My Interview Experience - Garden City, NY

How long after receiving US Passport do I get back Naturalization certificate?

I became a citizen on July 21st through Naturalization in Norfolk. Received my passport on August 6th through normal processing. When can I expect my Naturalization certificate back? The letter just told me that you will receive the certificate in a separate mail.

Any experiences on how long it takes?

Suresh.

Vorpal, Congratualtions.

I have not been on this board for a while. With all sincerity, I came to the site to find out your progress. I walked over to the Jacksonville DO this morning and was told that I am in the queue to be scheduled for the interview (a bit of a good news for me as well!). Right at that moment, I was thinking whether you got your interview yet. I am extremely happy for you. Good luck with the wedding.

BTW, I have mentioned this in the past as welll but the folks at Jacksonville DO are extremely nice.

Hey man, long time no speak! Good to hear that your name check is finally done. I hope your IL arrives soon!

Congrats Vorpal! Good to see everything worked out well for you and that you will be able to marry as a US citizen. Most importantly - you will be able to go on that honeymoon after all (with a spanking brand new passport)!!

Thank ya!

I'm still in a state of disbelief that USCIS actually did something positive. Perhaps I should play the lotto tonight?:D

Two days

In my case the certificate arrived two days later. Before sending it in, I put a sticker on the back of it with my address and phone number, just in case it got stuck somewhere...

I became a citizen on July 21st through Naturalization in Norfolk. Received my passport on August 6th through normal processing. When can I expect my Naturalization certificate back? The letter just told me that you will receive the certificate in a separate mail.

Any experiences on how long it takes?

Suresh.

Vorpal, any truth to the rumor that your IO will play as the featured band at your wedding?:D

I think it is true... I read something about it in TMZ.com and I think they took that out after couple of hours! I heard minnie-mie will perform too!

I think it is true... I read something about it in TMZ.com and I think they took that out after couple of hours! I heard minnie-mie will perform too!

Mini-me will be featured in the midget-tossing contest during the cocktail hour!;)

In all seriousness, though, it's time for me to find out how long the oath ceremony in Brooklyn takes. I'm scheduled for 8:30 and would really rather not take another day off work. I'm running low on PTO.

it will probably take you 6 months to get interview.

chenwu, I am happy to report to you that you were wrong. My interview is scheduled for September 22nd and my case showed up online for the first time. Thanks for giving me longer view and I was getting prepared for 6 months. I am happy for it but sad that I will not be able to vote in this history making election!

Vorpal, any truth to the rumor that your IO will play as the featured band at your wedding?:D

Haha, that was a good one.

I have been thinking about your interview Bob and I can not wait to see that day for you. It has been a long journey for you and more for us and I am happy that it will end soon because I am tired of you not being a US citizen.

As always, thank you for shopping in walmart.

I am kidding, thank you for your constant support all the time and being a big help for Immigration portal community.

God bless you, and Vorpal congrats for your wedding.

Uncle Nimche

Vorpal, Congratualtions.

I have not been on this board for a while. With all sincerity, I came to the site to find out your progress. I walked over to the Jacksonville DO this morning and was told that I am in the queue to be scheduled for the interview (a bit of a good news for me as well!). Right at that moment, I was thinking whether you got your interview yet. I am extremely happy for you. Good luck with the wedding.

BTW, I have mentioned this in the past as welll but the folks at Jacksonville DO are extremely nice.

Hi tsnbagman, did they tell you when they would be sending out IL? I have not seen many interviews at Jacksonville DO? When did you get to know your IL? Did you already got your IL in mail?

Thanks.
ARonline.

Haha, that was a good one.

I have been thinking about your interview Bob and I can not wait to see that day for you. It has been a long journey for you and more for us and I am happy that it will end soon because I am tired of you not being a US citizen.

As always, thank you for shopping in walmart.

I am kidding, thank you for your constant support all the time and being a big help for Immigration portal community.

God bless you, and Vorpal congrats for your wedding.

Uncle Nimche

Thank you again, Nimche! :)

It's good to see that the exclusive club of summer 2007 backloggers is finally completing the process. I have exactly 2 weeks to go until my oath and I honestly thought that the day will never come.

Hi tsnbagman, did they tell you when they would be sending out IL? I have not seen many interviews at Jacksonville DO? When did you get to know your IL? Did you already got your IL in mail?

Thanks.
ARonline.

Yes, I got the interview letter yesterday. Interview is on September 22nd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Garden City Interview Today

Apologies if I’m hijacking your thread, Vorpal, but I don’t see a point in creating one with the same title. I’ll paste this in the NYC thread as well.

I don’t own a car so I took the LIRR, a very quick ride from Jamaica station. I’m also an avid walker so I walked the rest of the way to 711 Stewart Ave. Country Life Press, rather than Garden City, is the best station to get off at if you want to do this. I recommend it, it’s a good way to clear one’s head before the interview. It’s about a 30 minute walk through a wealthy suburban neighborhood. You will feel American even before you arrive at your naturalization interview: stately homes, freshly mowed lawns, white picket fences, stars and stripes aplenty. (Rumor has it that John McCain owns 10 or 11 houses here :D).

As Vorpal reports, you want the east side of 711 for USCIS. There is a large parking lot across from Ethan Allen. I arrived at 9 am, half an hour before my scheduled interview. Then I went through a typically useless USCIS procedure: people had to line up on the first floor to get a stamp on their interview letter from the lady at window 6, and then go to the second floor to drop off the interview letter at another desk. I mean, all this person does is stamp “received” on the letter, which could as easily be done upstairs when you drop it off. They could free up the salary line for window 6, hire another adjudicator, and process that many more applications. But I guess that wouldn’t make any sense by USCIS logic.

Second floor waiting area was indeed “slammed” as Vorpal says. I hadn’t expected this so early in the morning. But it actually thinned out as the morning wore on. I guess they book a lot of appointments for first thing in the morning and gradually get through them. As for cell phones, I did see signs prohibiting their use, and didn’t witness anyone using one (though security didn’t care if you brought one in). As for attire, I dressed conservatively but there were many people in blue jeans, quite a few in flip flops or sandals, even one guy in torn jeans and a studded belt and another in a tank top and a do-rag.

Second floor system works like this: you drop your letter in a box and take a seat. A clerk occasionally comes round and empties the box, then distributes the letters to the officers (or possibly hands a batch of letters to a single officer as they run low). Other clerks could be seen retrieving the files (all in brown folders) corresponding to the letters. There are many officers, I would say 25 or 30, who keep popping into the waiting area clutching letters and calling names out, which is what you’re waiting for. I waited about an hour and a half, but quite a few people who came in after me were called earlier, since the system is somewhat random. If you can, sit close to the “box”; this is where the majority of the officers appear. Some mumble, some are quiet, some are impatient, and some just can’t pronounce a non-Anglo-Saxon name to save their life. It would be very easy to miss your name if you’re sitting far away, or in the bathroom, etc. Definitely pee before you go to the second floor. :) I also thought of the following trick while I was waiting: If you were to make a small mark with a colored marker on the back of your IL, you would definitely notice it when the officer comes into the waiting area. (Is this defacing government property?) Since some of the officers are holding 3 or 4 interview letters, you might even notice your letter at the back of the pile, and know who will be interviewing you an hour beforehand. It’s a way to pass the time. At Garden City, since there are so many new hires, the prize is to land a senior officer (as Vorpal did) so that you can hopefully get same day approval. It’s a little unsettling: I found that I was apprehensive every time the pretty young lady officer appeared, and rather kept hoping that the old fat white dude would call my name.

I wound up with a thirty-something African-American woman, and her office made it pretty clear that she wasn’t very senior (makeshift cubicles stuffed into a back room; it was actually difficult to hear her because there were two other interviews going on right beside me). She was polite but totally business. No small talk or personal connections were going to happen. She administered the following brief oath: “Are you going to tell the truth?” She asked for my Green Card and Passport—no other documents throughout the whole interview, even though I had the full JohnnyCash arsenal in my bag. Then immediately to the English test. I read the same paragraph that Vorpal mentioned, and then wrote:

1. I vote for good government.
2. I want to be an American citizen.
3. Today is a nice day.

(2 and 3 are in fact true, but I can’t do 1 until I get an oath letter grrrr:mad:).

I then answered the following questions (correctly):

1. What do the stripes on the flag mean?
2. What do we celebrate on July 4th?
3. What are the first 10 amendments to the Constitution called?
4. Name one right guaranteed by the 1st amendment.
5. Who helped the Pilgrims?
:)rolleyes:This is such a ridiculous question. Are we in kindergarten? The Pilgrims shot the natives and gave them smallpox)
6. Name some countries that were our enemies in WWII.
7. What is the executive of a state government called?
8. How long is the President elected for?
9. Who elects the President?
10. How many members are there in the House of Representatives?

She then proceeded to literally WHIZ through my N-400. She confirmed the occasional answer—my address, my place of employment, my marriage, my kid—but mostly just madly checked items. When she got to Part 7 (travel), although I have taken a few trips since applying, she only asked for the most recent one and jotted that down on the form. She read many but not all questions in Part 10 (she did ask all of H, of course), and oddly stressed the question, DO YOU HAVE ANY MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS?:confused:

I then signed the form with my physical details for the oath ceremony as well as my originally submitted photographs (she didn't ask for new ones). There was no margin on my photos; she had me sign vertically in the “white space” above my left shoulder, which she rubbed down with a pencil eraser. Signature was normal, not cursive.

All the above took about 7 minutes. The remainder of the time I sat there quietly while she very quickly thumbed through every page of my A-file. It’s pretty clear that these junior officers have a lot of pressure on them to adjudicate many applications and aren’t given adequate time to prepare. While I was in the waiting area, I could see into the larger offices of some senior officers, who were clearly spending time reviewing files before stepping out and calling the applicant. This officer, who I would guess had about 15 minutes allotted per application, did the reverse: English and Civics, then review the application, then scan the A-file for any inconsistencies.

I was spared one major headache today. I’ve had no worries about my application being (eventually) approved, but I was very nervous about the “dual A-file” issue. During the course of my relationship with the INS and USCIS, I have been assigned no fewer than three A-numbers. Many people on this forum have reported finding out at their interview that a decision could not be made because their various A-files had yet to be “consolidated,” a process that seems to take anywhere from two months to two years beyond the interview. When I saw the file in front of my AO, I was worried at first: it was thick, which was reassuring, but it was a single file with my current A# as the title. But as she scanned the file, I saw how it was put together: on the left side of the file, attached by a two-hole fastener, was all the documentation pertaining to my naturalization and permanent residency applications, while on the right side of the file, attached with another two-hole fastener, was a thinner pile of documents that I recognized as old EADs, APs, etc (under the other A#s). Atop this second pile was a transcript, which appeared to show my name three times, each with a different A#. (Strangely there was a fourth row on this transcript with a name that was only marginally similar to my own: same first letters, similar consonants, but Spanish whereas mine is English??? Is this some weird namecheck match? She did ask me if I’d used any other names. Perhaps it was just an issue with the printout though.)

As you may have guessed, the end result on my N-652 was that I passed, and that my “application has been recommended for approval.” She confirmed that she doesn’t approve applications herself. I asked for some clarification on the process, how long it would take, how I could check up on it, etc, but she just told me, “I put it in a box and then I don’t know what happens to it.” :( I expressed my anxiety over being able to register to vote before Oct. 10th, but she wasn’t very interested.

Anyway, although I would have rather had instant senior AO approval, I’m happy :) with the result, which is infinitely better than finding out that they couldn’t locate one or another of my A-files. No question that the interview is the biggest hurdle to clear, and now it’s over. Thanks to everybody here, especially Vorpal, Bobsmyth, JohnnyCash, and all on the NYC thread, for support, advice, commiseration, and many helpful discussions.

Oh, by the way, best of luck tomorrow, Bobsmyth (Raleigh/Durham) and zkar (Garden City)!

Consider yourself allowed to hijack my thread! j/k

Congratulations on passing the interview and passing a very important milestone in this messy process. As you've pointed out, the biggest obstacle is now out of your way. Thrix got his IL fairly quickly after his interview (albeit he interviewed at Fed Plaza), so I'm confident you'll get yours soon!

Consider yourself allowed to hijack my thread! j/k

Congratulations on passing the interview and passing a very important milestone in this messy process. As you've pointed out, the biggest obstacle is now out of your way. Thrix got his IL fairly quickly after his interview (albeit he interviewed at Fed Plaza), so I'm confident you'll get yours soon!

Thanks Vorpal.

Thrix got his OL (you meant OL, right?) same day, didn't he? I'm not sure what the timeline is for people who have to await final approval. I'm going to keep on their case about it however.

Thanks Vorpal.

Thrix got his OL (you meant OL, right?) same day, didn't he? I'm not sure what the timeline is for people who have to await final approval. I'm going to keep on their case about it however.

Yes, I meant OL. I've heard of other applicants getting same day OLs at Fed Plaza, but it doesn't seem to happen very often at Garden City. I really hope that you get to vote this year!

Yes, I meant OL. I've heard of other applicants getting same day OLs at Fed Plaza, but it doesn't seem to happen very often at Garden City. I really hope that you get to vote this year!

If they don't let me Joe Biden is going to kick someone's @$$.:D