Missing Evidence(s) in NOA for N400

aloha_CA

Registered Users (C)
I have gotten NOA for N400 application today. NOA shows "Receipt with Exception" and says:

The above application has been received by our office and is in process, but has
noted with one or more of the following exception(s):
Missing Evidence(s) - your application was missing evidence(s) that you will need to provide at the time of our naturalization interview. You will be notified under separate notice of the necessary evidence(s) that you will be required to bring to your interview. Do not submit any evidence(s) by mail.

What kind of evidence(s) that possibly I have missed to send together with my N400 application? Will it be a problem for me?

I have sent the following things:
1) completed N400 application with my signature.
2) Check of $675.00 which was cashed without any problem.

I got my GC based on EB2 and applied for citizenship within the time frame that USCIS recommends. Did not break any residency requirement and not have any legal trouble so far. Mine is a pretty normal application.
Also, I have requested a name change (very simple one. I would like to have one complete first name (my first name is composed of two words where there is a space between them and my GC has that name. I would like to remove a space and make my first name as one word.)

Shouldn't I have sent a photocopy of my GC or my photos together with N400 application? I did not see
any of these in the instruction of N400 application.

Has anybody gotten a similar NOA stating missing evidence(s)?
Any information would be appreciated.

Aloha_CA

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry, that is standard response if you answered YES to any of questions in back pages of form or if you were married before. You'll have a chance to provide the requested information during the interview.

Shouldn't I have sent a photocopy of my GC or my photos together with N400 application? I did not see

Aloha_CA

As for the GC photocopy and passport pictues, USCIS assumes you have read the naturalization guide along with the filing instructions.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/M-476.pdf

Don't worry, that is standard response if you answered YES to any of questions in back pages of form or if you were married before. You'll have a chance to provide the requested information during the interview.

Bobsmyth - I just searched the information in this website and someone wrote about the necessary documents for N400 application. He suggested that it would be better if I should have included 1) cover letter stating my intention for naturalization and what kind of category that my GC is based on, 2) photocopy of GC, 3) two naturalization photos (signature on the back) etc.

Well, that would have been nice if N400 instruction has clearly stated them, which it did not.

For me, I was never married before and got GC after 25 so no further clarification of selective service registration(?).

Guess I have to wait for another NOA saying what evidence(s) are missing...
Just hope this does not delay my case...

Aloha_CA

Hi aloha_CA,

So are you saying that you did not include a copy of your GC or two passport-style photographs? If so, then this is the missing evidence.

In addition, if you marked that you have gotten any traffic tickets or citations, then you would get the 'evidence missing' NOA.

Hi aloha_CA,

So are you saying that you did not include a copy of your GC or two passport-style photographs? If so, then this is the missing evidence.

In addition, if you marked that you have gotten any traffic tickets or citations, then you would get the 'evidence missing' NOA.

LolaLi - Well, I did not get any ticket or citations at least for 5 years (one in 9 or 10 years ago, which I have paid the fine and now I am trying to get CA driving abstract from DMV. ). I did not check YES on any of the issues that may require further evidence(s).

A copy of my GC and two passport-style photographs would be my missing evidence.

So, how do I send them to USCIS? NOA says I may need to bring them when I go to interview. Or can I send them by mail?

Anyone had this experience before?

Thanks in advance.

Aloha_CA

LolaLi - Well, I did not get any ticket or citations at least for 5 years (one in 9 or 10 years ago, which I have paid the fine and now I am trying to get CA driving abstract from DMV. ). I did not check YES on any of the issues that may require further evidence(s).

A copy of my GC and two passport-style photographs would be my missing evidence.

So, how do I send them to USCIS? NOA says I may need to bring them when I go to interview. Or can I send them by mail?

Anyone had this experience before?

Thanks in advance.

Aloha_CA

The Adjudication Handbook states that in cases such as yours, the interviewing officer will have to be extra careful in proving identity. So at the time of your interview, he/she will probably want to see more identification beyond the GC and passport. Remember they have your photographs from previous applications in your A-File, as well as proof of your permanent residency. And you should definitely take at least two passport style photographs at the time of your interview.

Although the NOA says not to send anything via post, it wouldn't hurt to send the photographs as well as a copy of the GC and NOA to the address shown at the bottom of the NOA. Include a cover letter explaining the basic evidence was missing and for them to update your file. They may or may not update the file. Be sure to send it via registered mail so you can have proof of delivery to show at the time of the interview. Be sure to also keep a copy of everything you send to them.

By the way, the required documents for submission of the N-400 are listed in the Guide to Naturalization. In fact, the N-400 instructions asks applicants to use the guide as their premier reference document.

Hope this helps.

The Adjudication Handbook states that in cases such as yours, the interviewing officer will have to be extra careful in proving identity. So at the time of your interview, he/she will probably want to see more identification beyond the GC and passport. Remember they have your photographs from previous applications in your A-File, as well as proof of your permanent residency. And you should definitely take at least two passport style photographs at the time of your interview.

Although the NOA says not to send anything via post, it wouldn't hurt to send the photographs as well as a copy of the GC and NOA to the address shown at the bottom of the NOA. Include a cover letter explaining the basic evidence was missing and for them to update your file. They may or may not update the file. Be sure to send it via registered mail so you can have proof of delivery to show at the time of the interview. Be sure to also keep a copy of everything you send to them.

By the way, the required documents for submission of the N-400 are listed in the Guide to Naturalization. In fact, the N-400 instructions asks applicants to use the guide as their premier reference document.

Hope this helps.

Dear LolaLi - Thanks for your kind reply. It's my fault. Well, I will try to send those via mail although NOA said I should not.
Hope USCIS does not delay my case.

Aloha_CA

Any traffic tickets you mentioned are the likely missing evidence.

But why? The Guide To Naturalization says:
]Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to submit documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine less than $500 and/or points on your driver’s license.

Great idea to ask people not to disclose the documents and then request these as missing evidence! What's the point?

Great idea to ask people not to disclose the documents and then request these as missing evidence! What's the point?

I've always thought that about traffic tickets. The guide clearly states that no evidence needs to be provided, yet just about every applicant who has been interviewed reported that the IO asked for proof of payment and/or court dispositions for traffic tickets, regardless of the offense or fine amount.

Need Not worry

I have gotten NOA for N400 application today. NOA shows "Receipt with Exception" and says:

The above application has been received by our office and is in process, but has
noted with one or more of the following exception(s):
Missing Evidence(s) - your application was missing evidence(s) that you will need to provide at the time of our naturalization interview. You will be notified under separate notice of the necessary evidence(s) that you will be required to bring to your interview. Do not submit any evidence(s) by mail.

What kind of evidence(s) that possibly I have missed to send together with my N400 application? Will it be a problem for me?

I have sent the following things:
1) completed N400 application with my signature.
2) Check of $675.00 which was cashed without any problem.

I got my GC based on EB2 and applied for citizenship within the time frame that USCIS recommends. Did not break any residency requirement and not have any legal trouble so far. Mine is a pretty normal application.
Also, I have requested a name change (very simple one. I would like to have one complete first name (my first name is composed of two words where there is a space between them and my GC has that name. I would like to remove a space and make my first name as one word.)

Has anybody gotten a similar NOA stating missing evidence(s)?
Any information would be appreciated.

Aloha_CA

I too got a similar kind of letter and I had not included my photos or the GC photocopy. But they never sent me one which stated what it was missing. So during the interview I submitted them and I got my citizenship.

Dont worry you are getting tensed unnecessarily.