My Travel Experience - RTD no Green Card

I mean all of your 3 flights to reach budapest needs to be on the same ticket not 3 separate flights with 3 different airlines because if you have the 3 flights on 3 different airlines most likely you will get denied boarding
Basically same Airline for all 3 tickets. Got it. Unless I have a visa then, I assume first 2 on same airline and 3rd one could be different

Can I go to Turkey with RTD and no visa?

My nationality doesn't need the visa for Turkey, but how about RTD?

You may need a visa and its issued online check out https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/info/who-is-eligible-for-e-visa/

Information Note

Please select your country/region of the travel document. People with dual nationality should choose the nationality according to the passport to be used for the travel.

If the country of travel document registered on the e-visa is different than the passport carried; the e-Visa will be invalid.

By travel document, we mean passports and ID cards(for the citizens of specific countries) . Other travel documents are not acceptable for an e-Visa application.

Last edited:
Germany Updated their page

I cannot get a national passport from my country of origin but I do hold a “Travel Document for Refugees”. Can I use this document to travel to Germany?

Holders of the “Refugee Travel Document” (Form I-571) which is issued by the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) are not required to obtain a visa to enter the Federal Republic of Germany for purposes of business, tourism, or to visit friends if they stay no longer than 90 days. The Travel Document must be valid for at least four months after entering Germany.

Please be advised that this regulation applies to Germany only. If you plan to transit or travel to other Schengen countries you have to contact the responsible consular mission of the respective countries to find out about their visa regulations. Please also note that holders of the very similar document called “Permit to Re-Enter” (Form I-327) do not fall under this rule. Holders of a “Permit to Re-Enter” must apply for a visa.

If you are in doubt whether you are a holder of a “Permit to Re-Enter” or a “Refugee Travel Document” please refer to the data page of the document in your possession issued by DHS. More information on the type of document issued to you can be found above and below the photo in your document.

https://www.germany.info/us-en/service/05-VisaEinreise/faq-visa/899734

Italy appears to have no exceptions and requires all persons traveling on refugee travel documents to apply for a visa. (Italy is also having a major issue with refugees right now and there have been some political noises about cracking down on them.) the link from EU says it even ended Visa-free privileges for UK RTD - March 2019

https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/servizi/stranieri/ingressosoggiornoinitalia/passaporti_documenti.html

https://www.coe.int/en/web/conventi...tions/treaty/031/declarations?p_auth=m1qqkljJ

According to this official document (in French), among Schengen countries, US refugee travel documents are accepted for visa-free short term travel to Belgium, Croatia, Germany, Hungary, the Netherlands, and Slovakia.

Nice job finding this document. If I'm not mistaken, I think Bulgaria, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Slovenia and Switzerland seem to be included in that list.

Nice job finding this document. If I'm not mistaken, I think Bulgaria, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Slovenia and Switzerland seem to be included in that list.

Yes, they are listed, It is very interesting that those countries (Bulgaria, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, Slovenia, and Switzerland) may be some Schengen countries that revised their internal policy regarding the visa requirements for Refugee Travel Document holders, requesting that they apply for a Schengen visa prior to their planned travel. Notice the U.S Refugee Travel Document” (Form I-571) has more visa travel compared to other 'Refugee Travel Document holders'

Hey guys , do i need a VISA to travel to mexico i only have RTD my passport from origin country is expired .

Based on Mexican Consulate website says - US travel document holders must present a US valid Permanent Resident Card when entering Mexico if they are nationals of the countries listed in the following link: http://www.inm.gob.mx/gobmx/word/index.php/paises-requieren-visa-para-mexico/ that means RTD may be accepted if your nationality is not on that page as those needing a valid visa from majority white western Schengen, European Union and Japan.

If you're just crossing the land border for a quick visit I think you don't need a visa for Mexico. If you want to go further into Mexico or fly in, you'd need a visa.

Germany Updated their page

I cannot get a national passport from my country of origin but I do hold a “Travel Document for Refugees”. Can I use this document to travel to Germany?

Holders of the “Refugee Travel Document” (Form I-571) which is issued by the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) are not required to obtain a visa to enter the Federal Republic of Germany for purposes of business, tourism, or to visit friends if they stay no longer than 90 days. The Travel Document must be valid for at least four months after entering Germany.

Please be advised that this regulation applies to Germany only. If you plan to transit or travel to other Schengen countries you have to contact the responsible consular mission of the respective countries to find out about their visa regulations. Please also note that holders of the very similar document called “Permit to Re-Enter” (Form I-327) do not fall under this rule. Holders of a “Permit to Re-Enter” must apply for a visa.

If you are in doubt whether you are a holder of a “Permit to Re-Enter” or a “Refugee Travel Document” please refer to the data page of the document in your possession issued by DHS. More information on the type of document issued to you can be found above and below the photo in your document.

https://www.germany.info/us-en/service/05-VisaEinreise/faq-visa/899734

Italy appears to have no exceptions and requires all persons traveling on refugee travel documents to apply for a visa. (Italy is also having a major issue with refugees right now and there have been some political noises about cracking down on them.) the link from EU says it even ended Visa-free privileges for UK RTD - March 2019

https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/servizi/stranieri/ingressosoggiornoinitalia/passaporti_documenti.html

https://www.coe.int/en/web/conventi...tions/treaty/031/declarations?p_auth=m1qqkljJ

According to this official document (in French), among Schengen countries, US refugee travel documents are accepted for visa-free short term travel to Belgium, Croatia, Germany, Hungary, the Netherlands, and Slovakia.

Thank you! I also confirmed by calling en embassy in SF

Based on Mexican Consulate website says - US travel document holders must present a US valid Permanent Resident Card when entering Mexico if they are nationals of the countries listed in the following link: http://www.inm.gob.mx/gobmx/word/index.php/paises-requieren-visa-para-mexico/ that means RTD may be accepted if your nationality is not on that page as those needing a valid visa from majority white western Schengen, European Union and Japan.

I would call the embassy to ensure that. When you have RTD. You are more or less belong to US not your country of origin and you should be using your passport since you are asylee now. Using the passport might cause you some problems when you finally apply for your citizenship.

I would call the embassy to ensure that. When you have RTD. You are more or less belong to US not your country of origin and you should be using your passport since you are asylee now. Using the passport might cause you some problems when you finally apply for your citizenship.

You would be either stateless or US. I thinks it’s wise to call an embassy.

Also, notice that. Your Immigration status in the US sometimes does not influence immigration benefits on other countries you are treated as national of COP and only Aliened in the US. If you look and read wordings on the RTD it will mention your nationality and class of admission /status and it will say ’ This not US passport ’

If you look and read wordings on the RTD it will mention your nationality and class of admission /status - Asylee/ permanent resident of the US. Sometime third country like Canada has an agreement with the U.S. Your RTD will say ’ This not US passport ’. I have 2 old RTDs and you will be surprised that if you Have green card they barely check it they are interested in the green card and the digital departure record i94

Hi
Can I apply for refugee travel document while I have a pending asylum interview decision?

Hi
Can I apply for refugee travel document while I have a pending asylum interview decision?
No you can not.
You can apply for advance parlor. When you use advance parlor you must use with your passport that is very risk to use that. Or while you are outside the country and they denied you decision you will not allow to come back to the US

Ques. If I were to travel to Europe. Entered via Germany. And on my way back ( given that I hv Schengen Area Shamp on my passport, and have a green card), can I fly out of Switzerland to San Francisco? Or should I stick to Holland, Germany, and Brussels.

Ques. If I were to travel to Europe. Entered via Germany. And on my way back ( given that I hv Schengen Area Shamp on my passport, and have a green card), can I fly out of Switzerland to San Francisco? Or should I stick to Holland, Germany, and Brussels.
You can fly out of switzerland it’s perfectly fine I myself flew out of madrid , milan , athens to nyc
Other folks i know flew out of iceland , denmark , portugal

Yes you can fly out of any Schengen airport so long as your travel docs in US prove you are alienated in US