Lost GC 3 days before interview.

aCookieMonster

Registered Users (C)
Hi Guys,

What would be your advice? I lost my wallet with my greencard in it...Luckly my state photo ID wasn't in it... Any advices?

Thanks a lot

Hi Guys,

What would be your advice? I lost my wallet with my greencard in it...Luckly my state photo ID wasn't in it... Any advices?

Thanks a lot

(1) Apply for a replacement
(2) Get a police report about the loss
(3) Go to interview and explain you lost the GC.

Why do you carry your green card anyway?

No, they should accept the police report without a problem, provided that you have other ID, of course. And don't bother to file I-90 if your card expiration date is more than 6 months away.

They say you must have it at all times. It's the law... :( So I did it...and puff!! Gone

That law was for people who immigrated before the invention of the interet and Nigerian crooks...:eek: When last did anyone asked to see a greencard as a proof legal status? I need the date and location and official seeking such informaiton. Common sense is usually the best predictor of what is lawful and crap which US Congress authorize govt agencies to do.

A police report and no need to file for a replacement card, save the money and buy hot soup from the soup nazi on the corner there...:)

When last did anyone asked to see a greencard as a proof legal status? I need the date and location and official seeking such informaiton.

Some don't bother getting social security card updated when they get GC, so an employer can ask to see GC if SS card says "not valid for employment except with required authorization".
A police report and no need to file for a replacement card, save the money and buy hot soup from the soup nazi on the corner there...:)
A police report for a lost wallet? I could see for a stolen wallet, but for a lost wallet?

Some don't bother getting social security card updated when they get GC, so an employer can ask to see GC if SS card says "not valid for employment except with required authorization".

Interesting..I didnt know we need to get SS card updated after getting GC. Questions..
1. How to do that? On SSA website?
2. Will that change my ssn number (hopefully not)
3. I am in midst of my USC process, is it advised to get SS card in the interim? or should rather wait?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting..I didnt know we need to get SS card updated after getting GC. Questions..
3. I am in midst of my USC process, is it advised to get SS card in the interim? or should rather wait?

You don't need to get it updated. It's your choice if you want to get the "not valid for employment" removed from your SSA card. Otherwise the employer will need to see your GC as well.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10002.html#immigration

"If your immigration status changed or you became a U.S. citizen, you should tell Social Security so your records can be updated"

Visit the SSA office. Fill the form and you will get the new SS card with the same number within 2 to 3 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
A police report for a lost wallet? I could see for a stolen wallet, but for a lost wallet?
Yes, even a lost wallet should be reported to the police. This is because:

1. The person who finds the wallet can use cards in it like DL, green card, SS card, and credit/debit cards to commit crimes. If the police are aware of the lost wallet and the documents in it, that makes it more likely the criminal will be caught and/or convicted, and less likely you will be blamed for their misdeeds.

2. Some people give lost wallets to the police. That may enable you to recover the wallet from the police.

3. The police report gives you more credibility when you tell USCIS the green card was lost. There are penalties (including jail time) for filing a false police report, so although the police report is not 100% proof of anything, they are more likely to believe the police report than a simple verbal statement from you.

However, if the wallet only has a small amount of money, and had no identifying cards in it, it would be a waste of your time and the police's time to report it being lost.

1. The person who finds the wallet can use cards in it like DL, green card, SS card, and credit/debit cards to commit crimes. If the police are aware of the lost wallet and the documents in it, that makes it more likely the criminal will be caught and/or convicted, and less likely you will be blamed for their misdeeds.

2. Some people give lost wallets to the police. That may enable you to recover the wallet from the police.

3. The police report gives you more credibility when you tell USCIS the green card was lost. There are penalties (including jail time) for filing a false police report, so although the police report is not 100% proof of anything, they are more likely to believe the police report than a simple verbal statement from you.

However, if the wallet only has a small amount of money, and had no identifying cards in it, it would be a waste of your time and the police's time to report it being lost.

Makes sense..I never thought of letting police know of a lost wallet. I was thinking more in the lines of letting credit bureaus know since that is where the most damage can be made for someone using your identity.

Given the valuable contents of the wallet Bob, reporting it lost would be a smart thing.

If someone handed it in they know who to contact.

If they detain someone and they have the wallet they know who to contact.

As I was leaving my interview, the IO said, "if you lose your GC or it is stolen, bring along the Police report to the Oath Ceremony"

Makes sense..I never thought of letting police know of a lost wallet. I was thinking more in the lines of letting credit bureaus know since that is where the most damage can be made for someone using your identity.

Bob,

Thanks for coming along through this journey of identity theft...;). If you lose your wallet, there is no telling who picked it up, and racking up shopping ony our cards, so the police report will innoculate you against unauthorized uses. Have you ever stopped at a gas station and someone asked you for cash in exchange for them use their credit card because they are strapped for cash? :confused: I came across someone who tried this scam on me couple of years ago, because I sort of knew the credit card they were using was stolen. I use my credit card for gas, rarely use cash. In most gas station, when you use a credit card, they also ask for 5 digit zip code, but if they have your drivers license, then they are set to cash in your lost wallet.

I think this law of carrying green card in your wallet is outdated. If you need to carry it to SSA office, DMV or Bank, then I am understand they need proof of legal residency, but with you all the time is a stinker...:D

What about crooks from Crawford? :)

I am still lobbying my US Senators to pass a law to nab the crooks from Crawford...:) I have to admit, I miss Bushism a great deal...

This is a classic from the 2004 Campaign, long live G. W. Bush

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." —George W. Bush, Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/bushvideos/youtube/bush-obgyns.htm

Which police should we report to? The police in the area the wallet is lost
or the police where we live? What if we do not know where we lost wallet?
We just coem home and then realize wallet is missing

Which police should we report to? The police in the area the wallet is lost
or the police where we live? What if we do not know where we lost wallet?
We just coem home and then realize wallet is missing

Ideally where you lost the wallet. If you do not know, home police will do. I had a loss once (not a wallet, but a laptop worth 1500), all they did was file a report, and I had to go get a copy 2 weeks later. They are not doing much (unless major loss), and are not going to seriously scrutinize whether you lost this in zipcode A or zipcode B. Note that this is not an advice to lie - if you know you lost it 2 states away - I think that's where you should report it.