Misc. OCI Application Questions

I checked w/ the DC office of the TRAVISA services, they responded that you could write a cover note w/ your visa application mentioning that your passport is with the Embassy for OCI processing and also attach a copy. They will cancel the passport when the OCI processing is over, presumably that's why they need it for the Visa processing too.

Folks, you have all been so kind enough to respond.

I have one more question. When I apply for OCI, they have requested to send my indian passport in original. If I send the original indian passport for OCI and then I need to travel while OCI is in process, I would need to apply for an Indian visitor visa. There they say "Applicants born in India applying for the first time on ANY U.S. passport must submit their Indian passport and a completed renunciation form ". But I wont have the original indian passport. So what could I do? Any ideas.

Thanks for your answers.

Thanks guys for being very responsive. I really appreciate your response and this forum has been very helpful to me. One question before I send the OCI application tomorrow.

The website says to paste Total TWO photos on the application forms. There is also a checklist which says Two 2"x2" photographs. Does this mean I need to keep 2 extra photographs in addition to the ones pasted in the form? I am going through the SFO consulate of India.

Thanks

Wrong File Number Please check it

I was trying to check the status of my application that I sent a week back and I am getting message 'Wrong File Number Please check it'. Yesterday when I check it was saying 'Not Acknowlegded'.

Anybody seen this message before. I am trying to enter the number USAHI1......in the second box of the online status checking screen.

OCI - Wrong file number please check it message

I am also getting "Wrong file number please check it" message when I tried to check the status of my OCI application. My date of submission of OCI application is 9/15/2009.

Would like to know if other people also faced this type of situation previously?

I am also getting "Wrong file number please check it" message when I tried to check the status of my OCI application. My date of submission of OCI application is 9/15/2009.

Would like to know if other people also faced this type of situation previously?

It would take atleast a week to get acknowledgment date. I applied to Houston consulate on 09/18/2009. I did see wrong file... message few times. I went to "mha.nic.in/uniquepage.asp?Id_Pk=553" and used the online status link. It showed acknowledged status from 09/24/2009 onwards...

Also this link works only in Internet Explorer (not Fire Fox)

I overnighted mine in to Houston about 2 weeks ago. I just checked online and got a 24-SEP-2009 as date of acknowledgment & Photo/Signature scanned on 25-SEP-2009. Really hope this thing comes in before November. :)

as a note, use passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp to check status, it works under firefox too. :D

Which one of these ... POI or OCI doesn't require applicant to send US passport in Original ? I don't trust the Indian consulate when it comes to anything in Original, especially something as important as the Passport. Can i send attested copies or something ?

Which one of these ... POI or OCI doesn't require applicant to send US passport in Original ? I don't trust the Indian consulate when it comes to anything in Original, especially something as important as the Passport. Can i send attested copies or something ?

For both PIO and OCI, you need a visa stamp on US passport so you will need to send US passport. Probably you can go in person to have them stamp your passport.

Thanks guys for being very responsive. I really appreciate your response and this forum has been very helpful to me. One question before I send the OCI application tomorrow.

The website says to paste Total TWO photos on the application forms. There is also a checklist which says Two 2"x2" photographs. Does this mean I need to keep 2 extra photographs in addition to the ones pasted in the form? I am going through the SFO consulate of India.

Thanks

Just paste 2"x2" size photo in the application form.

Fee Change for OCI applicants with PIO cards...

My application was returned today because the OCI fees for PIO card holders has increased from $25 to $145. If you dont know, something to note to avoid delays. I emailed them, apparently new fee change came into effect on September 14th, 2009. I guess the website was not updated, since I mailed my documents on September 18th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Applying OCI - PIO Card Copy

Hi

Do we have to send a notarized copy of the PIO card while applying for OCI?
Or

a self attested copy is fine? If yes, how would kid attest their copies? Can parents sign it as True Copy?

Thanks!

Fees

Thanks for sharing the info. Is the increase only for PIO card holders or also for other applicants?

The website of CGI NY is still pointing to old fees.

OCI application for infant

I am going to apply for OCI for myself and will be adding my infant on my application. How do I take the infant's thumb impression? Do I need to take him while submitting the application.
Thanks in advance.

You do not need to take anyone. Most (all) of the work can be done by mail, but people prefer to do some steps in person, depending on your location some might be allowed in person, some may not be.

I read in some threads (some other site maybe) that they are not so picky about missing thumb impression for infants. More than one people have sent that as blank with an attached explanation, and got approved. Still, call your local consulate and reconfirm. If you need to take the impression, it is hard but still possible - try when the kid is sleeping and orient the paper rather than the hand. You can do this at home.

You do not need to take anyone. Most (all) of the work can be done by mail, but people prefer to do some steps in person, depending on your location some might be allowed in person, some may not be.

I read in some threads (some other site maybe) that they are not so picky about missing thumb impression for infants. More than one people have sent that as blank with an attached explanation, and got approved. Still, call your local consulate and reconfirm. If you need to take the impression, it is hard but still possible - try when the kid is sleeping and orient the paper rather than the hand. You can do this at home.

Yeah, also practice 2/3 times on a sample printout of the application form or a plain white paper. You don't want to take risk of not taking the thumb impression of the applicant/baby. Also make sure you use the correct thumb (right or left) depending on the gender of the baby.

Address Change Question

Hello All,

My OCI is approved and I am able to see the status online that my application is back in Chicago and I need to send passports to get U sticker.

Problem I have is that I recently moved to a new address and I am not sure how to communicate that to the consulate so that they dont send the passports to the old address.

I have to trying to call the consulate in the alloted 11.30 to 12.30 time but nobody picks it up.

Please advise me. Thanks