N-400 San Francisco timeline

Does anyone know if the selective service letter is needed -- I was on H1B all the time during the age of 23 - 28 after which I got the green card -- so ideally I dont need it -- should I get the letter of status from SSS just in case anyway ?

what is selective service letter ?

If you are a male between 18-26 age while you were in the US -- either on GC or illegal ( not F1 or H1 or other non immigrant visas ) -- you got to register www.sss.gov.

I have just mailed my N400 on 3/14/2008, Check is cashed on 3/20/2008.
Got the receipt with Priority Date 3/18/2008.
Got Finger print notice, and is scheduled for 4/16/2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realised I did not mention the traffic tickets in the N-400. Both me and my wife have 1 each in 10 yrs (both speeding) -- I have got the traffic school and payment proof. I read on the board that for some who had mentioned that they had a ticket but not on the N-400 -- the officer had asked them to add it in the N-400 form and sign -- but not a big deal since they got the oath letter.
I am going to get the DMV records and additional traffic records from the local hall of justice over the next 1-2 weeks.

I also have a similar traffic ticket case -- I plan on taking the DMV record with me to the interview. I have forgotten to mention the tickets ( 1 each for me and wife ) in the app form -- although I have all the proof of payment. Do I need to get the actual records from the court ?

got court records for closed traffic tics

The interview letter states no need to provide documentation for tickets less than $500 if no injury or DUI was involved. But I missed out on listing the traffic tickets on the N400, so decided to get the certificate from the court that shows that my tickets are closed and fine has been paid - costs $15 at the hall of justice. Also will take the DMV driving record with me. Just want to show to the officer if he asked that it was a simple mistake on my part, and that I had nothing to hide.

Any Oath letters for March/April. I completed my interview on 2/29 and waiting for oath latter.

Are you sure you passed the interview??:D

It usually takes couple of weeks, so you should have got it by now. On the other hand they have three oath ceremonies scheduled in April (usually its only two per month) so maybe there are lot of applicants scheduled in April and are running out of space

I have gotten my interview letter on 3//24/2008. My interview will be taking place in SF DO.

Sorry that I am late to update the information here (see below regarding my time
line). Surprisingly I have been blessed to get my interview letter earlier than I imagine
and I am so sorry for guys who were waiting for their IL in front of me. I hope USCIS will
improve their speed of processing N400 interview & oath. Wish me a good luck for
my interview.

I have one question. The title of IL says "Request for applicant to appear for
Naturalization Initial Interview
". What does "initial" mean? Does everybody get the
same letter with this title? Appreciate your kind answer for my question.

Aloha_CA

Last edited by a moderator:
No SSI Letter

I have an appt this coming week but no SSI Status letter, I have already sent in my application but no reply. I was not eligible to enroll. What are the options. Thanks.

oath letter- when to expect

my interview was completed on april 16. Passed it. Waiting for oath letter.
How long does it take approximately to receive the oath letter?
San Francisco office.
Does anyone know?
Thank you for your help.

my interview was completed on april 16. Passed it. Waiting for oath letter.
How long does it take approximately to receive the oath letter?
San Francisco office.
Does anyone know?
Thank you for your help.

I was told by IO at the SF office this morning **2-4 months** from ID to Oath. I really hope it's faster than that. BTW the interview itself was under 20 mins and rather straightforward.

Anyone with March/April ID received the oath letter yet? (to give the rest of us who are waiting a sense of the timeline)

We had our interview today at San Francisco. It was successful. Here is a summary:

Interview time was at 8:20am for myself and my wife. We took BART from Fremont to
Montgomery station. Interview location is about 7 min walk along Sansome Street. (Take the Sansome street exit from BART Station).

We arrived at 8am. Interview site is a federal building and has Airport like security. Cell phones with cameras are NOT allowed and the guard was seen suggesting using a depository for safekeeping (at $3) just across the street. My cell phone had no camera so that was allowed. No food or drinks are allowed inside.

We dropped our interview letters at the reception and were asked to take a seat. I was called first at 8:30am. Interview lasted 10-12 minutes. Interviewer began by administering oath. He asked for passports (current and old), Green card. He then went over personal info from N-400 application like name, DOB, address current and previous, employe's name, spouses name, date of marriage, childrens' details, etc. I had a traffic ticket from 1998 for which I paid $280. He did not ask for any documentation for it. Once he went thru the entire application he asked me 10 questions on civics/history. All questions were from the list of 96 questions found on USCIS website. I answered all correctly. He then asked me to read and write a sentence each. No other documentation like tax returns, employment letter, traffic citation etc. was asked. Finally I signed on the form and also on the photos. If you have a long name you will be asked to sign your first name vertically on one side of your picture and your last name on the other. He provides the pen.

My wife's experience was similar except that she got a ticket after filing N-400. She mentioned it to her interviewer and the information was recorded by him on the form. The ticket/citation was not checked. English/Civics test was similar to mine.

At the end of the interview both of us received a form with the "congratulations..." box checked off. Now I will have to wait for oath letters.

got oath letter today

=>Interviewed on 4/16 at San Francisco
=>Got oath letter today: oath date - May 14
=>Any tips for oath by anyone?
Thank you.

We had our interview today at San Francisco. It was successful. Here is a summary:

Interview time was at 8:20am for myself and my wife. We took BART from Fremont to
Montgomery station. Interview location is about 7 min walk along Sansome Street. (Take the Sansome street exit from BART Station).

We arrived at 8am. Interview site is a federal building and has Airport like security. Cell phones with cameras are NOT allowed and the guard was seen suggesting using a depository for safekeeping (at $3) just across the street. My cell phone had no camera so that was allowed. No food or drinks are allowed inside.

We dropped our interview letters at the reception and were asked to take a seat. I was called first at 8:30am. Interview lasted 10-12 minutes. Interviewer began by administering oath. He asked for passports (current and old), Green card. He then went over personal info from N-400 application like name, DOB, address current and previous, employe's name, spouses name, date of marriage, childrens' details, etc. I had a traffic ticket from 1998 for which I paid $280. He did not ask for any documentation for it. Once he went thru the entire application he asked me 10 questions on civics/history. All questions were from the list of 96 questions found on USCIS website. I answered all correctly. He then asked me to read and write a sentence each. No other documentation like tax returns, employment letter, traffic citation etc. was asked. Finally I signed on the form and also on the photos. If you have a long name you will be asked to sign your first name vertically on one side of your picture and your last name on the other. He provides the pen.

My wife's experience was similar except that she got a ticket after filing N-400. She mentioned it to her interviewer and the information was recorded by him on the form. The ticket/citation was not checked. English/Civics test was similar to mine.

At the end of the interview both of us received a form with the "congratulations..." box checked off. Now I will have to wait for oath letters.

Congratulations, nkm-oct23! I remember you from GC days back in 2002 or so.

Was your current passport issued within the last 5 years? Just wondering why the IO asked for your old passport.

Thanks and regards.

Sammy