My green card expire while waiting for decision, what to do?

Mimi1212

Registered Users (C)
Hello there people!

So after 30 days of sending the additional info needed after my interview on November, I have nothing yet from them. My green card will exprired in Feb and I don't know what to do. Do you guys have any advice for me? I live 6 hours away from Altanta so getting an infopass sounds like it could be my last option. I'm just worried about my employment, I will be laid off soon and I'm not sure I can collect umemployment with my expired GC.

Please help!

Mimi

The solution is simple -- renew it for $290 there is a chance
you waste this amount of money if you get your citizenship
after you file GC renewal. But either you have to balance
risk/benefits to make a choice or do not complain

Scenario 1: do not renew GC and citizenship come sin time
Scanario 2: renew the GC for $ 290 but citizenship come in time and $ 290 is watsed
Scanario 3: do not renew GC but citizenship does not come in time and
lose the opportunity for travel. employment, unemployment conpensation etc.

By the way, you can use your driver license and
no-restriction SS card to do I-9. Hope your SS card
is a no-restriction card.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you filed the N-400 when there was more than 6 months remaining on the GC, you can make an Infopass appointment to get an I-551 stamp in your passport for free, without having to file I-90 to renew the card. Based on the filing date shown in your signature (July 2009) and your green card expiration being in February, you would qualify.

Hello there people!

So after 30 days of sending the additional info needed after my interview on November, I have nothing yet from them. My green card will exprired in Feb and I don't know what to do. Do you guys have any advice for me? I live 6 hours away from Altanta so getting an infopass sounds like it could be my last option. I'm just worried about my employment, I will be laid off soon and I'm not sure I can collect umemployment with my expired GC.

Please help!

Mimi

By the way, Jackolantern said in such case, one can get a GC extention sticker for free . Don't know details

Make an Infopass appointment, bring the passport and proof of N-400 filing, explain the situation and ask for the stamping (or sticker, if that's what they prefer to give).

Make an Infopass appointment, bring the passport and proof of N-400 filing, explain the situation and ask for the stamping (or sticker, if that's what they prefer to give).

So the condition is there is more than 6 months on GC? Is there any "less than" condition. the stamp or teh sticker is 1 year then
it is meaningless if there is more than one year remaining on GC unless you see benefits of having two GCs (one real GC and one
equivalent) of course the sticker or stamp should be opn passport rather than on GC otherwise if GC expires in 2012 it does not make
sense to have a sticker there saying expire in 2011.

Many people here go to infopass apointments anyway and even though they have up to 5 years on GC
can they also get such I-551 stamp just for fun? It is free and they need to go to infopass anyway for other purpose.

Thanks people, money isn't an issue, I'm just worried I won't have a citizenship OR a valid GC while appliying for unemployment or being employed. Given the GC renewal will take more than a month to get processed, so I won't have a new one before Feb ends.

Now the stamp on the passport sounds like a better solution, would an expired passport work?

and WBH I'm not complaining I'm asking for help haha.

So the condition is there is more than 6 months on GC? Is there any "less than" condition.
No. The "more than" condition is to compensate the individual if USCIS takes too long to process the case. Whereas if you filed N-400 with less than 6 months remaining, USCIS is not expected to complete the N-400 process in less than 6 months, so they consider it your fault if the GC expires while the N-400 is pending, because you are the one who chose to file it so late.
Many people here go to infopass apointments anyway and even though they have up to 5 years on GC can they also get such I-551 stamp just for fun? It is free and they need to go to infopass anyway for other purpose.
I don't think they will give the stamp unless the green card is almost expired or has already expired.

I'm just worried I won't have a citizenship OR a valid GC while appliying for unemployment or being employed.

Use combination of driver license and a no-restriction SSN card. Hope your SSN card has no such restriction like "invalid to work" "work only with
USCIS authroization etc".

Check when your DL expire. If it is expiring imminently, you can have a big trouble if you are in some states that requires citizenship or immigration paper to renew driver license.

My SSN has no restriction and my DL expires with my GC so I won't have a DL after Feb either =(. As I mentioned would it be a problem if my passport is expired? for the I-551 that is.

Do GC renewals take long?

My SSN has no restriction and my DL expires with my GC so I won't have a DL after Feb either =(. As I mentioned would it be a problem if my passport is expired? for the I-551 that is.

I don't know how DMV works in your state but most likely you can go there to have your DLK renewed now. So I highly suggest you immediately go to driver license office to renew your driver license NOW. You still have a valid GC now in case DMV ask for it. In some states they only give DL valid up to
the last valid day of immigration status but that usually not applicablt to PRs.
So if you renew your DL now, your new DL will have severals years.

If you do not renew DL before your GC expiure and if citizenship really does not come in time, then you face a big dillema. Driving without license
is more serious than ordinary traffic violations and can make you eligble
for oath

adding my 2 cents... Renew DL now.

Get a stamp on expired passport. If they do not do it in USCIS office, try another one.

Passport Expired, GC Expiring and DL expiring. Wow! For whatever reason you have really got yourself in a "close" situation. If I were you and depending upon your country I would at least start the process of expedited passport renewal and then set up an infopass per Jackolantern's suggestion. I know some of you may not agree but reducing the anxiety itself would offset the cost. Secondly I would suggest contacting your local senator and explain the situation and see if they can help. Did you call and speak to a second level IO?

Jacko, Can he apply for GC renewal and then once he gets his renewed passport, still go and get a I-551 stamp on the passport.

For me, it took 5 months - from filing I-90 to receiving the plastic in the mail. It is also more expensive than $290 because they charge additional biometrics fee. I think for me it was either $360 or $380 or something of that sort.

They will probably not put an I-551 stamp in an expired passport because you cannot travel with it. For the employment purposes, they accept the I-551 stamp until the expiration date, and these day they no longer stamp for the whole year. In my case, it was only 6 months, and that was how long my employment authorisation was valid according to my employer. So, it will not help you much.

My DL office gives DLs only to the date of the expired GC, so my GC and my DL expire the SAME day, I don't think they will renew it without me showing a valid GC or my citizenship....do they accept the I-551 on my passport for DL renewal?

Do I have to go to tha same DO office to get this stamp that my case is being processed? I have a closer USICS office in New Orleans that I can try going to for this stamp, I was fingerprinted there for my Citezenship Application back in Aug but my intreview had to be done in ATL.

Jacko, Can he apply for GC renewal and then once he gets his renewed passport, still go and get a I-551 stamp on the passport.

I think now in GC renewal procedure they can place a extension sticker on
the old green card

Why wouldn't the states follow the federal government in their determination of applicant's immigration status? The USCIS clearly states that the PR status does not expire even if the GC expires. What is so hard to understand about this?

As I mentioned would it be a problem if my passport is expired? for the I-551 that is.
They will give the I-551 in an expired passport. But I don't know if the DMV in your state would accept the expired passport. Ask for an extension sticker on the GC, so the passport expiration wouldn't matter.

Does your state DMV have the option to renew the license by mail or Internet for permanent residents? If yes, you may be able to do that without renewing the GC or getting an I-551 stamp or extension.