Montreal Interview Tracker -- Part DeuX [Ara2000, AttaBoy, CDN_CPER, Dongky, Enduring, GC Indian, Ja

Alanfoley12,
Supplementary Instructions for Canadian applicants that come with P3 clearly state that if you are not a Canadian citizen or PR:
"you must provide the NVC a copy of your visa that states that you may legally remain in Canada for at least six more months".
So, if possible, your best bet would be to somehow get the work permit extended, just to be safe.

Good Luck.

Muffin1973,
I belong to the family-based immigration(Montreal consular processing). My priority date is Nov.12,1997 and the current cut-off date is Oct 15, 1997. I want to know if right after my visa becomes current, the NVC will schedule the immgration interview. Thanks.

successful interview

thank you all for the help. We have completed our interview successfully. Happy to have the visa with us.

The interview was quick. Our UAE pcc was 2 yrs 'expired', consular asked us if we returned to UAE since we got the PCC. We said no and that was that.

The other questions were, will your employer provide health benefits? Have you been married more than once?

Thanks to all of you again

Muffin:

I received 2 plastic cards (self and son) 3 weeks from the POE date. I received 2 more plastic cards (wife and daughter) 5 weeks from POE date. The INS does not seem to be following the principle of "ladies first" while issuing the plastic cards. Give it a few more weeks.

Prithis

Prithis
Thank you prithis.
when do they mail out the plastic cards? Is it after we move to the US for good(ie all family is in the US)?
I was wondering because you said you commute to the US for work, did they mail out the plastic cards after you moved to the US for good in June (like you had mentioned?)

Thanks

They mail out all the plastic cards after the POE, irrespective of whether you actually move permanently to the US or your family moves to the US. I am still commuting between USA and Canada every week and my family is still living in Canada. Yet all of us have received the plactic cards. We gave an address in the US to receive the plastic cards. We will be making the final move to the US in the last week of June, when my son completes his school term in Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lucienmike:
Yes - that's my understanding. Once your priority date is current, NVC schedules an interview and sends you Packet IV.
Visa1:
Many congratulations and enjoy your new status! It is a huge relief to be done!
Alanfoley12:
Good idea with renewing the work permit.
Prithis:
My wife's welcome notice arrived today, so she's "in the system". Should be another week or so for the card.
Muffin1973

all good news...and congrats....

I am wondering the average wait time from the point you filed your I-140, then get approved, receive the P3 and then interview...overall, how much time did you wait ? Thanks....

Wishmaster,
It can be between 5-10 months, depending on how prompt (or inept!) your attorneys can be. There is excellent tracking information at www.cptracker.com, giving detailed information for the exact question that you ask.
Muffin1973

Thanks, Muffin1973. And the info is very helpful.
I am also wondering specifically what you mean by "how prompt (or inept!) your attorneys can be", in what steps or areas, documents or any specific responses in the process...
Thanks a bunch.

W-

I know this topic has been discussed in this forum before. But as a Cp'er I was wondering if anyone here knows the issues if we do not serve our future employer (sponsorer of my cp for future job) and instead opt to join some other employer after GC?

visa1 said:
I know this topic has been discussed in this forum before. But as a Cp'er I was wondering if anyone here knows the issues if we do not serve our future employer (sponsorer of my cp for future job) and instead opt to join some other employer after GC?

If you have got your GC through the CP process then you are required to
join the sponsor immediately after obtaining the GC. This can raise up
during your citizenship and Naturalization processes later. There can also
be an immediate effect if the sponsor approaches the INS.

Raju

Anyone wishing to answer this one:
Does the 6 month visa validation rule apply to one's just entering at POE for the first time and then given additional time to move later or one has to move with family and goods within that period?

Hi Prithis,
Question re: POE
I was just curious as to why you chose Detroit-Windsor as your POE as opposed to NY, a closer one?

Gccom:

As I understand, the visa validity date (usually 6 months) is the maximum time given to the holder to do his POE. Once the holder does the POE, the POE date is the date from which the residence and citizenship clock starts ticking. The holder can take additional time after the POE to make his final move. However, he must move within a timeframe which will not violate the residence requirements which start from the POE date.

I did the POE at Detroit simply because of logistic reasons. I wanted to drive to Chicago from Toronto with my family, and do the POE on the way, and Detroit just happened to be the logical border crossing between Toronto and Chicago. As it turned out, I got all my family's plastic cards in about 1 month, and was able to apply for the SSNs for my family immediately after the POE, so it was not a bad place to do the POE.

Prithis

Wishmaster,
Well, there are a few things...(1) the NVC should receive your file from the USCIS pretty soon (a week, month MAXIMUM) after the I-140 approval. If they don't, you need to keep on them (2) potential bill issues. Apparently, the NVC only issues a fee bill for the beneficiary, not his/her family members. So, I waited three months for an additional fee bill to be issued! My gut tells me that the attorneys dropped the ball on this one because numerous other posters have said that this was never an issue for their cases. When I pressed the attorneys hard on this issue, a bill magically appeared within a week (3) Just follow instructions on the submission of documents for Packet III. The NVC makes it crystal clear, yet my attorneys (who I had presumed had done this countless times!) managed to forget some documents.... (4) If things are taking a while, and you sense something is not right, call the NVC! It is not like calling the USCIS, you actually get to talk to a human being that is pleasant and helpful.
Muffin1973

Prithis:
I was planing to use movers to transfer mine to the US via windsor poe. Would you be using movers to transfer your belongings from Canada to the US when you move for good? If yes, do you know what the procedure is at the POE to get it cleared across the border especially when I am not accompanying the professional movers with their truck? What docs do they need to see at the border and so on?

Also have you decided on which mover you will be using?
Thank you in advance.

Visa1:

I am using AMJ Campbell Van Lines. They are a division of Atlas Van Lines. Before Toronto I used to live in New Jersey. When I moved to Toronto from NJ, I had used Atlas Van Lines, and I found the move to be painless. So I am using them again.

You need to get a home/apartment in the US. Then you need to contact 2 to 3 movers, get them to inspect your current home and get quotes from them. When you decide on one, you need to decide on a date and time for them to collect your stuff. Remember, June-July is the moving season in North America. You must also consider what notice you need to give to your current landlord, if you rent. Then you need to give the movers photocopies of your green card, ALL pages of your passport and a completed Customs form 3299 (I have uploaded this). That is all. There is nothing to be done at the POE for the unaccompanied stuff that goes by truck. The moving agent will get it cleared and delivered it to your home in the US. If there are any problems in clearing the stuff (highly unlikely if you are shipping regular personal effects and used furniture etc), then they will contact you.

If you are driving your car with you to the US, remember to carry WITH YOU the original Canadian registration document, letter from the manufacturer that it meets US emission standards and that it has no outstanding recalls, insurance papers, etc. At the POE, declare that you are importing the car to the USA and see a Customs agent. This is all that I know at present.

I will be doing my move during the weekend of 26 June. I will post my experience relating to the move and importing my car to the US soon after that, if you are interested.

Prithis

Last edited by a moderator:
A Good POE

Hello List;
Many many thanks to this list for helping me geeting prepared. This is an awesome list.

I have my CP interview on Monday. Can someone post me which will be a good POE to get me the plastic cards quickly. I will be driving. I have Churchill, Niagara, Windsor, Sarnia or Buffalo in mind.

Thanks again. Everyone of you is helping people like me.