Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

I have scheduled an appointment at the passport authority on Friday. Did anyone of you did that? Can I book a ticket online and show it to them? Or do they need something in more detail?

I am very happy to finally receive my new US passport book today (Applied 01/29/09 regular processing. Total of 27 days.) It's very nice. My wait continues for my passport card and naturalization certificate.

I was curious as to the usefulness of the Department of State's "Checking the Status of your Passport Application Online." I've been checking regularly every couple of days and then again this morning after receiving my passport book. My status never appeared and that my application was not found in their system. I made a couple of phone calls in the previous two weeks and spoke to live operators. Besides telling you that they received your passport application and it is in process, they just verify the information on your application and tell you that it takes 3-4 weeks for regular passport processing. I told the operator about the problem with the online case status and she said that it does not really work.

So if you want to check the status of your passport application, better call the National Passport Information Center. Do not bother with the online case status. Sounds familiar?

Last edited by a moderator:
My case is with Supervisor approval since Feb 16. I think they get cases in batches for approval , and i dont know how long they take for approval. I am expecting March 25 Oath ceremony. Lets see

Joe

So I am here at the LA convention center waiting...1000's of people...not citizen yet...they only asked for GC and oath letter...waiting in excitement! Thought post through my phone :)

Hi Feliz-LA

same case here, I got denied on my first N400 application last 2006 due to my lack of 23 days physically present in the US.
This is my second application now hopefully it will be approve
Application Date - 01/12/2009
FP received - 01/30/2009
FP date - 02/10/2009
IL - waiting
ID - waiting
OL - waiting
OD - waiting

I am so dependent on the uscis website, and I found out there that the processing time for N400 applicants in LA will take about 1 year from now, it says there that they are now processing case dated February 2008.
Can anyone help me how to interpret their processing time? Are they referring to the date they received the application or the date they scheduled the interview?

Im a little bit worried that my application might take years to process
Feliz-LA, where did you get the estimated actual timelines? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I've read a lot of cases here that their application was sent somewhere in August-October 2008 but they have been scheduled for an interview and some are scheduled for an oath taking already. These experiences are so inspiring. We hope to have the same timeline as yours. :)

Horray finished ceremonies, received certificate, and updated my SSN today. I am still trying to figure out whether i need to make an appointment with passport agency since i will be traveling around March 15-20th, well i have not booked ticket yet, because if i book it now and the passport is not ready by then, then i am screwed, since i am going to asia(the place needs to get VISA), so i have to have extra 3-6 days to apply for VISA, so anyone can give some suggestions?

PS: The oath letter stated: Show up 8am, i left around 7am, traffic was really bad, then when i got there, it was 830, so nice , no one waiting outside, i just walked in directly and sat down rightaway. So just some suggestions for 9am ceremonies, you dont have to show up at 8am, or you can wait outside getting roasted:D

Do they give naturalization certificate at the oath ceremony? How do you update your SSN? Thanks for your posts and help.

Yes, they will hand out your certificate after the ceremony, and then you go to SS office, make sure you bring your certificate with you, and tell them you want to update your status, then they will give you a form to fill in, then done...new SS card will be issued and sent to your address withing 10-14 business days

I went to the ceremony on 2/26, got my certificate. It was interesting to see that the photo they used on it was taken in 1999, when I first applied for N-400(failed) or my reentry permit. They did not use the photos I sent for this 2nd N-400.
I immediately applied for a passport there, since most post offices stop taking passport apps around 2pm. I didn't like doing this because you are w/o anything for about 4 weeks.
Also, the line grew too long so they even stopped taking passport apps after a while.

I also registered to vote since they were handing out forms there too. Many do not know english, I helped a person next to me fill out his voter registration app since he could not read english. That being said, he probably did not know what it even was.

I forgot to do the ss thing, wish we could do that online. Do you need Naturalization certificate to edit your ss status? If so, then i will need to wait til I get it back.

Congrats stevegerald2000. Is your ceremony also at LA Convention Center?

Horray finished ceremonies, received certificate, and updated my SSN today. I am still trying to figure out whether i need to make an appointment with passport agency since i will be traveling around March 15-20th, well i have not booked ticket yet, because if i book it now and the passport is not ready by then, then i am screwed, since i am going to asia(the place needs to get VISA), so i have to have extra 3-6 days to apply for VISA, so anyone can give some suggestions?

You need to go to Passport Agency office on Wilshire. Schedule an appointment first. I was there today. They will charge you $160 by default (60 more than the regular processing fee). My passport will be ready by Tuesday. If you don't want to fork over extra 60 bucks ask them to process it using the regular process. I am beating myself over the head for it.

The window person did not ask too much about my travel, I had a printout of my itenary but that was enough for her.

For those attending the oath, make sure to bring a pen with you so that you can fill the voter registration and passport forms while you wait. I played video games on my phone for 1.5 hours before the ceremony started.

I received my Passport Card and Naturalization Certificates in two separate envelopes today. The Passport Card is beautiful. My Naturalization Certificate looked immaculate except for the staple holes on the right upper corner which was made by the Postal clerk. I was surprised it was not folded nor creased at all. I'm just relieved to finally have all 3 proofs of US citizenship. Good luck to you all!

I was also at the oath ceremony on the 26th, in the PM.

I have to say, for the sheer logistics of organising the ceremony & certificate distribution, the USCIS actually apppeared very efficient - I was very pleasantly surprised. I also thought the judge was very personable :)

Today I updated my record at SS, then submitted my passport application - I was not impressed to see the postal clerk putting a staple through my certificate LOL. I considered submitting the application after the ceremony, but, the line looked too long, and, I wanted to get on the freeway ahead of rush hour traffic.

I forgot to do the ss thing, wish we could do that online. Do you need Naturalization certificate to edit your ss status?

Yep, you will need to show the original certificate at SS office.

Congrats, were you there in AM or PM? I was among the masses in the afternoon

Congratulations with passports and oath letters! I agree, it's very inspiring to see you guys reach the end of long journey! now you can move on and forget USCIS for good! as to me I will apply for i-130 for my mom, and still need to refresh my memory about that.

sirch320 how did your mother's i-130 affect your oath/passport process? do you make a copy of natz certificate before submitting it for SSN and for passport?

Hi musashi! let me answer your questions in order
1) I am so dependent on the uscis website, and I found out there that the processing time for N400 applicants in LA will take about 1 year from now, it says there that they are now processing case dated February 2008.
Can anyone help me how to interpret their processing time? Are they referring to the date they received the application or the date they scheduled the interview?
Im a little bit worried that my application might take years to process

2) Feliz-LA, where did you get the estimated actual timelines? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

3) I've read a lot of cases here that their application was sent somewhere in August-October 2008 but they have been scheduled for an interview and some are scheduled for an oath taking already. These experiences are so inspiring. We hope to have the same timeline as yours. :)

1) you guessed right - the USCIS website has been showing very wrong information for over a year now, they promised to congress and various authorities to fix it, but we are still waiting. So don't pay attention to website. my first N400 that was denied half a year ago, is stills "received and pending" online.

2) i got my estimates based on people who applied in Oct-Nov 2008 to Los Angeles District Office. Don't compare your timeline to any other DO, (especially the speedy easy ones, like in Nebrasca ) only Los Angeles.

3) while it's hard to predict USCIS behaviour, I'd say we have 80% chance of this timeline (based on cases applied Oct-Nov 08):

PD-FD=1 month (walkin),
FD-IL - 1-1,5 month,
IL-ID - 1,5-2 month,
ID-OD = 1,5-2 months

so total from PD to OD anywhere from 5 to 7 months

once LA DO Dec 08 applicants get their ILs, or when more LA people join forum - prediction will be more accurate, but actually a lower level of people on forum - is usually the good news in itself, because people tend to join when something is wrong like current Oath Letter delay, or last year's backlog was very active time on forum. So I would say wait pay attention to this thread for next 3-4 weeks and you will have more accurate predictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations with passports and oath letters!

sirch320 how did your mother's i-130 affect your oath/passport process? do you make a copy of natz certificate before submitting it for SSN and for passport?QUOTE]

Thanks Feliz-LA!

My passport application was not affected by my filing for my mother's I-130.
I went home straight after my oath ceremony and made photocopies of my naturalization certificate. Then I went to the SSA office which is only a couple of blocks from my house. I filled out the usual SSA form and showed them my original naturalization certificate which they photocopied for their file. Then I went to a local post office to submit my Driver License, completed passport application form, payment, two passport size photos, and original naturalization certificate.

The following day, I mailed the I-130 with the photocopies of my naturalization certificate and birth certificate and payment.

I was without any original proof of citizenship status for almost 4 weeks.

Good luck Feliz-LA. Your turn will come very soon.

hi everybody.
thanks to everybody for sharing their experiences on this site.I am new here and read through many comments and learned a lots of good examples&wishing the good luck to everybody.here is y question;
i have been approved for my citizenship in the middle of last month and waiting for my oath letter but i need to leave due to the overseas assignment and i had to request HOLD for my mails.I learned that LA has ceremonies on 25th aof March and 22th of April.Do you see any issue on that matter?do they also hold mails from government such as USCIS(i am just curios since some mail has note to say"return service requested).Any idea will be appreciated.