N-400 & legal name (first name) change

gc_wait_485

Registered Users (C)
When is the best time to change first name? Name change involves in many things (drive license, utilities, home deed, etc), but I need to change first names (mine and my dependents). Can you please share your experiences?

thx much

You can request a name change during your naturalization interview that will become effective at your oath and on your naturalization certificate.

I remember reading somewhere that USCIS doesn't have the right to change name (apparently old INS did).

Does that mean that it is better to change name in court before applying for citizenship?

please share if you have a recent experience with naturalization and name change.

I remember reading somewhere that USCIS doesn't have the right to change name (apparently old INS did).

Does that mean that it is better to change name in court before applying for citizenship?

please share if you have a recent experience with naturalization and name change.

As has been stated above, your name will be changed during the oath proceedings which are typically conducted by a court clerk that has authorization by law to change names. So you may request a name change when you file N-400.

The old INS didn't either. Several years ago, all citizenship oaths were judicial oaths held in front of an appropriately authorized court official.

These days, they separate the oaths into administrative oaths with no name change, and judicial oaths with a court official(s) for name changes. Most people don't do a name change, so the administrative oaths freed up the time of the court officials.
No. If you do that, you risk delays resulting from them having to do a name check on both your old name and new name, as well as potential confusion of inexperienced USCIS clerks when they see that all your documents don't have the same name.

Since we are in the topic of naturalization, I saw that new forms and routing offices to process N-400 are comming down the pipe. Does any one know if it is better to get in now or wait till the new system is in place?

Since we are in the topic of naturalization, I saw that new forms and routing offices to process N-400 are comming down the pipe. Does any one know if it is better to get in now or wait till the new system is in place?
That question has nothing to do with name changes. Please start a separate thread, and you'll get more and better answers.

I plan on changing both my first and last name. My legal first name has a space in it which I will be removing, and I also recently got married so I'm changing my last name too.

My sister got her citizenship a few months earlier, and she had no problem changing her first name. She did it at her interview.

My sister got her citizenship a few months earlier, and she had no problem changing her first name. She did it at her interview.

The name change request can be MADE at the interview, but it can only be performed at a judicial oath.

I requested a name change but during interview the IO told me that name change would have to be done with a Judge. This obviously would cause further delay. Therefore, I asked to keep my name and will petition for name change through the courts.

If you citizenship is denied first, is it gone forever or it is granted after some delay? I am asking if you don't have any felonies or anything and just a failure to register for Selective Service. Can it be denied forever on that basis?

These days, they separate the oaths into administrative oaths with no name change, and judicial oaths with a court official(s) for name changes. Most people don't do a name change, so the administrative oaths freed up the time of the court officials.

The name change request can be MADE at the interview, but it can only be performed at a judicial oath.
well, sorry, may be silly questions but...As I understood, if I want to change my name during filing I-400 procedure, they will schedule some special oaths ceremony for me (and may be some other people) with a judge. Is it correct?
Now, 2 questions: first, I'm in Los Angeles county and I heard that they have ceremony for a lot of people and there is NO judge there. is it because they just didn't need to change there name and they had ceremony with all those "other" people that didn't need their name changed OR they don't do it in LA for some reason?

Another question is: I know that even if I'll do it myself, name change may cost me around $300 if I'll decide to do it AFTER getting citizenship. So, if I would do it during the ceremony does it mean that I'm saving $300 or I still will have to submit some name change papers before that special ceremony procedure with the judge and pay for that?
Thanks!

well, sorry, may be silly questions but...As I understood, if I want to change my name during filing I-400 procedure, they will schedule some special oaths ceremony for me (and may be some other people) with a judge. Is it correct?
Now, 2 questions: first, I'm in Los Angeles county and I heard that they have ceremony for a lot of people and there is NO judge there. is it because they just didn't need to change there name and they had ceremony with all those "other" people that didn't need their name changed OR they don't do it in LA for some reason?

Another question is: I know that even if I'll do it myself, name change may cost me around $300 if I'll decide to do it AFTER getting citizenship. So, if I would do it during the ceremony does it mean that I'm saving $300 or I still will have to submit some name change papers before that special ceremony procedure with the judge and pay for that?
Thanks!

Certain states (New York, for instance) only conduct judicial oaths, so there is no need to perform a special ceremony for applicants wishing to change their name. As far as I know, the mega-ceremonies conducted in LA are administrative, which means that you'd still need a judicial ceremony. As mentioned in Jackolantern's post, most applicants don't change their names, so the administrative oaths serve their purpose just fine. In DO's where most oaths are administrative, a special judicial oath would need to be scheduled for those who wish to change their name. This may delay your oath, as these judicial ceremonies are usually scheduled based on demand. If you petition for name change, you'll save the name change costs that you'd normally pay and there is no need to file any additional paperwork. At your interview, you'll be asked to sign a name change certificate. It'll be sealed by the court and returned to you at the oath ceremony, along with your naturalization certificate.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow it was quick! THANKS! now the question is for how long it would delay to get judicial ceremony and if anybody had such experience here in LA county.