Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

Case Review - Yellow letter received

Asking to bring certified copies of birth certificates of us born minor children for the interview.

Asking to bring certified copies of birth certificates of us born minor children for the interview.

I got yellow papers asking to bring:

birth certificate
last 5 years tax returns (via tax transcripts)

At the interview, the IO didn't even ask for them even though I had them ready. BUT I would have them ready.

Yellow Letter : Birth Certificate

The yellow letter states to bring certified birth certificates. I just have the originals. Is that sufficient? Also do they take the certified copies(originals) or return it back?

Congrats. How long did it take for them to issue you a passport?
i applied through expedict service on 2.28, supposely should arrive within 2 weeks...but...did not happen...i called customer service telling them that i need to have it ASAP, my trip is next week...so made an appointment with passport agency on 03.12. went there with airline ticket, then picked up certificate and passport yesterday (03.16)
if you dont need passport in a hurry, regular takes up to 4 weeks nowadays, used to be faster, but more people are applying that nowadays because of the economy here....

The yellow letter states to bring certified birth certificates. I just have the originals. Is that sufficient? Also do they take the certified copies(originals) or return it back?
you dont need to bring that @ all, just bring your original passport or anything can prove your origins. Anyway it also depends on which IO you have...i had a super nice one who chatted with me for 30 mins

i applied through expedict service on 2.28, supposely should arrive within 2 weeks...but...did not happen...i called customer service telling them that i need to have it ASAP, my trip is next week...so made an appointment with passport agency on 03.12. went there with airline ticket, then picked up certificate and passport yesterday (03.16)
if you dont need passport in a hurry, regular takes up to 4 weeks nowadays, used to be faster, but more people are applying that nowadays because of the economy here....

That's what I'm gonna do if it doesn't arrive on time as I have a trip on April 8th. Would you mind telling me what you gave them as proof at the Passport Agency? The guy I spoke to on the phone yesterday from the State Dep. said that my application number and identification is enough. Thanks again.

That's what I'm gonna do if it doesn't arrive on time as I have a trip on April 8th. Would you mind telling me what you gave them as proof at the Passport Agency? The guy I spoke to on the phone yesterday from the State Dep. said that my application number and identification is enough. Thanks again.

this is the whole story:
I applied on feb.28, by march 10th i still could not track my case online, which got on my nerves. I called customer service, rep asked me when my trip was. i said March 24. She said to me: Dont believe what post office clerks said to you, because right now it will take up to 3 weeks for the expedite service. Then she recommended me to make an appointment with passport agency through automated service. just wait till the end of March, if you don't receive it, make an appointment and make sure you get the confirmation number, because they will check it at the passport agency, get the earliest appointment, because you will have to wait there. When you called customer service, did they tell you whether your case is in the system already or not? If it is, then will make your life much easier. You just show up at your appointment with your ID, confirmation number(appointment), your airline ticket(make sure you bring that), and the receipt from the post office. (i think you might have to pay extra because you applied via regular routine, i did not pay any extra, because of the expedite service fee). The agency people will tell you when to pick up your passport. (in person), you can ask someone else to pick it up for u, as long you sign the paper, and they will return the certificate along with your us passport when you pick them up. let me know if you have more questions:D
PS: The reason why you must bring your travel proof is: Agency will tell you just to wait if you can not prove that you need the passport ASAP for travel purpose

Last edited by a moderator:

I only had an original with an attached translation, not certified/stamped in any way. I can't say if this would have been sufficient since my IO did not even ask to see it.

I only had an original with an attached translation, not certified/stamped in any way. I can't say if this would have been sufficient since my IO did not even ask to see it.

Thanks everyone. I missed the part where it states birth certificate of US born minor children and not for me.

this is the whole story:
I applied on feb.28, by march 10th i still could not track my case online, which got on my nerves. I called customer service, rep asked me when my trip was. i said March 24. She said to me: Dont believe what post office clerks said to you, because right now it will take up to 3 weeks for the expedite service. Then she recommended me to make an appointment with passport agency through automated service. just wait till the end of March, if you don't receive it, make an appointment and make sure you get the confirmation number, because they will check it at the passport agency, get the earliest appointment, because you will have to wait there. When you called customer service, did they tell you whether your case is in the system already or not? If it is, then will make your life much easier. You just show up at your appointment with your ID, confirmation number(appointment), your airline ticket(make sure you bring that), and the receipt from the post office. (i think you might have to pay extra because you applied via regular routine, i did not pay any extra, because of the expedite service fee). The agency people will tell you when to pick up your passport. (in person), you can ask someone else to pick it up for u, as long you sign the paper, and they will return the certificate along with your us passport when you pick them up. let me know if you have more questions:D
PS: The reason why you must bring your travel proof is: Agency will tell you just to wait if you can not prove that you need the passport ASAP for travel purpose

OK, thank you for your detailed explanation. My application has made it in their system, as the clerk told me it was "processing." He gave me my application number too, said you will need this if you go to the Passport Agency. I'm waiting until April 25th, and then I'm gonna go to the agency.

Thanks again.

hi everybody.
I received my oath letter couple weeks ago and becoming usa citizen nextweek.Here is my question?my mum come to USA on her tourist visa and we requested an extension.Now her process is still pending with USCIS.once i become US Citizen can i still petition for her while her case is still pending or should we withdraw the application? Any comment will be appreciated. Thanks good luck to everyone.

Passport case status online

I know any online status is probably worthless with the passport as it is with the n-400 application, but has anyone checked their status for the passport and is it accurate?

I applied for passport on 2/26, when I enter my credentials online the system cannot find my app.

The online passport status is just as unreliable. I sent my passport application in received it within 10 days. The online status checker until this day shows not found.

The online passport status is just as unreliable. I sent my passport application in received it within 10 days. The online status checker until this day shows not found.

Wow, 10 days? That sounds unprecedented unless it was expedited in some manner.

I know any online status is probably worthless with the passport as it is with the n-400 application, but has anyone checked their status for the passport and is it accurate?

I applied for passport on 2/26, when I enter my credentials online the system cannot find my app.

I applied 2/27, and am also still waiting. The online system cannot find my details either..... When I applied, I was told it should take about four weeks - thats up this Friday. I am hopeful of receiving it soon.

Attended the oath ceremory on 3/25/08. Reached early. Waited in the queue for more than an hour before they let us in. I would advise on reaching early though so that you get a parking space and can get out early as well. Yet to apply for the PP. Good luckto all who are waiting.

Last edited by a moderator: