
12/25/09 - FP notice recd
01/11/09 - FP done (as scheduled)
01/20/09 - Yellow Letter (to bring DL)
01/25/09 - Interview notice recd
02/25/09 - Interview date (recommended for approval)

Gungadin, Congratulations! Does your folder have the name of the manufacturer or do you remember what the seller's business name was? The reason I ask is they don't sell those here on oath days and would like to try to order it online or from the seller.

GungaDin and Talkative,

I have just recieved my Oath Letter yesterday in the mail box and my Oath Ceremony is on 3/25 at the Paramount Theatre!!!

GungaDin: Do I need to answer all the 8 questions on the back of the Oath Letter now or do it during the Oath ceremony? And do you think it's better to apply my passport there at the ceremony or at the post office? i think I want to expedite it since the normal processing time will be prolonged after the fee hike proposal last week.

Taklative: Expect your oath letter this week. Should be there very soon :)

Gungadin, Congratulations! Does your folder have the name of the manufacturer or do you remember what the seller's business name was? The reason I ask is they don't sell those here on oath days and would like to try to order it online or from the seller.

Nope, They are made in Mexico and sold by unlicensed street vendors. the type you hear shouting 'Premium folder! 5 dollar!' 'Cheap Folder! only 3 Dollar" (yes, I did leave out the 's' after Dollar on purpose)

GungaDin and Talkative,

I have just recieved my Oath Letter yesterday in the mail box and my Oath Ceremony is on 3/25 at the Paramount Theatre!!!

GungaDin: Do I need to answer all the 8 questions on the back of the Oath Letter now or do it during the Oath ceremony? And do you think it's better to apply my passport there at the ceremony or at the post office? i think I want to expedite it since the normal processing time will be prolonged after the fee hike proposal last week.

Taklative: Expect your oath letter this week. Should be there very soon :)

You need to fill out the answers after you arrive at the Paramount Theater. Don't do it ahead of time.
Unless you are actually planning on traveling within 2 weeks, you can apply for expedited processing at the ceremony (like I said earlier, take your checkbook with you as the fee could change at the last moment). IMO overnight return is a waste of money as Priority mail with delivery confirmation is already included in the PP fee. (worst case, it'll add 2 days to your passport receipt)

Finally done with the Oath Ceremony today and applied for my passport. Families are in the upper balcony and there doesn't seem to be any restriction there on food/drink or dvd players/video games etc as long as you use a headphone.

We did have a constant chorus of kids wailing, so in short, it is OK to take your kids with you. We took our 2yr 8 month old son and he was OK. The various videos being shown during the program do help by distracting the kids for a bit (He did complain to his mommy that there were no animals in the movies.)

2. They start the pre-ceremonies around 9:35 or so, so you really do need to be there on time. (That is where someone tells you what to expect during the naturalization ceremony, cracks a bunch of jokes, attempts to welcome everyone in several languages etc. Quite entertaining)
3. As this person put it, the Oath is not a test. His said that "The Oath was written a long time ago and has language in it that may seem odd to some of you. So if you don't agree with parts of the Oath, it's OK to leave them out, but try to say most of it" (so you can leave out 'so help me god' at the end if that troubles you).
4. If you are applying for a passport, you need to bring the form they gave you at the Interview as it is a special form that can only be used at the Oath Ceremony. You cannot take that form to the Post Office to apply later, nor can you use an online printed form to apply at the Oath ceremony.
5. Don't fill out your check for the passport fees. They may change. (Which also means that a money order would have been useless today). They added 11 cents to the overnight return postage so I had to make a change to my check. Having said that, I don't know why the online application 'strongly recommends' that overnight mail be used for the passport return. I spoke with the lady who administered the passport Oath and she told me that the passport is sent out priority mail with tracking and delivery confirmation. So the $14.96 additional for express mail is really a waste of money unless you're also expediting the passport as well (which I wasn't).
6. They sang the national anthem before administering the Oath. I think that was odd. It should have been the first thing AFTER administering the Oath. ('Congratulations new citizens. Please remain standing for the national anthem' instead of 'hey you citizens of all these countries, sing our national anthem')
7. There was a snafu with the President's message where they couldn't move on to the next video. We heard Obama congratulate us 3 times as they kept starting and stopping the same video. Then they fast forwarded it - to everyone's amusement...
8. Other stuff was really mundane.. like watching little patriotic video and slide shows. Took me back to my childhood where short patriotic clips would play in movie theaters before the main movie.
9. Certificates were handed out while we were seated at around 10:50 or so. Basically several old dudes were standing in the theater aisles and calling out names they couldn't pronounce in a voice that nobody could hear (the theater gets noisy once people start moving about). I just went and stood near the guy in the aisle so I could see when my certificate came up.
10. Signed my certificate (and as expected fouled up my signature). Not too worried about it as this certificate will not see the light of day once I get it back from the Passport Office.
11. Fought my way out of the theater. It seems that old habits die hard. (For those who don't know how to move in jam-packed crowds, move diagonally). Perhaps that was also due to the fact that the Chinese/Indian delegation probably was about a third of the people being naturalized at Oakland today (China lost 250+ citizens at Oakland today - the most of the 103 countries represented) and people from densely populated places just don't have the concept of 'personal space'.

Hi GungaDin,
Congratulations !!!. Regarding Point #4. Why should we NOT submit an Online form at the Oath ceremony ?
The form that I got from the Interview is lost and I filled out an Online printed form. Why is this a problem. They both look the same ?

Hi GungaDin,
Congratulations !!!. Regarding Point #4. Why should we NOT submit an Online form at the Oath ceremony ?
The form that I got from the Interview is lost and I filled out an Online printed form. Why is this a problem. They both look the same ?

Thanks.
Perhaps someone who still has the form from the SF interview can post a scan of the bottom part Page 1 (of 2) of the blank Form.
In the Official section on page 1, just below the signature part there is some space for the accepting officer to sign and place the seal. The form you got at the Interview has this section already filled out (Oath administered at Naturalization ceremony). If you submit the online form, there is no way to tell whether you swore under Oath that your form was filled out truthfully so it may delay your Passport. At our ceremony, about a 1000 people applied for their passports. The couple of ladies accepting the forms just won't be able to administer the oath to you and sign the form. (You'll have to climb over several people just to get to them)

I think you should take the online filled form with you.
(as per the instructions, DO NOT staple the pictures on the form).
The Passport people are in the entrance area and let them know that you lost the form. They should be able to get you one of the special forms. Then, just copy the information from your online form and turn it in.

Thanks for your reply GungaDin. I will just do what you have mentioned. I will take the On-line form and ask the Passport folks there. If they say, I need to fill out the special form, then I will get one and fill it out right there. It may not take more than 10 minutes to fill that out.

All,

I got a mail saying "Your case has been transferred to a local office and an interview will be scheduled.", however have not received anything in regular usps mail. I got update on 3/9 should i be concerned or is it common not to recieve anything by usps mail immediately??

Thanks in advance for your response. Have a nice day.

-Vijay

I had my interview last Tuesday, Mar 16.

I got there just 8 minutes before my appointment, which was at 9:15am. I was kicking myself for not leaving early because I had to weave through the traffic in downtown SF. If there had been an accident, or if not for the parking lot conveniently located in front of the USCIS office, I would have been screwed. But anyway, I passed. It was over in 20 minutes. The officer went through each item in my application form, verifying the information I had written down was correct. I had been to Mexico and Canada since filing my app, so the officer made a notification on that. Also, he asked if I had been issued a traffic ticket, and I said yes and showed him a receipt of the payment along with a note that said I completed the driving school.

After the interview, he gave me a piece of paper that said I had passed the English/History test and that "a decision can not be made at this time" - because I haven't reached my 5 year residency. So now I just have to wait, I guess within a month I should get my oath letter.

Update on my N-400 app
SF DO
5 Year Resident, Oath eligible 4/8/2010
-----------------------------

01/08/2010: Mailed N-400 via FedEx
01/11/2010: N-400 Delivered in Phoenix, AZ at 10:15AM signed by T EDLEMAN
01/14/2010: Check cashed
01/14/2010: NOA notice date
01/19/2010: NOA received. Priority date 01/13/2010
01/22/2010: RFE mailed
01/29/2010: RFE received
02/01/2010: FP done. Walk-in.
02/07/2010: IL received
02/08/2010: Original FP Appointment
03/16/2010: ID --- PASSED :)

Interview today before eligibility date, recommended for approval

Hi
I had my interview today and at the end I got the form N-652 where the line
'Congratulations.Your application has been recommended for approval' is checked.
I was told by the gentlemen who interviewed me that I would receive a letter within 30 days
either telling me the oath date or asking for more evidence if needed.
To the people on the board who got approved: Did you get the same at the end of your
interview?

By the way, my eligibility date is March 28 and today is March 17. Other people on this board
who had their interview before their eligibility date got a 'no decision can be made yet'.
Did anybody have a situation similar to mine?

Best
jetzt

Hi
I had my interview today and at the end I got the form N-652 where the line
'Congratulations.Your application has been recommended for approval' is checked.
I was told by the gentlemen who interviewed me that I would receive a letter within 30 days
either telling me the oath date or asking for more evidence if needed.
To the people on the board who got approved: Did you get the same at the end of your
interview?

By the way, my eligibility date is March 28 and today is March 17. Other people on this board
who had their interview before their eligibility date got a 'no decision can be made yet'.
Did anybody have a situation similar to mine?

Best
jetzt

You either got VERY lucky or the SF DO has changed their procedures within the last 2 days (I'm hoping it is the latter). The Oath Date is the only one that matters so it is silly to delay approving cases knowing that there is no chance that the applicant will get an Oath date before their eligibility (especially as the Interview process concludes only when you fill out the back of the oath letter and the that and the GC are taken away from you as you go in for your Oath).

SF DO Oath letters are mailed out I don't know of anybody walking out with the actual Oath letter.

Congratulations.

Thanks for your reply GungaDin. I will just do what you have mentioned. I will take the On-line form and ask the Passport folks there. If they say, I need to fill out the special form, then I will get one and fill it out right there. It may not take more than 10 minutes to fill that out.

(That's what I did). Remember to sign your Naturalization Certificate before you turn it in for the passport.

Interview experience

We had our interview today and wanted to share our experience..
- Interview was scheduled for 10:XXam.
- Reached the 2nd floor reception 10mins before our scheduled interview time.
- I was asked to remain in 2nd floor and was asked to wait for my name to be called
- My wife was sent to 3rd floor and was asked to wait till her name was called
- I was called near my interview time and my interview lasted for about 15mins and was a smooth process
- Review of N400 form
- 6 questions, reading and writing
- I received N-652 that said, you application has been recommended for approval
- N-652 for my wife said, a decision cannot yet be made about your application (she was told that they are waiting for name clearance).. Is there any way to check for this or just wait?

Thank You!

My oath is tomorow ...ama try swing back on occasion but i doubt it in all honesty.
Just wanted to leave a heartfelt thank you to everyone who answered my questions,
the forum moderators...owners..et all..this is a great community! :)
Regards