N-400 interview question - need your help

zida_66

Hi members;
Filed my N-400 in March 2010, did finger prints a month later.
I was scheduled for an interview/exam in July 2010 but was descheduled
for unforseen reasons then nothing for almost 5 months.
In Nov I inquired about my case and was told my case is pending background
check and should just wait.
Recently I received a letter asking me to come to the local office with
passport, tax records for the past 5 years, birth and marriage certificates
with translations.
Is that common practice? any ideas why they're asking for all these docs?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Zida

Thanks a lot Bobsmyth.
So should I assume that background check is complete and that's why I got
the interview letter? or is it that they need further information before completing
the background check?

I'm also assuming that I won't be asked citizenship related questions during
the interview.

Crossing my fingers for a smooth interview, Anyone who had a similar experience:interview scheduled then descheduled then
background chech ..etc your inputs are apperciated.

Zida

Thanks a lot Bobsmyth.
the interview letter? or is it that they need further information before completing
the background check?

the interview.

Crossing my fingers for a smooth interview, Anyone who had a similar experience:interview scheduled then descheduled then
background chech ..etc your inputs are apperciated.

Zida

When is your re-scheduled interview?

Thanks a lot Bobsmyth.
the interview letter?

Correct, the fact that an interview has been scheduled indicates that the background checks have been completed.
The main hang up in scheduling interviews is usually caused by the FBI Name Check and USCIS does not schedule an interview now until the Name Check has been completed. Occasionally they do make a mistake and schedule an interview before the Name Check is done, and in such cases the interview has to be de-scheduled. Most likely this is what originally happened to you.

the interview.

Err, wrong. You most definitely WILL be asked lots of citizenship related questions during the interview.
The IO will go over all the answers in your N-400, check the info about your foreign trips, taxes, arrests, etc and may ask other questions about your immigration history. And, of course, you will have to take the civics and English tests.

Correct, the fact that an interview has been scheduled indicates that the background checks have been completed.
The main hang up in scheduling interviews is usually caused by the FBI Name Check and USCIS does not schedule an interview now until the Name Check has been completed. Occasionally they do make a mistake and schedule an interview before the Name Check is done, and in such cases the interview has to be de-scheduled. Most likely this is what originally happened to you.

Err, wrong. You most definitely WILL be asked lots of citizenship related questions during the interview.
The IO will go over all the answers in your N-400, check the info about your foreign trips, taxes, arrests, etc and may ask other questions about your immigration history. And, of course, you will have to take the civics and English tests.

Thanks Baikal3.
The appointment is in 2 weeks so I better revise what I studied before. The reason
I did not think I'll be asked citizenship questions (civics, English) is that the letter
did not say that I will be (the original letter for the interview that was later
descheduled did mention civics and English test). The other thing is that
the letter I got did not have the USCIS special paper with a notice of action on top;
It was just a white paper from the local office.
Anyways, better be prepared and I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

Zida

Thanks Baikal3.
The appointment is in 2 weeks so I better revise what I studied before. The reason
I did not think I'll be asked citizenship questions (civics, English) is that the letter
did not say that I will be (the original letter for the interview that was later
descheduled did mention civics and English test). The other thing is that
the letter I got did not have the USCIS special paper with a notice of action on top;
It was just a white paper from the local office.
Anyways, better be prepared and I'll keep you posted on how that goes.

Zida

It seems like when they finally got your file and it was ready for interview, they scheduled you into an open slot as soon as they could and still provide you with the minimum advance notice. How much advance notice did they give you? Compare date of the notice to date of interview. Which office is it? Thanks.