marriage or not?

ledona_19

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys-

I am a green card holder thru asylum, and I would like to know if marring my boyfriend is going to help him with his legal papers. Currently, he has a tourist visa. Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

ledona_19 said:
Hi guys-

I am a green card holder thru asylum, and I would like to know if marring my boyfriend is going to help him with his legal papers. Currently, he has a tourist visa. Any advice would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!
Hi Ledona,

You can marry him and apply a petition for him, but it takes a long time (5 years or more) and he will have to be in status while he waits for his process to be finished. He can't stay here just because he married you. When did you get approved? Can you become a citizen now? If you become a citizen, the process is faster.

Good luck

I am going to be citizen in 3 years. Do you think is better for him to apply for a work visa? I think the company for which he works right now is going to sponsor him. Any advice is going to be appreciated, since we don't want to go separate ways. He is very qualified in his field, and I want him to benefit from every opportunity that he is given.

ledona_19 said:
I am going to be citizen in 3 years. Do you think is better for him to apply for a work visa? I think the company for which he works right now is going to sponsor him. Any advice is going to be appreciated, since we don't want to go separate ways. He is very qualified in his field, and I want him to benefit from every opportunity that he is given.
The best thing to do is for him to apply for work visa through his employer until he can get it through you. You can get married now and then file the petition for him now. But he needs the work visa to stay in status. If you become a citizen before a visa is available through your petition, then you can always "upgrade" his case and he can get it faster. Good luck!

Thanks! I appreciate your advice! Somehow, I knew that marriage is not the best solution for his papers. We are going to get married anyhow, so we are going to see what we can do for his status. We need to find the best solution.

ledona_19 said:
Thanks! I appreciate your advice! Somehow, I knew that marriage is not the best solution for his papers. We are going to get married anyhow, so we are going to see what we can do for his status. We need to find the best solution.

Get married & file for I-130...Hopefully this summer, congress passes the Immigration overhaul bill which would grant your husband the authority to work/live in U.S(known as V Visa) until a GC visa is available. The requirement for the bill that enables V Visa is that you have I-130 pending for at least 1 year

ledona_19 said:
That would be great, but we can't "play" based on assumptions.

What other choice you have? Even if his company sponsors him, you can file for him...You can file as many petitions for US GC but only one gets approved..

ledona_19 said:
Ledona,

If you want to marry your boyfriend for real (because you love him etc...) Go ahead and do it and file the petition for him. Time flies so fast that the 4-5 years it takes to get approved will pass by fast. And like wantmygcnow said the rules might change and he might be eligible to stay here while he wait for the process to finish.

If you are marrying him just to help him out with his GC, doing it through his employer is the best and safer solution to his problem, especially since you said he has the opportunity to do so.

Anyway, it's up to you so think wisely and decide what you want to do.

Good luck!

I wouldn't marry him if it wasn't for love. It's true, by marring him, it's going to help him with his papers, but that is not the reason I want to marry him. I'm just trying to find the best solution for both of us. I didn't know you can file more than one petition with USCIS. I appreciate your suggestions, but I'm so desperate to find a solution that I don't know which way to turn.

wantmygcnow said:
Get married & file for I-130...Hopefully this summer, congress passes the Immigration overhaul bill which would grant your husband the authority to work/live in U.S(known as V Visa) until a GC visa is available. The requirement for the bill that enables V Visa is that you have I-130 pending for at least 1 year

Want,
Do you have the link for this matter so I can follow-up on it by myself from there.
Greatly appreciated.

wantmygcnow said:
Could you please post any link to the version of the bill that includes V Visa proposal, if it's availbale anywhere online? Thanks a lot.

Nimche said:
Want,
Do you have the link for this matter so I can follow-up on it by myself from there.
Greatly appreciated.

Nimche,

Hagel-Martinez bill that was introduced made LPR spouses/kids an unlimited category visa(just like USC) but Kennedy came and took that out and added more visas to it(backlog would've been cut to 2 years).

With the new congress, I am assuming new bills will be discussed. V visa was disccused as an ammendment and it was titled HR 1823. Here is the link

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h109-1823

wantmygcnow said:
Nimche,

Hagel-Martinez bill that was introduced made LPR spouses/kids an unlimited category visa(just like USC) but Kennedy came and took that out and added more visas to it(backlog would've been cut to 2 years).

With the new congress, I am assuming new bills will be discussed. V visa was disccused as an ammendment and it was titled HR 1823. Here is the link

Cool,
Thanks Want.
No other comments.

ledona_19 said:

You have have to keep as many options open as possible. Go ahead and file the I-130 upon your marriage to benefit fullly from possible changes in the law in the coming year.

And the immediate solution to his problem is an H1B visa which his company can apply for him if he has the qualifications. You guys should act before he becomes illegal.

wantmygcnow said:
Nimche,

Most "experts" think that something will pass this year.