Mailed form I-751 what next?

mike44

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I got married to US citizen in Sept2007, received my temporary GC in Mar2009. Got divorced in November 2010. Reason/basis for a divorce - adultery on her side.

I have mailed form I-751 with the rest of paperwork (including a divorce Verified Complaint/Judgment and Decree) in February 2011. Received I-751 RECEIPT NOTICE (conditional status extended for 1 year) last week. Now waiting for Apointment for fingerprints.

I have never had any problem with law, no tickets, no violations etc. Entered US in 2003 on F1 status, staid F1 and legal until marriage.

How long does the process of removal of conditional GC usually last?
On what basis do the immigration officers make decision weather I will be aproved or denied for removal of a status?
What kind of a problem can I have since I am not married to US citizen anymore?

Thank you very much
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the evidence your submitted, USCIS may or may not require an interview. It is on a case-by-case basis.

Your case does not sound complicated.

Too bad things did not work out.

You have to prove that you did not entered the marriage to evade immigration laws of the United States to win a waiver.
Let's hope that your ex did not send any letters or made some phone calls claiming otherwise.
Go in with very strong evidence as they are more likely to trust a US Citizen, Goodluck !

A copies of joint:

1. bank account,
2. phone bill,
3. car insurance policy,
4. gas bill,
5. water and sewer bill,
6. electric bill,
7. Health insurance cards and policy,
8. Time Warner Bill,
9. Veterinary Clinic Bill,
10. Tax Return Forms...and
11. Affidavits sworn to by two people
should be sufficiand enough as a proof that marriage was bona fide, I guess!?

She would not call/mail any letter claiming that I was trying to evade immigration laws of the United States because:
1. not that kind of a person,
2. that could get her in toruble as well.

Thanks for the help.
Mike

Thank you waynever. In case I do get called for an interview, will I have to show up by myself or my ex wife have to come along? Just a thought.
mike

Alone. The only reason you will be called for an interview is because you got divorced. They do not expect your ex-spouse to be there :)

Thank you waynever. In case I do get called for an interview, will I have to show up by myself or my ex wife have to come along? Just a thought.
mike

Thank you very much Triple, it is nice when people use this site for its purpose - to help others. I have one more question:

I tried to check the status of my I-751 form on USCIS website and when I enter my receipt number I get the answer "Your case can not be found at this time in My Case Status..."
I have received receipt notice on Saturday March 6th 2011. How many days (if any) does it takes for the receipt number to "get in the system"?

Thank you very much.

I-751s, for some odd reason, have always been entered into a different system by USCIS. It will never appear in the online system you are checking against. It never did for my I-751 in 2005.

I tried to check the status of my I-751 form on USCIS website and when I enter my receipt number I get the answer "Your case can not be found at this time in My Case Status..."

Triple, thank you!

I have a few more questions.

1. How long after the recipt notice should I expect Apointment for fingerprints to arrive?
2. What is the next step after that?
3. How long after (if) I receive my permanent GC can I expect to become US citizen? How long does that process last (reminder - I got divorced from US citizen)?

Thank you everyone for yout help.
Mike

I tried to check the status of my I-751 form on USCIS website and when I enter my receipt number I get the answer "Your case can not be found at this time in My Case Status. I have received receipt notice on Saturday March 6th 2011. How many days (if any) does it takes for the receipt number to "get in the system"

I tried to check the status of my I-751 form on USCIS website and when I enter my receipt number I get the answer "Your case can not be found at this time in My Case Status. I have received receipt notice on Saturday March 6th 2011. How many days (if any) does it takes for the receipt number to "get in the system"

The I-751 is tracked in a computer system that cannot interface with the case status system. You can only track the different receipt number from the Fingerprint Notice and that won't tell you much either. IF you have a strong case "based on the paperwork filed" and there is no particular reason to suspect fraud, the interview could be waived.