Misc. OCI Application Questions

I would apply for an PIO go to india and then convert to an OCI in India. the other option is to get paid in the US by the US company, and go there on a business visa while applying for a OCI here after you get your passport. Once you get your OCI, you will have to make an additional trip out back to the US.

They do care about parents citizenship since OCI is not available to foriegn national kids with parents who are still Indian citizens. However, they only need photocopies of all the documents they ask for. The only one they need in original when the applicant go for stamping of the OCI, is his/her own.

All these answers are based on the way OCI is being practiced here in the US. Dont know if it is different for the UK.

They do care about parents citizenship since OCI is not available to foriegn national kids with parents who are still Indian citizens. However, they only need photocopies of all the documents they ask for. The only one they need in original when the applicant go for stamping of the OCI, is his/her own.

All these answers are based on the way OCI is being practiced here in the US. Don't know if it is different for the UK.

The issue is not about caring for parents' citizenship, issue is about using father's passport vs. certificate of naturalization to prove parent's citizenship.

thank you so much for the responses. how long does the pio card take to process in new york city? is it faster than the oci card?

Where to get pictures for OCI application? Looks like their photo requirement is different from US passport's. They are asking yellow or blue background. I am not sure if walgreen does this. Any help is appreciated. (I will be applying at Chicago consulate)

Surrender certificate: Do we need to apply for this before OCI application. Looks like there is $175 fees we have to pay to do this.

ENUNCIATION FORM AND SURRENDER CERTIFICATE:

You must enclose the copy of the Surrender Certificate in both sets of the application for individual OCI applicant apart from the items listed above. If you do not have surrender certificate issued by the Indian Government authorities after seeking foreign nationality, then follow the procedure for applying surrender certificate by clicking the tab below. This is essential to process your OCI application.

Thanks.

How many photographs are required for OCI application in Washington DC?

How many photographs are required for OCI application in Washington DC?

I looked at the DC Indian embassy site on 05/18 and it mentioned 2 photographs glued on part A form and one attached to the envelop.

I see that some people have submitted 5 photos with thier OCI application to Washington D.C. They glued 2 photos to each copy of Part-A form?

I see a place holder for only one photo on part A form. We are submitting 2 sets of part A form. This totals to 2 pictures, Then we include one photo in the envelope. This totals to 3 photos in all. So I interpret it as 3 photos.

Should I take it as 3 pictures for OCI application to Washington DC?

Keep COLOR COPIES OF GREEN CARDS before taken away at the oath.

Friends, my wife and I passed the Citizenship test on this Monday and going for the Oath on this Friday. I have a situation and was wondering if my fellow expert friends may give me some suggestions on how to proceed.

Surrender certificate question..

The OCI checklist only mentions surrender certificate. My question: do we need to include the original certificate or a copy of it?

Thanks.

Per the checklist, it looks like they are aksing for original. I sent the original SC else they may send back my OCI package again. Hopefully they send it back with passports (US, all Indian passports) I sent them. Also included self attested copy of SC with each of the two OCI sets.

Actually, I sent them just the copies of the SC and they seem to be fine with it. (my OCI app status is already granted/scanned).

Dear Friends,

Please support the petition opposing renunciation of Indian citizenship at

http://www.petitiononline.com/OCIpeti/petition.html

with the subject: Opposition to mandatory renunciation of Indian Citizenship and request to consider OCI as a "standalone" document and make it a success by posting atleast 50000 signatures by July 15 2010.

Please circulate this url to all your friends by email.

Regards,

Deepak

Hello All,
I am applying for OCI at SFO consulate.
I have couple of question about the OCI application:

1) For US citizens applying for OCI what should be the answer to the following?
part B:
16. Does the country of applicant(s) permit dual citizenship in some form or the other?*******Yes/No* If no, give specific details

2)
PartA: for signature or thumb impression for minor kids. should we take thumb impresssion?

3)
I will paste two photograph on PartA for all family members. Do we need to send two more photographs other than what we paste on Part A?

Thanks in Advance.

OCI Application Number

Friends,
My OCI time line @ Chicago Consulate.
Applied Online - July 26, 2006
Sent Documents - July 27, 2006
Received Cocuments @ Consulate - July 28, 2006
(I forgot to keep a copy of the forms for me, hene dont know my applicatino number)
Awaiting for the receipt from the consulate with.
Any thoughts, how we could get he application number before I recieve the receipt from the consulate.
Any experiences from any one who has applied during the same time and have their case statu progressed.
Please share information.
Thanks and lot
YSU

Go to online enquiry site
Clcik on Forgotten Registration Number? on top riight corner.
Enter Passport Number and Date of Birth.
You will get the Registration Number. You can also print a copy of your application showing what you have entered in Part A of the application.

OCI Misc services for minors who’s both parents are Indians

We are able to get the OCI for our minor kid back in 2006 when there was no restriction on at least one parent to be non-Indian.

We were able to use the OCI card for couple of visits to India – no issues at the immigration ports.

Now it is time to apply for misc. services (due to the renewal of US passport). New rules imply that my kid is not eligible to renew the OCI card. CGI Chicago doesn’t have any information on this and they are not responding to emails and phones. After researching a while, I found the following from the the CGI – Edinburgh: “Minor PIO children whose both parents are Indian nationals or if one parent is an Indian national and the other is ineligible for OCI, are not eligible for registration as OCI. Such minor OCIs who are already issued with OCI cards are not eligible for services under OCI Miscellaneous services. “

I would like to know if anyone had a similar experience. Appreciate your inputs.
Project_A

Project_A

Iam almost in same boat as you except that now both me and my wife are now US citizens and our daughter was recently issued a new US PP.
I tried using the Misc service for inputting her details to submit and print the form, the database cant get her OCI details !!!
She recieved her OCI during August of 2006.

Thank you for the post. If you are a USC now, then there should not be any issue in renewing the OCI for your minor kids. I am still waiting for my GC and therefore my situation is different. As far applying online, you will need to enter all the details exactly as you find in your OCI card. For example, the city field may have "city , zipcode" in your OCI card. If so, simply entering the city in the online application doesn't work. You will have to enter spaces, commas including the zipcode. Please refer to the earlier posts on this matter. Hope this is helpful.

Thanks Project_A, I was able to proceed with next step to apply for my daughters OCI application for new PP

All,
I just posted my daughter's OCI Misc service documents to stamp OCI visa on newly issues US PP to Washington DC.
Iam putting in dates for tracking
OCI Misc docs mailed: 11/15/2010
Docs recieved by embassy :11/16/2010
OCI Ackowledged:
OCI Scanned:
OCI Granted:
OCI Printed:
OCI Shipped:

Also as part of the usual copy of applicants OCI book,US-Passport with U-Visa I made sure I sent mine(father) and wife's(mother's) OCI card copy and US-pp with U-visa stamp in case they want to verify

Last edited by a moderator: