Mandatory Elections in my former country

Galto2000

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

I became a US citizen a little over a month ago. My former country recognizes dual citizenship status, so I assume they still regard me as a subject. Participating in elections in my former country is mandatory (punishable by jail time if one does not participate) and it just so happens that elections are going to happen in a month from now.

My worry is the following: when I took the oath, I denounced loyalty to my former country, so if I cast my vote in the elections of my former country, is this a "disloyal" act to the USA?

It's not that I politically care much about my former country - in fact, I have no clue what the current political situation is, but the issue is that all my relatives still lives in my former country, and I visit them about once a year and if I wilfully decide not to participate in the elections, there is a good chance that I get arrested when I visit my former country during my next visit.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks

G

Hello all,

I became a US citizen a little over a month ago. My former country recognizes dual citizenship status, so I assume they still regard me as a subject. There is a good chance that I get arrested when I visit my former country during my next visit.
Why don’t you renounce your former country citizenship? Then you will be foreign and they couldn’t arrest you for not going to vote.

Why don’t you renounce your former country citizenship? Then you will be foreign and they couldn’t arrest you for not going to vote.

Some countries does not recognize your renouncing their citizenship.

Which country is it? I don't think there is any country which treats it's citizens as bonded.

I heard it is very hard to renounce British citizenship. I also heard a citizen of Morocco say his country does not acknowledge that either.