My story - 13.5 years later

irishinok

Registered Users (C)
Thought I would share my story with some people in here. It's been a long 13.5 years, but is finally over. :D

I came from Ireland to Oklahoma 13.5 years ago under a J-1 visa. Then switched to an F-1 visa to attend college. After college I worked for 1 year, and then got married. Shortly after my marriage, my wife became abusive taking on an authoratative position in our relationship. She eventually cheated and became pregnant by another man. Unable to forgive, I filed for divorce, knowing full well it could possibly end my time here in the US.

I do not recall the forms my attorney filed, but basically it was for spousal abuse. Felt very weird being a male, and filing abuse, but I had run out of options. I stuck it out as long as I possibly could. She literally made my life hell for 2 years, and there was nothing I could do about it. She knew this, so did as she pleased with no regard for my well-being. Thankfully, through all of my documentation and evidence, my application was approved and I was granted my GC.

Several days ago I had my citizenship interview in OKC. My interviewer was a very nice woman and the interview went very well. Probably lasted about 20-25 minutes. I got all 6 of my questions right, and shortly after she told me she was recommending citizenship approval. Those were some of the most beautiful words I have ever heard.

If I may give advice to some people reading this:

1. Don't give up. I thought I was done for several times, but I didn't give up and now I am days away from becoming a US citizen.

2. Know the answers to the 100 questions for the test. I had the CD playing in my car everytime I drove, regardless of how sick of it I got. But by the time the interview came around I had 100% confidence that I knew every answer.

3. Dress appropriately for the interview. I was dressed in slacks and a button up shirt. The people around me were wearing tennis shoes and jeans. Dress respectably and you will be treated the same.

4. Be polite to your interviewer. Ma'am/sir goes a long way. I engaged in conversation with my interviewer to the point we were "chatting" in between questions. This showed my interviewer that I was just a normal person.

I have spent months reading these forums, wondering if I would ever get to post my success story. Admittedly, sometimes I became a little jealous reading about how people were getting approved, when I was selfishly worrying if I ever would...

Anyway, I don't know how much, if any of this will help anyone reading it. If I can offer any advice please feel free to post on here or PM me.

Kindest regards...

Congratulations irishnok! Glad that things worked out for you.... :) Pray for the rest of us. Hope we too can share our stories eventually!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations. When is your oath? May I know 'cos I am here too.
Just wanted to see how far are they scheduling the oath ceremonies.
Thank you :)

Congratulations irishnok! Glad that things worked out for you.... :) Pray for the rest of us. Hope we too can share our stories eventually!

I certainly hope to one day read all of your positive stories. Thank you :)

Congratulations. When is your oath? May I know 'cos I am here too.
Just wanted to see how far are they scheduling the oath ceremonies.
Thank you :)

I have not actually received my oath letter in the mail. Have you had your citizenship approved yet?

Comhghairdeas! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you sir :)

irishinok: Interview is coming up next week. :)
What did they ask you during the interview?

We just went through my application and she verified that all my information was still correct. I wasn't asked to produce any documentation which was a surprise as I had received the yellow letter asking me to bring certain documents.

As for the questions - they have a sheet of paper that has the list of questions on it. So the sheet I got will obviously be different than yours. However, from what I recall I was asked

Who is VP
How many amendments to the constitution?
How many Supreme Court Justices?
The question about the British in the Civil War (answer taxation without representation/boarding etc...)

I don't recall the other 2 unfortunately. If you want to call and talk to me, send me a PM and I can give you my phone number.

Now I am patiently waiting for my swear in letter :) Hope that comes soon!

Best of luck,
Jonny

Did my interview & it went well. They were all very professional. Thanks for the offer.
Now lets hope that the oath letters come soon for all of us :)

timeline for oath letter?

Hi Jonny:

Wanted ask you if they said anything about the timeline for getting the oath letter or oath ceremony? The officer said something like 4-6 weeks but I am not sure?
Thanks.

Hi Jonny:

Wanted ask you if they said anything about the timeline for getting the oath letter or oath ceremony? The officer said something like 4-6 weeks but I am not sure?
Thanks.

The interviewer told me I would receive the oath letter in a matter of weeks. I am about 3.5 weeks in, so hopefully I will get it soon. Please let me know when you receive yours and I will do the same when I receive mine :)

Ireland to Oklahoma? Hmmmmmmmmmm..... weird but your story has a nice ending. Congratulations!!!

Al,

I came as an exchange student so Oklahoma was actually chosen for me :) But thank you sir for your kinds words.

Regards,
Jonny

Hi Jonny: I will do that. Another member here was also interviewed in OKC on 31st of last month (please check the october tracker thread).
Good luck to everyone.

Hi - Just to let you know that I received my oath letter today. It is in OKC for March 25th :) Hope you get yours too.

Regards,

I feel your pain and your joy

I feel identified with your situation. I also married a woman who became extremely abusive and controlling once she sponsored my application for GC. It was embarrassing to be an abused male spouse. I've never been as patient and tolerant of anyone in my life. I bit my tongue every time she humiliated me. When the situation became completely unbearable and I was out of my mind, I started divorce procedures. I thought that I would have to leave the country, but luckily my application to remove the conditional status of my GC was approved in record time. I was very honest in my application, but I asked to have my petition granted not based on spousal abuse, but based on the fact that I got married in good faith. Tomorrow morning, I'll have my citizenship interview!! I am so excited and nervous. I know all the 100 answers by heart and never had any legal problems, but I'm still nervous that something could go wrong. Wish me luck. I hope that tomorrow, I'll be celebrating just like you.

I feel identified with your situation. I also married a woman who became extremely abusive and controlling once she sponsored my application for GC. It was embarrassing to be an abused male spouse. I've never been as patient and tolerant of anyone in my life. I bit my tongue every time she humiliated me. When the situation became completely unbearable and I was out of my mind, I started divorce procedures. I thought that I would have to leave the country, but luckily my application to remove the conditional status of my GC was approved in record time. I was very honest in my application, but I asked to have my petition granted not based on spousal abuse, but based on the fact that I got married in good faith. Tomorrow morning, I'll have my citizenship interview!! I am so excited and nervous. I know all the 100 answers by heart and never had any legal problems, but I'm still nervous that something could go wrong. Wish me luck. I hope that tomorrow, I'll be celebrating just like you.

Stay strong my friend - and justice will prevail. I am sure you will do wonderful with your interview. I actually had 2 different petitions in, the abuse and good faith. The abuse one was handled first and was approved... thankfully. I wish you the best. Please let us know how it goes. Kindest regards...

Congratulations. Life is shit, so glad you stuck it out. I hope to be a citizen soon too. A note on dressing professionally: I did, but my interviewer was a rude, uncooperative, unprofessional woman, and I don't think it helped. Still, I would do it again (I did for a second interview with another officer). Good luck.

Well, I just received a notice saying my interview has been descheduled :( Not sure what that means... 2 weeks before my citizenship and it gets canceled. Not very happy right now :(

Well, I just received a notice saying my interview has been descheduled :( Not sure what that means... 2 weeks before my citizenship and it gets canceled. Not very happy right now :(

You mean your oath was descheduled. It could be they overbooked oath event or if was moved to another date due to scheduling. In any case, you could go for an Infopass to see if they can reschedule it for you in the spot.

Well folks, my oath was "descheduled." Turns out there were too many people scheduled that day so I got the axe. It was rescheduled for April 20th (yesterday) at the INS office in Oklahoma City. I went, and everything went well, and as ridiculously weird as it feels to type this - nearly 14 years later I am now a US Citizen!!! YAYYY!!

I appreciate all the support from the people I have spoken to on these forums. I will continue checking them to keep updated with everyones progress. Stay positive and don't give up :)

Good luck everyone...