Medicare for immigrant parents

suran78

Registered Users (C)
Greetings,

I want to sponsor my parents for green card and make them US citizens. My questions:
1. They live in India, so what would be the correct process to file for Permanent residense outside US?
2. They have multiple entry visa for 10 yrs in US, so will it be easier and faster to apply for permanent residence when when they are visiting me in US next time?
3. When they become US citizens, will they get medicare/health care benefits? They have never worked in US and don't intend to as they are quite old.

Please provide guidance or suggestions.

Thanks.

1. They live in India, so what would be the correct process to file for Permanent residense outside US?
you file I 130, followed by consular processing.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=5d893e4d77d73210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD
2. They have multiple entry visa for 10 yrs in US, so will it be easier and faster to apply for permanent residence when when they are visiting me in US next time?
Technically, that is illegal, though people do it. (10 yrs tourist visa is non-immigrant and if you file for immigrant visa while using non-immigrant visa, it is a problem)
3. When they become US citizens, will they get medicare/health care benefits? They have never worked in US and don't intend to as they are quite old.
you have to work for 40 quarters or 10 years to qualify for medicare, so answer is no. you will be filling I 864, so till they become USC, you will have to provide health insurance to them. Different states have different schemes. I am also looking for health insurance for my parents and will appreciate all help in this matter

As I understand if you are a citizen (not permanent resident) you can get the medicare after you are of certain age (I think 65). On the other hand if you are PR then you need those 40 credits.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Actually it is not illegal, the act itself. However if USCIS wants to, they can go after any B-2 based AOS applicant and accuse them of fraud/misrepresentation.

Technically, that is illegal, though people do it. (10 yrs tourist visa is non-immigrant and if you file for immigrant visa while using non-immigrant visa, it is a problem)

As I understand if you are a citizen (not permanent resident) you can get the medicare after you are of certain age (I think 65). On the other hand if you are PR then you need those 40 credits. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That's not correct. As a citizen you can buy into Medicare if you do not have the 40 quarters, but you don't get something for nothing.