N-400 interiview preperation?

vatsa82

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,
Can anyone give a few pointers, links on what to study/prepare for the final interview. Mine is coming up in 3 weeks.

Thanks

Thank you

Hi Bobsmyth,
Thanks for the link. I sent in my N-400 on 03/16/09 and have my interview on July 1st, 2009. So, if I am reading the information on USCIS correctly, I have to take the new test, right?

Which Test Do I Take?

An applicant who:

* Files* the Application for Naturalization, Form N-400, BEFORE October 1, 2008, and is scheduled for his or her naturalization interview ON or AFTER October 1, 2008 up until October 1, 2009, can choose to take the old test or the new test.
Files* the Application for Naturalization, Form N-400, ON or AFTER October 1, 2008, will take the new test.

Anyone taken the new test recently?

Looks like I have a pretty steep learning curve :). I think it requires atleast 2 days of preparation. Has anyone taken the new test recently? Do you mind sharing your experiences?

Hi Bobsmyth,
Thanks for the link. I sent in my N-400 on 03/16/09 and have my interview on July 1st, 2009. So, if I am reading the information on USCIS correctly, I have to take the new test, right?

Which Test Do I Take?

An applicant who:

* Files* the Application for Naturalization, Form N-400, BEFORE October 1, 2008, and is scheduled for his or her naturalization interview ON or AFTER October 1, 2008 up until October 1, 2009, can choose to take the old test or the new test.
Files* the Application for Naturalization, Form N-400, ON or AFTER October 1, 2008, will take the new test.

You'll have to wait until October 2009 before I tell you the answer.:D
Just kidding..you would take new test.

To absrao:
"What do you mean by "You dont have to answer right away" ? In the new format, I believe the officer will ask you 10 multiple choice questions and you have to answer them during the interview, right? Please tell me if I am missing something.

It means that you aren't timed on questions..you can take a few seconds to think about it and then answer.

Multiple choice?

Hi,
I have my final interview on July 1st. Are the questions going to be multiple-choice or do I need to key/type them in myself? Anyone who has recently taken the test - can you please advice?

Thanks
Sri

When answering the questions, does it need to be exact words as in the booklet, or close answer is enough?
Mine next week. :(

Consider listening to the audio CD too. If you don't have a copy, there is a link in the forum to a .mp3 of the exam questions.

And best to repeat what is stated in the book, as it would not be enjoyable attempting to argue over the IO why Benjamin Franklin is famous for getting inventing lightening rods or helping others make millions on daily organizers (as to being the first postmaster general) for example.

argue over the IO why Benjamin Franklin is famous for getting inventing lightening rods

Hah! That is the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Franklin. Frankly :), I am surprised it is not one of the "blessed" answers.

Originally Posted by sri69
argue over the IO why Benjamin Franklin is famous for getting inventing lightening rods

Hah! That is the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Franklin. Frankly :), I am surprised it is not one of the "blessed" answers.

Answer was too 'shocking' for USCIS to handle. (okay.. enough bad humor for the day).

If you memorize the 100 questions I don't think you could have any problem during interview, you need 6 out of 10 correct.

In the multiple answer questions you must answer only one, two or three, it depends on the specific question.

However, you don't know in which part of the interview the civics exam will be applied, it could be at the beginning, in the middle or at the end.

There is also a written and oral exam.

All interview in the new exam is in english. The number 1 reason for denials of naturalization is applicant unable to speak or understand english.

I am just curious,, what if someone fails in the verbal test? What happens to that application and applicant?

Speeding ticket?

Quick question on the speeding ticket before my interview tomorrow. I've received one ticket 3 months back (driving 41 mph in a 25 mph zone). However, this offense happened after I had submitted my N-400 application. So I answered NO to question 15 and 18 in the N-400 form.

Should I tell the office tomorrow that I am guilty of a crime for the question
"Have you ever committed a crime?"

Please advice..

Quick question on the speeding ticket before my interview tomorrow. I've received one ticket 3 months back (driving 41 mph in a 25 mph zone). However, this offense happened after I had submitted my N-400 application. So I answered NO to question 15 and 18 in the N-400 form.

Should I tell the office tomorrow that I am guilty of a crime for the question
"Have you ever committed a crime?"

Please advice..

I gather one needs to reveal @ the interview, any updates on N-400 since filing -- this could include foreign trips, traffic tickets, etc. So don't need to do anything till the interview but @ the interview give the interviewer your updated info.

However, this offense happened after I had submitted my N-400 application. So I answered NO to question 15 and 18 in the N-400 form.

You will almost certainly be asked about any violations not on the application.

Have you paid the fine and have a Disposition date?

You should get a Certified copy of the ticket and Disposition to take with you. If you are asked and you say "yes," and have no Certified Disposition they will probably ask you to provide it and that will delay the process.

Make sure you get a Certified copy which usually costs a few bucks at the Court house.