N-400 San Francisco timeline

My passport was issued in 1998 and expires next month. I also took my previous passports and the interviewer simply thumbed through both passports. He also asked when was the last time I traveled outside US.

Congratulations, NKM!
One question, in the N400 form, is it necessary to state that you had citations? I had 2 parking citation since I got green card. Someone told me it is not necessary to check the box of getting citations before. Someone told me it is necessary. I am confused.

If you had any citations you are required to list them. The question asked on N-400 is "have you ever been cited..."
Documentation for citation is required only if it is a traffic case involving fines over $500 or DUI.

My passport was issued in 1998 and expires next month. I also took my previous passports and the interviewer simply thumbed through both passports. He also asked when was the last time I traveled outside US.

During the last 5 years, I have been outside of the US for 8 times.
The total number days outside add up to be about 4 months...
(including one trip where I was on the sea for a whole month... on a
cruise)

so I should be fine, right? :confused:

During the last 5 years, I have been outside of the US for 8 times.
The total number days outside add up to be about 4 months...
(including one trip where I was on the sea for a whole month... on a
cruise)

so I should be fine, right? :confused:

yep, nothing to worry about! (mine added to 5.5 months and the IO didn't say anything at all)

nkm-oct23 and other guys that had the interview recently, can you please post when you receive your oath letter. anxiously waiting for mine.

N400 Interview Experience In SF

N400 Applied 08/13/2007
FP 01/03/2008 Oakland
Interview 04/21/2008
Oath scheduled on 05/20/2008
(Oath letter rcd on 28th April)

Interview was at SF office which had plenty of street parking, inside was spacious, modern design with flat screen TV's and split into A, B and C areas. Me and my spouse were given different sections to wait and inteviewed by different officers. Both of us were called in within 10 minutes of our appt time and we were out in less than 15 minutes. Simple 7 questions asked, the whole application gone thru in detail line by line, photographs signed, asked to write a simple sentence and I gave my additional trip dates to Canada on a sheet and that was it. No tax documents were asked and only my passport was seen and given back. The file with officer had my every application for all the years and was thick. The officers were very friendly and courteous to both of us and it was a great experience. We were both given letter saying congratulations and passport application forms to be used on the oath date. I am surprised that I got my oath letter so quickly.

This forum has been a great help to us with timelines and advice. Thanks everyone who contributed.

SF Oath Letter Status On Line

N400 Applied 08/13/2007
FP 01/03/2008 Oakland
Interview 04/21/2008
Oath scheduled on 05/20/2008
(Oath letter rcd on 28th April)

Interview was at SF office which had plenty of street parking, inside was spacious, modern design with flat screen TV's and split into A, B and C areas. Me and my spouse were given different sections to wait and inteviewed by different officers. Both of us were called in within 10 minutes of our appt time and we were out in less than 15 minutes. Simple 7 questions asked, the whole application gone thru in detail line by line, photographs signed, asked to write a simple sentence and I gave my additional trip dates to Canada on a sheet and that was it. No tax documents were asked and only my passport was seen and given back. The file with officer had my every application for all the years and was thick. The officers were very friendly and courteous to both of us and it was a great experience. We were both given letter saying congratulations and passport application forms to be used on the oath date. I am surprised that I got my oath letter so quickly.

This forum has been a great help to us with timelines and advice. Thanks everyone who contributed.

One more feedback for those waiting for oath letter. After I received the oath letter I checked my status online. It shows error message in red saying Case Status Retrieval Failed. It looks like the system may not be updating once Oath letter was mailed. The error message may be an indication letter is in mail?? Hope this helps.

oath letter received!

i received the oath letter for may 20th in the masonic center.

does anyone know how long the ceremony is and where is the closest/cheapest parking?

also, do they provide a place where one can apply for the EXPEDITED passport ? if so, what documentation does one need to bring?

thanks a lot and best of luck to everyone!

i received the oath letter for may 20th in the masonic center.

does anyone know how long the ceremony is and where is the closest/cheapest parking? also, do they provide a place where one can apply for the EXPEDITED passport ? if so, what documentation does one need to bring?

thanks a lot and best of luck to everyone!

I guess its around 3 hours, everything should be over by 11:30am. Not sure about the cheapest parking, but there are plenty around, also its much easier to take BART instead.

During my interview, they gave me an envelope containing passport application and all other details needed to apply for passport during the Oath ceremony. Per its instructions there will be a passport drop-box for applicants to submit the application at the ceremony.Didn't you get one?

Anyways this is what u need;
1. Completed passport application (DS-11)
2. Two recent pics
3. Original certificate of naturalization
4. Check or money order payable to " Department of State" (No cash).

$100
$100+$60 for expedited service (Add $16.25 for overnight mail)

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a parking in basement of masonic center itself. that is the best if you are driving. i used BART and walked up the hills. Its a nice walk frm Embarcadero bart station

One more feedback for those waiting for oath letter. After I received the oath letter I checked my status online. It shows error message in red saying Case Status Retrieval Failed. It looks like the system may not be updating once Oath letter was mailed. The error message may be an indication letter is in mail?? Hope this helps.

I don't think the online status is reliable.

In my case the online status was showing "Case Status Retrieval Failed" since the very first day they received my application and even now its showing the same. When I had called customer service few months back, they said that N-400 status are never available online.And there are others in this forum whose status disappeared when their application was sent to the DO, just too much of inconsistencies

Oath Letter Date

Did my interview on Apr 22/ now Oath is on May 20th. The interview was straightforward, no special docs reqd.

Captainpickard -

Could you post when you received the Oath Letter ? We have attended the interview on 4/29, a week from your interview date, and have not received the Oath Letter. Hoping to attend the 5/20 ceremony if possible. Thinking of taking an Infopass appt next week and wondered if that is needed. Thanks for your help.

I had my interview on April 24th and have not received oath letter yet..
Masonic Center possible oath dates are 5/20, 6/10, 6/24, 7/15, 7/29, 8/12, 8/26, 8/29..

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be there soon ?

I had my interview on April 24th and have not received oath letter yet..
Masonic Center possible oath dates are 5/20, 6/10, 6/24, 7/15, 7/29, 8/12, 8/26, 8/29..

nkm-oct23, I read your posting on the interview experience on 4/24. Ours is pretty much the same. The officer interviewed confirmed with me if my wife was interviewing on the same day just so he can schedule the Oath date for both of us on the same day. I asked him about the possibility of early May but he answered to the tune of 'more like late in May'.

I am thinking of waiting thru next week before starting to worry about the delay...

nkm-oct23, I read your posting on the interview experience on 4/24. Ours is pretty much the same. The officer interviewed confirmed with me if my wife was interviewing on the same day just so he can schedule the Oath date for both of us on the same day. I asked him about the possibility of early May but he answered to the tune of 'more like late in May'.

I am thinking of waiting thru next week before starting to worry about the delay...

According to the timelines of others in this forum, it appears that SF office typically sends out oath letters three weeks before the oath cermeony. Aiming for 6/10 oath ceremony, we should be receiving our oath letters around next week (week of 5/19)

According to the timelines of others in this forum, it appears that SF office typically sends out oath letters three weeks before the oath cermeony. Aiming for 6/10 oath ceremony, we should be receiving our oath letters around next week (week of 5/19)

How did your interview go last week, Bayern ? Anyone attended interview at SF office after 4/22, please update your status about the Oath Letter... Thanks.