Lost passport on F-1 visa, need advice!

gsdsouza

Hi,

I lost my Indian passport as an F-1 student yesterday. I have filed a police complaint today and will next contact the embassy to issue a new passport. Here are my following worries that I would love to get answered from Rajiv.

1. I came in the fall and I am currently enrolled in my second semester. I will be interning in the summer and would need to apply for a CPT. How would my new passport affect my application and what can I do to ensure I don't miss out on my CPT?
2. I have to go to India to re issue my visa at some point. I understand that I don't have to do it and I'm legal till my I-94 states so(I could not find this date mentioned anywhere in my I-94). But I would like to know what your recommendation would be as to a good time to go back to India. I could go during the upcoming mid term spring break in march. Or I could also go after my summer internship (and return back a week or so after the start of my fall semester), or I could go during my winter break in December. Ideally I would like to go in December, but my worry is that I will only have one course left to complete my degree and if that would be a cause to reject my visa application (I don't know if there is any sense to this but wanted your advice on it).

Thanks for all the help you provide.

1. It should have no effect. Your I-94 and I-20 should be sufficient
2. People on F1 are admitted for "D/S", not a date. That means you remain in status indefinitely with no time limit, as long as you continue to comply with the requirements of F1 status. I don't understand why you say you have to go to India at some point. You remain in F1 status indefinitely, so you don't have to leave the US until you are done with F1 (unless there are some personal reasons why you have to go to India).

1. It should have no effect. Your I-94 and I-20 should be sufficient
2. People on F1 are admitted for "D/S", not a date. That means you remain in status indefinitely with no time limit, as long as you continue to comply with the requirements of F1 status. I don't understand why you say you have to go to India at some point. You remain in F1 status indefinitely, so you don't have to leave the US until you are done with F1 (unless there are some personal reasons why you have to go to India).
Yes I would want to go to India before I graduate, and that would mean I need to issue a new visa. Therefore, would it be safe for me to go to India in December with just one course left for me to graduate

Yes I would want to go to India before I graduate, and that would mean I need to issue a new visa. Therefore, would it be safe for me to go to India in December with just one course left for me to graduate
You can go whenever you want after you get an Indian passport or travel document from Indian embassy. To return back you need a US visa that is up to US embassy either to approve it or not.

Thank you, so if I go in December I would want to come back as I'll still have one course left to complete my degree. But I am afraid that my visa could get rejected at that time as I will have only one semester of classes left. So would my chances be higher of getting re approved if I go this summer instead

Thank you, so if I go in December I would want to come back as I'll still have one course left to complete my degree. But I am afraid that my visa could get rejected at that time as I will have only one semester of classes left. So would my chances be higher of getting re approved if I go this summer instead
It completely depends upon visa officer and your justification that why he/she have to issue a visa to you.

If you’re on same sevis and same university which your initial visa is approved you may be eligible for drop box. Check with your DSO or embassy.