Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

Ya! My wife became a USC yesterday!!

This was at the LA Convention Center...not much traffic going there in the morning (SURPRISED), so we got there a little after 7:00! Plenty of parking and was $12 per car.

Remember that the "GUESTS" enter a different door than the "Citizenship"...this is how the banners appeared, EVERYONE is in the same room, but the sections were sealed off with warning or 'police line' tapes or some sort. The ceremony started around 8:00....

It was pretty cool...all the USCs walked out of the building and guests were all looking for their USC friends/relatives like at the airport...haha...

Glad it's all over and thanks to everyone who's contributed to this forum and GOOD LUCK to the rest of ya! =)

No Oath letter yet

Finished my interview on the 15th of March and recommended for approval. No oath letter yet. Anyone interviewed around that time still waiting for oath letter?

Yeay! Got my oath letter for the 29th...

Application mailed : 12/12/2009 (Phoenix lockbox)
Application Arrived at USCIS: 12/14/2009 (As per USPS)
Check Cashed: 12/18/2009
NOA: 12/21/2009
PD: 12/17/2009
LUD : 12/19/2009
LUD : 12/29/2009 (update- RFE mailed on Dec 24th)
FP Notice received: 12/31/2009
FP Done : 01/05/2010 (Early walk-in)
FP Scheduled date : 1/13/2010
Yellow Letter date : 01/29/2010
LUD : 02/03/2010 (Case transferred to Local office for scheduling a interview)
IL: 02/05/2010
ID: 03/15/2010 - PASSED
OL: 04/08/2010
OD: 04/29/2010

Congrats to all of you becoming USC...

I am still waiting for my fate...patiently...

Have not heard or received anything since 3/18,
the day that they received my additional documents.

-_-

Los Angeles N-400
Name Change requested with application.

Timeline:
11/17/2009: Mailed out.
11/19/2009: Application received.
11/24/2009: Priority Date & Notice Date.
11/25/2009: Check cleared.
11/27/2009: NOA received.
12/11/2009: FP Notice received.
12/21/2009: FP Done, Appointment.
01/15/2010: Interview letter received.
03/04/2010: Interview Date.
03/04/2010: Passed but no approval. Need to submit additional documents.
03/17/2010: Mailed out using USPS Overnight.
03/18/2010: USPS Overnight mail delivered. Delivery confirmed.
***Now waiting***

Good luck you guys...I'm rootin for ya'll too! =)

ardaviraf-- Congrats on getting your letter!

jwong-- have you checked your status on the website?...is it possible to contact them by phone? I would probably try pretty hard to contact them via phone call if you're not able to find info on the website...You'll be alright! Please keep us posted=)

The website is useless. It stays at "Interview" forever.

They received my documents on 3/18/10, and the due date
was 4/5/10.

So when do you think the officer would actually work on my
case ? Would it be 3/19 ? or 4/5 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got done with my interview in Los Angeles today (Los Angeles Street). I had applied around Jan 12th. The entire process was a pleasure.

Attire

I didn't want to go overdressed and at the same time I didn't want to be too casual so needless to say there was some fretting about what to wear. After all, you do want to show some respect to the officer and more importantly to the significance of the process. In the end I wore dockers, a buttoned down shirt and an evening jacket. It ended up being I was the most formally dressed in the room other than the attorneys that all wear full suits but at minimum most people was wearing a some kind of a collared shirt something you might wear to a evening outing to a semi-decent restaurant.

I was concerned about having to drive around down-town

Not a problem. The Federal building is literally right off the free-way. No having to drive-around down-town with unfamiliar signs and pedestrians, one way. You take the exit (Los Angeles Str), and literally 400ft from the exit is the parking structure

I was concerned about parking

There is parking right opposite the Federal building. Watch for the Public Parking Sign on the RHS of the road as soon as you take the exit. Its around 13 bucks for the day, well worth the money. The parking is underground, you come up the elevator, on the mezannine floor of the mall you have all kinds of eateries, walk up a flight of stairs and you are 10 steps from the entry to the Federal building. Very cool... so convenient.

Can I take large bags, phones with cameras into the building

Yes. I had a knapsack full of documents (none of which were checked at the interview) and I was able to take it into the building, no problem, not even a second look from the guards. Ofcouse everything is X-Rayed and you do go through a metal detector, which is great. No more stressing about what docs to take and what not to take just because you are trying to make your document packet as small as possible thinking you have to carry it in without a bag. None of that.. If you are an anal documented collector like me.. you can take everything you want.

No one cares about speeding tickets

I had not mentioned the one on my app, but the officer specifically ask me "any speed tickets" to which I truthfully said yes, "one, dismissed through traffic school". IO: How much was the ticket. Me: Less than 250.. Thats it, moved on, no more questions. Sigh!. I dont know how many nights of sleep I must have lost fretting about speeding tickets. In retrospect I should have mentioned them on the form MOST IMPORTANTLY mentioned how much it was and save MYSELF all the grief. And keyword is "MYSELF". Because at the end of the day, the outcome is still the same whether or not you mention it.

No documents asked for

Literally all the IO looked at was what was mentioned in my letter - which was the GC, my passport and my DL of which she took a photocopy. Thats it.

Important questions

The IO asked me two questions which caused me to think a bit and was pretty embarassing.

1. Why do you want to become a citizen? This is after all quite an important questiona nd I am sure everyone has their own answers. But you need to have those answers at the tip of your tongue
2. How old are you ? I space out on this one :) LOL Everyone remembers when they were born, but age ?

Misc

The civics questions were a walk in the park, but then again I had studied real hard. If needed be I was prepared to tell them every choice to every multiple choice question for all 100 questions. The reading and writing section is probably not even worth mentioning. You get the sense that the IO is half-way embarassed asking you such simple sentences but they have to do their job. Other than that, it was pretty uneventful.

It sucks that in LA there is no hope of taking the oath the same day unlike other offices in other parts of the country. Oh well, more waiting.

There were a surprisingly large number of people which had their immigration attorneys present. I guess they had complicated cases that warranted such.

The IOs were all business, not rude or stand-offish, but certainly no smiling or warmth of any kind. That would have been nice to put the applicants at ease.

The guard in the interview room upstairs would not let me in until 1 hour before the scheduled interview time. So you if get there too early (which is probably wise given the traffic going into downtown LA), you may have to sit downstairs in the lobby area since they allow you into the building whenever you want but you just can't get into the interview room. To kill time you can probably go across the road and get a coffee in the food court area.

Also, at least in my case there was only a 15 minute delay between the scheduled interview time and the actual time they called me in. Which I think is pretty good.

Did anyone apply the passport at the Federal building on Whilshire Blvd? I am planning to travel abroad in about 4 weeks and I have to obtain a visa. According to the State Department website, I can make an appointment if I travel within 4 weeks and need a visa. I did not purchase my ticket yet. Do I have show the officer the air ticket when I apply the passport there? Thanks for advice.

I would be doing that too

Leung,
My oath ceremony is on the 29th. I have some upcoming travel as well after that. I have looked into the website and seems a straight forward process. Do let me know how yours works out so I can be ready for the same.
Thanks
Ardaviraf

Did anyone apply the passport at the Federal building on Whilshire Blvd? I am planning to travel abroad in about 4 weeks and I have to obtain a visa. According to the State Department website, I can make an appointment if I travel within 4 weeks and need a visa. I did not purchase my ticket yet. Do I have show the officer the air ticket when I apply the passport there? Thanks for advice.

INFOPASS experience, anyone ?

Hi guys,

Have you ever scheduled and attended an INFOPASS appointment ?

I scheduled one and it tells me to go to room 1001, was that where
you went ? On the first floor ?

If not, where was your room ?

Anyone taking Oath on April 29 or May 18th?
Jwong how was your encounter in room 1001? Leung are you scheduled?

I called the national 1-800 number and was told to wait 90 days
after the interview date to inquire my status.

So I cancelled the INFOPASS.

I will trust the system and patiently wait.

Just got my N-445 Oath Letter today, 25th April. My interview was on the 14th April. The letter is actually dated 20th April. So it just took them 6 calendar to make a decision, and then another six for the mail system (their internal enveloping etc) and USPS to get it to me.

Oath is on the 18th May.

I got passport and passport card on friday .
time to leave this tread.
to all the best and thanks to everyone!!!
toneto.:)

Hi AlexLee.,

I took my oath on April 16th at Quiet Canyon Country Club, wonderful experience. There were around 900 people taking oath along with me and the whole ceremony took about one and half hour (from waitting to get in to get the certificate on the way out). Good luck for everyone taking oath on April 29th.