N-400 Question

thebaptist

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,
I have been married to the same U.S citizen for 4 years in October. I'll also have been a GC holder for 3 years in December. Since you can apply in the 90 days before the 3rd anniversary of being a PR, I did so last week.
I should have known there were some "hidden" documents to provide. Reading the instructions, I did not come across any requirement for a picture or copy of the GC, so I simply mailed the completed application and the check. I figured they could get the picture along with the biometrics. I haven't been outside the country at all since getting here, nor had any trouble with the law. I did have a minor speeding ticket which was expunged because I went to traffic school(4 hour class). I forgot to mention that on the form because I misinterpreted the clause to mean I did NOT need to mention it(as opposed to providing documentation) if the fine was less than $500 and not drug or alcohol related. I'll tell the IO at the interview, so they can update that part.
I just went back to read the instructions again and noticed it referred to the GUIDE. It would really help if this guide was attached to the N400. It's in quite an obscure place. Now I realize I need at least 2 pictures, copy of GC, marriage cert, etc.
My question is whether they allow you to bring these documents to the interview, or if they're going to return the application as incomplete, so I re-submit. They received the application on Wednesday, and it's Saturday, but the check has not been cashed yet.

Any similar experiences?? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait

Hi Guys,
I have been married to the same U.S citizen for 4 years in October. I'll also have been a GC holder for 3 years in December. Since you can apply in the 90 days before the 3rd anniversary of being a PR, I did so last week.
I should have known there were some "hidden" documents to provide. Reading the instructions, I did not come across any requirement for a picture or copy of the GC, so I simply mailed the completed application and the check. I figured they could get the picture along with the biometrics. I haven't been outside the country at all since getting here, nor had any trouble with the law. I did have a minor speeding ticket which was expunged because I went to traffic school(4 hour class). I forgot to mention that on the form because I misinterpreted the clause to mean I did NOT need to mention it(as opposed to providing documentation) if the fine was less than $500 and not drug or alcohol related. I'll tell the IO at the interview, so they can update that part.
I just went back to read the instructions again and noticed it referred to the GUIDE. It would really help if this guide was attached to the N400. It's in quite an obscure place. Now I realize I need at least 2 pictures, copy of GC, marriage cert, etc.
My question is whether they allow you to bring these documents to the interview, or if they're going to return the application as incomplete, so I re-submit. They received the application on Wednesday, and it's Saturday, but the check has not been cashed yet.

thebaptist,

Please allow USCIS sometime to cash your check. You're worrying for nothing. I have a feeling that you will be just fine.

You will be allowed to update/amend your N-400 at your interview. You will also have the opportunity to add additional documents to your application at that time.

You'll definitely need to be providing 2 photos - after all, one of them gets put on your natz cert! Your best bet is to take them (and a copy of your GC) to the interview with you.

Its a bit late now, but the instructions for for Form N-400 are contained in a document called N-400ins.pdf available from the USCIS website.

I have seen a case or two where in the absence of the green card copy the application was sent back. Keep your fingers crossed!
Please update this thread when you have an update so others in similar situations can benefit from your experience.

Hi Guys,

It's the 8th of October and I haven't heard back from them yet. Check has not been cashed. They're sending the application back for sure. I'll keep you guys posted on any new developments.

Likely your application is still held up by the "frontlog". Wait a little longer and you'll probably get a receipt.

Well, we'll see what happens. Tired of waiting though.

09/18 Mailed completed application with check
09/20 Application received
10/11 Still no news.... no receipt, no cashed check..

10/29.. Still no news. Is it time to call and try to use my A number to track, or should I wait for 45 days?

45 days? I hate to be the one to tell this to you, but those days are long over. I applied a couple of weeks before you, and my check hasn't even been cashed yet. Due to the frontlog caused by the fee increase and a flood of I-485s, it currently takes about 3 months or so just to get your check cashed, and another couple of weeks to get your receipt. If you search some other threads on this board, you'll see what I mean. Right now, the only thing you can do is be patient and give it another month or so until your check is cashed. There are plenty of people who are in the same boat (myself included), if that's any consolation.

I got the receipt notice today. Since I inadvertently sent the form with no evidence, except for the check, I received a "receipt with exception"

This means the application is being processed, but I am being notified of missing evidence that will be necessary for the interview. It further instructs not to send any evidence by mail, and to wait for interview notice in the next 100 days.

I got the receipt notice today. Since I inadvertently sent the form with no evidence, except for the check, I received a "receipt with exception.

Don't worry, thats a very common thing to see in the receipt notice, especially if you said "yes" to ever having been cited. Most likely USCIS will not ask for any further information, but if they do, its usually requested either in the interview notice, or during the interview itself.

Check or Money order

1. To send the application fee which mode is better. If I send money order will they process my receipt faster than check?

2. I have clean record, moved only two places and changed job once in last 10 yrs and married once and both living together no diverce. Do i need to send proof of marriage along with the application?. At present i have to send N400 application with two photos and GC copy thats it. Do i need to attach the proof of marriage also?

1. With the huge delays now, I don't think it makes any significant difference to send check or money order. I would send check if that's easier for you.

2. I assume you are applying based on being a permanent resident for 5 years or more. In that case you don't need to send proof of marriage. If USCIS has never received your marriage certificate before it might be good to take it to your interview just in case. If the first time they know you're married is on the N-400 they might ask you about proof of marriage during the interview. This is pure speculation. I don't remember any particular case. My case is not like your case, and any other disclaimers apply. Please check the guide to naturalization and the N-400 instructions to see if they say otherwise. In a regular filing the only thing you need to send is photos, payment and photocopy of both sides of GC.