Message from USCIS Director Emilo Gonzalez about Travel for asylees and GC throuh asy

lookingforgreen

Registered Users (C)
Rules governing Travel Outside United States for Asylees and Green Card holders through asylum

The Ambassador of Colombia, Carolina Barco sent an inquiry to the Director of USCIS. This is the answer she get in Dec 6/2006.

After reading this letter and the recent FAQ is clear (at least to me), that GC holders through asylum should NOT go to COP without having very important and documented reasons.

(Sorry guys, as a human I also have loved ones living in COP, but I'll try to wait until become an US citizen.)

It doesn't say anything new. The only thing is that the letter Mrs. Barco received from the USCIS director is dated prior to when the Fact Sheet was released, so she knew it first.

lookingforgreen said:
Rules governing Travel Outside United States for Asylees and Green Card holders through asylum

The Ambassador of Colombia, Carolina Barco sent an inquiry to the Director of USCIS. This is the answer she get in Dec 6/2006.

After reading this letter and the recent FAQ is clear (at least to me), that GC holders through asylum should NOT go to COP without having very important and documented reasons.

(Sorry guys, as a human I also have loved ones living in COP, but I'll try to wait until become an US citizen.)

So is renewing your NP also seeking protection from your home country? I am so freaking confused waht to do.

now we know who caused Fact Sheet

Some stupid South American official asked this question in a very formal way, and then USCIS think this would be clearfied, and there is Fact Sheet! what a wonderful world!

To me it is because at the very least by obtaining a passport from your COP, you are availing yourself to the protection of that country for travel purposes. If you ask me, it ain't worth it!

wantmygcnow said:
So is renewing your NP also seeking protection from your home country?.

Yes this is the widely accepted interpretation of international refugee law.

Last edited by a moderator:
I respectfuly disagree. There is several facts new:
1) This is the opinion of the Head of USCIS, not a subaltern but the Chief.
2) It's a consultation coming from an Ambassador.
3) Important Phrase: Asylum status may be terminated even if the individual has already become a lawful permanent resident.
4) Important Phrase: "Return to the country of feared persecution can, in some circunstances, be considered EVIDENCE of fraud in the asylum claim"
Don Chinche said:
It doesn't say anything new. The only thing is that the letter Mrs. Barco received from the USCIS director is dated prior to when the Fact Sheet was released, so she knew it first.

thankful said:
Yes this is the widely accepted interpretation of international refugee law.

Thankful, THen if you have Rentry Permit, can you use this to travel or I need a RTD now? What if the stupid officer asks about NP as they are trained to do?

The thing is, we interact with officers at port of entry who have no clue about these fact sheets & anything else. The matter is how to make this less painful for entering/leaving country..

What do you suggest because I plan to travel on RP soon but did not know if needed a NP to renter U.S since RP is only if you were gone for more than 6 months.

wantmygcnow said:
Thankful, THen if you have Rentry Permit, can you use this to travel or I need a RTD now? What if the stupid officer asks about NP as they are trained to do?

The thing is, we interact with officers at port of entry who have no clue about these fact sheets & anything else. The matter is how to make this less painful for entering/leaving country..

What do you suggest because I plan to travel on RP soon but did not know if needed a NP to renter U.S since RP is only if you were gone for more than 6 months.

Either the RP or the RTD can be used as a passport.

I renewed my NP a few years ago, because my father was sick. But after I renewed then I realized that was not a good idea. My dad passed away and I never used or return to my COP.

I applied for RTD a few weeks ago and put the above explanation as the reason why.

I am so worry now. Any suggestions?

CPA said:
I renewed my NP a few years ago, because my father was sick. But after I renewed then I realized that was not a good idea. My dad passed away and I never used or return to my COP.

I applied for RTD a few weeks ago and put the above explanation as the reason why.

I am so worry now. Any suggestions?

The reason you offered is a heck lot stronger than the reasons many people can come up with.

Double V:

We're all hearing news we don't want to hear, but still need to know. If you want to blame someone, how about all those PR's that traveled back to their COP's, and come back here saying out loud "it's ok to do it. Nothing happened" ?? That might have raised a flag....

I'm not looking for someone to blame our frustations on. I just don't appreciate the "stupid south american" expression.. If you want, just ignore the Fact Sheet, travel wherever you want to, and assume the risk.

Looking for green,

I never said this letter was not important, or should be ignored.. But it is pretty clear that once it was written, immigration decided to publish it on their website as a Fact Sheet, and it doesn't say anything new.. That's what i meant.

Double_V said:
Some stupid South American official asked this question in a very formal way, and then USCIS think this would be clearfied, and there is Fact Sheet! what a wonderful world!

I don't think calling people stupid South Americans is going to solve your problem. If you don't want to hear the truth, just ignore it and do as you please.

From 120,000 asylees that got their GC in the last two years not even 10% are South Americans. The Colombian embassy sheared this information with us and we should be gratefull instead of blaming a stupid South American for raising the question.

Insulting is a weapon used by ignorant people who don't have valid reasons to debate a topic.

Suerte

Many people on this forum do not want to believe that "Asylum Granted" status and "Permanent Resident" status are two "different" statuses in entirety. Once you become PR, you have seperated from your asylum status just as a person who was once on H1b visa for work is no longer on H1b visa once he obtains GC thru job. Now if he had lied on his resume, then CIS just cannot come one day and say that "since you GC was based on H1b, now we are revoking your H1b status, hence your GC is null & void"..

Guys things do not work this way. We have come from regimes where people are stronger than systems (3rd world countries). Whatever a person wishes to do in power, he is free to do.... This is American Pal... systems are stronger than people.... Just one day if an I/O suspects that your asylum might have been fraud just because you have made a short trip to COP, he just cannot throw away your GC in Trash Can near and deport you...

come on guys, don't be senseless..

Laz,

I tend to agree with you on that one. When we hear horror stories on this board about USCIS treatment with a certain individual, if you really dig into it, there is always something else this individual has done which triggers the investigation/deportation. Things don't add up when people come here and tell their stories which they have heard from third parties. I have yet to find an individual on this board who got in trouble just because he visited the COP as a PR or got his U.S Citizenship denied just for that certain reason.

I believe in American Justice system and it will be really tough for someone to prove that you have commited a crime just because you visited COP after you become a PR. Two of my very close friends and college roommates (former asylees) and they both became U.S Citizens in 2002 without any problem. They both visited COP atleast twice while they were PRs. Both had their interview here in California (which might be the toughest place). No problem at all. Visiting COP wasn't even an issue for the officer. He was more concern about the 5 year period, job history, correct & complete docs etc.

Again, this is my personal opinion. Please feel free to disagree.

This is totally different kind of issue I am raising here but its worth mentioning...

I think that when an individual applies for Asylum in the US, its a big blow to this individual's dignity and self-esteem. It obviously is. You are telling a country(USa in this case) that you are unwilling to return to your country of origin because you might be executed or whatever. When you are in that state, your self-concept automatically takes a hit. That is exactly the reason why Asylees have nervous break downs to receive their Green cards... I mean what's the big deal if you have GC or on asylum status as far as your protection in this country is concerned. But we see all the time that as soon as a person is granted asylum, he is having heart-attacks about receving GC and when they get GC they have fits about getting Citizenship. They want to have sense of belonging and sense of attachment to this country and a GC or a citizenship is a tangile proof that they belong to this to this country..

Now the problem is that if you attach to that Asylee level self-concept when you receive your GC or even citizenship, you will be miserable througout your life. You will always "feel" like asylee inside although you are no longer in that status.

Therefore I have thrown out my asylum status forever, I have burned down all the documentation related to asylum in my backyard....

AND I AM NOT AN ASYLEE ANYMORE. I AM A PERMANENT RESIDENT OF USA WITH SAME RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES AS OTHER PERMENENT RESIDENTS.

And I will travel freely whereever I want to, whenever I want to, however I want to;

best wishes to all,

The fact is asylum is a very complicated & sensitive issue. U.S Immigration has been very sensitive about this issue from the beginning. Early 1990's, asylum was considered a quick way to get a legal work permit until they process your case(it took upto 6 years). Laws have changed since then making it tougher to win asylum, however, the mentality that many USCIS folks have is the same.

Asylum-based GC in the eyes of USCIS is still a touchy issue even though most of us have gone through stringent checks/balances before becoming LPRs. Many people here report about being abused or harrased by officers at POE because asylum will ALWAYS be a scarlet letter. NO matter where you go, burn any papers, how you obtained the status will always be tied to your immigration history.

Now as for people being paranoid? Can you blame them? Each one of us prayed to the god we believed in when we were to have our interviews. Yes or no? Each one of us were nervous as hell when the time came for final decision? Yes or no? The fact that winning asylum is so hard and troublesome that most of us do not want to go "fight" with the big boss USCIS. No one and I repeat no one wants to go through the hassle of USCIS headaches on you AGAIN. No matter how big of you-know-what you have, I rather not fight with USCIS IF I DON'T HAVE TO.

I totally believe in U.S Justice system, however I have so many issues in my life from Work problems to family issues to other stuff...I don't want another problem on hands with USCIS. I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO BED THINKING ABOUT USCIS. I DO NOT want to be filing anything in any courts. I do not have time or money or energy.

Consider me paranoid/chicken/girly-man or whatever you wish to call but I rather not take a fight with USCIS. NOT IF I DONT HAVE TO. I am pretty sure many think like me and many think like Lazer..that's why we are all unique.

Guys: we have two groups here; for those who renewed their national passport and visited their COP and believe that it is ok to do so, and those who did not renew their national passport and didn’t go back to their COP (there could be others), and believe that doing so is bad idea. There is, however, a third group; advice seekers. Genuine asylees with genuine issues, who want to renew their national passport and want to visit home country.

Given all the facts we have seen so far, what kind of advice should give these people? Are ganno say its safe, go ahead or should we say there could be questions?

Before I express my opinion, I would talk to those who renewed their national passport and went back their COP. There is nothing personal here. What we say here do affect you. You already did what you did and you should be proud of it. I don’t think you guys should have problem at all.

As far as advising on the issue goes, I would say it is not good idea to advise people to do it. There is a gap between practice and theory, but the law is very clear on the issue, but in most cases it is not enforced. Immigration has been the most aspect of my US life to deal with, so I don’t advise people to take the word of USCIS easy.

Any way I hope the spilt on the issue will continue, but please do not advise people on something that may put their immigration status in jeopardy

wantmygcnow said:
Asylum-based GC in the eyes of USCIS is still a touchy issue even though most of us have gone through stringent checks/balances before becoming LPRs. Many people here report about being abused or harrased by officers at POE because asylum will ALWAYS be a scarlet letter. NO matter where you go, burn any papers, how you obtained the status will always be tied to your immigration history.

Now as for people being paranoid? Can you blame them? Each one of us prayed to the god we believed in when we were to have our interviews. Yes or no? Each one of us were nervous as hell when the time came for final decision? Yes or no? The fact that winning asylum is so hard and troublesome that most of us do not want to go "fight" with the big boss USCIS. No one and I repeat no one wants to go through the hassle of USCIS headaches on you AGAIN. No matter how big of you-know-what you have, I rather not fight with USCIS IF I DON'T HAVE TO.

I totally believe in U.S Justice system, however I have so many issues in my life from Work problems to family issues to other stuff...I don't want another problem on hands with USCIS. I DO NOT WANT TO GO TO BED THINKING ABOUT USCIS. I DO NOT want to be filing anything in any courts. I do not have time or money or energy.

Consider me paranoid/chicken/girly-man or whatever you wish to call but I rather not take a fight with USCIS. NOT IF I DONT HAVE TO. I am pretty sure many think like me and many think like Lazer..that's why we are all unique.

Want! I never suggested that you go out and take a fight with USCIS. This would be foolishness in its own sense. And where you came up with this "Big Boss" theory... who told you they are your "bosses" in any sense of the matter? USCIS is just a government agency who follow rules of US law. And you don't have to be scared if you have done nothing wrong.

Quiet frankly (and I am not boasting here) I was not nervous or worried when I applied for asylum. I was an educated guy who would be warmly welcomed by other countries. Therefore neither was I nervous the day I got my asylum nor I am nervous today. And I don't think that I would ever be nervous again UNTIL I do something wrong.