My Travel Experience - RTD no Green Card

Is there any way to get an RTD with a validity of 2 years? Or given to specific people with specific condition etc.?

Is there any way to get an RTD with a validity of 2 years? Or given to specific people with specific condition etc.?
No. 1 year fits all unfortunately. You can get advanced parole, which is very similar to RTD and it's valid for 2 years. The disadvantage of AP is that no country will accept it without a visa. But if it's best for you, go for it.

Isn't AP in the form of a piece of paper, or an endorsement on an EAD? Countries won't accept that, I don't think. I think you need either the RTD, or RP, in lieu of a passport. The RP is valid for two years, but yes, requires visas for most countries. Why, I have no idea, but the RTD is a more powerful document that lasts for half the time. I will say that Dutch immigration were always generous in issuing me visas and residence permits even with an RTD, despite the short validity period.

Isn't AP in the form of a piece of paper, or an endorsement on an EAD? Countries won't accept that, I don't think. I think you need either the RTD, or RP, in lieu of a passport. The RP is valid for two years, but yes, requires visas for most countries. Why, I have no idea, but the RTD is a more powerful document that lasts for half the time. I will say that Dutch immigration were always generous in issuing me visas and residence permits even with an RTD, despite the short validity period.
You are 100% absolutely right. It's Re-entry Permit what I meant to say. I'm so incredibly sorry about the misinformation. :oops:. And thank you for catching my mistake. =)

Thanks for explanations. Can we have both RP and RTD? I'm possibly interviewing with a company, hq is in France. And they will ask me quarterly short trips to there. Having a 1year document can be challenging for me. That's why I'm asking for having both may help.

Thanks for explanations. Can we have both RP and RTD? I'm possibly interviewing with a company, hq is in France. And they will ask me quarterly short trips to there. Having a 1year document can be challenging for me. That's why I'm asking for having both may help.
If I remember correctly, no, you cannot have both. If you read through Form I-131 instructions, I'm pretty sure there's something there along the lines of you can't apply for one or the other if you already have one or the other available. You need a Schengen visa to go to France anyway, so I would suggest just getting the RP.

Fair assessment. The issue here is that, USCIS can block issuing another RTD until you give them the old one, or give them a police report saying it was lost, etc. The point here is that, if you don't want delays in the processing of your RTD, better to surrender it to therm. Of course, if delays in your application are OK to you, then yep...you can keep it. As for me, my motto is to never give USCIS an excuse to delay my application - that has served me well over the years.
Although this is technically true, I never surrendered my RTD and they never asked me for it. I think I still might have mine somewhere although they are long expired and I got my US passport a while ago. If they need it back, they can ask you via a RFE. I got my 2nd RTD within a month as I expedited it for work related travel (with corporate letter).

As an update to this return or not-return RTD debacle - I'm just about ready to file my I-485. And as part of the package, my attorney is also applying for a new RTD. He said it was NOT necessary to send in the old one. He's just including copies of every single page, including covers. He said he's never had to return another RTD to get a new one. I was surprised, but, oh well. Guess just another example of USCIS not really following their own rules consistently.

I think the reason why people are returning RTD to get new one is they apply new one before the expiry date of the existing one. If RTD is useless in last three months of validity, then before it's expire date, you can apply a new one by sending the existing unexpired one at your hand.

I think the reason why people are returning RTD to get new one is they apply new one before the expiry date of the existing one. If RTD is useless in last three months of validity, then before it's expire date, you can apply a new one by sending the existing unexpired one at your hand.

This is correct. They will send you an RFE to return the valid RTD before issuing a new one. An RFE is unlikely if it’s expired.

I just want to inform everyone about my experience getting a new Refugee Travel Document:

I did not send in my old RTD
I applied 6 months before old one expires
I got new one 5 months later (1 month before old one expires)
There was no request to send in old one !

I just want to inform everyone about my experience getting a new Refugee Travel Document:

I did not send in my old RTD
I applied 6 months before old one expires
I got new one 5 months later (1 month before old one expires)
There was no request to send in old one !

Interesting...they had sent me an RFE to return the old unexpired one. Guess just like everything in USCIS there are no standard operating procedures and everything depends on the discretion of the bureaucrat handling your file. Anyway it’s great that you got it.

Interesting...they had sent me an RFE to return the old unexpired one. Guess just like everything in USCIS there are no standard operating procedures and everything depends on the discretion of the bureaucrat handling your file. Anyway it’s great that you got it.

Which service center did you apply to?

Isn't AP in the form of a piece of paper, or an endorsement on an EAD? Countries won't accept that, I don't think. I think you need either the RTD, or RP, in lieu of a passport. The RP is valid for two years, but yes, requires visas for most countries. Why, I have no idea, but the RTD is a more powerful document that lasts for half the time. I will say that Dutch immigration was always generous in issuing me visas and residence permits even with an RTD, despite the short validity period.

I prefer RP more because of its valid 2 years and unlike RTD, which only has the advantage of the visa-free entry only- but the paperwork for it plus the fee is not worth it. I am not happy with the fees USCIS charges for the docs. I recently discovered I had paid more than $10k for immigration fees alone over the years.

I prefer RP more because of its valid 2 years and unlike RTD, which only has the advantage of the visa-free entry only- but the paperwork for it plus the fee is not worth it. I am not happy with the fees USCIS charges for the docs. I recently discovered I had paid more than $10k for immigration fees alone over the years.
but some country might not accept RP regardless . i agree the one year validity for RTD is not practical and really restrict your travels . asylees/refugees in other countries can get a travel documents valid for 5+ years .

Hi guys, I have applied for my third travel document in Dec. 2019, In November 2020 I had my fingerprint, but so far I did not receive my travel document yet! is there anyone who has the same experiences? I tried to call USCIS but it was impossible to talk with a representative! :(

Hi guys, I have applied for my third travel document in Dec. 2019, In November 2020 I had my fingerprint, but so far I did not receive my travel document yet! is there anyone who has the same experiences? I tried to call USCIS but it was impossible to talk with a representative! :(
sorry, this is out of control delay - but with covid, maybe this is the norm now. In all my years, I applied for 5+ RTDs, the earliest I got was 82 days, the longest wait was 120+ days. Keep calling or raise an 'outside processing time' ticket. Good luck.