Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

I have a very easy case, no criminal record, no driving tickets, no political affliations, professional engineer with an employment based GC. So nothing that could be an issue in delaying. The only thing that is unusual about my case is the FP rejection. My second set of prints were rejected as well and I had to substitute them with police letter from places I have lived in the last 5 years.

So, at the end of the interview, I asked the officer if there was anything else. And he explicitly said all my background checks were taken care of, since I had the police letters. I do not understand what else could be an issue in delay. I am just worried about getting into this limbo land where they keep delaying the case for some undisclosed reason.

I have been advised to seek out US representative's help but I know what they would say. They would ask me to WAIT. Since LA is officially still processing Oct 15th as per the processing times on USCIS website, they would tell me I am within the processing times. That is what I am told when I call the 800 customer service. I would be happier if they told me my oath is in May or some such date in future. Atleast I would known there is nothing pending for my case. Now I am sitting here wringing my hands, not knowing what is happening with my case.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Mahesh

PD Oct 1
Interview: March 3rd

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious...

maheshgajanan said:
I have a very easy case, no criminal record, no driving tickets, no political affliations, professional engineer with an employment based GC. So nothing that could be an issue in delaying. The only thing that is unusual about my case is the FP rejection. My second set of prints were rejected as well and I had to substitute them with police letter from places I have lived in the last 5 years.

So, at the end of the interview, I asked the officer if there was anything else. And he explicitly said all my background checks were taken care of, since I had the police letters. I do not understand what else could be an issue in delay. I am just worried about getting into this limbo land where they keep delaying the case for some undisclosed reason.

I have been advised to seek out US representative's help but I know what they would say. They would ask me to WAIT. Since LA is officially still processing Oct 15th as per the processing times on USCIS website, they would tell me I am within the processing times. That is what I am told when I call the 800 customer service. I would be happier if they told me my oath is in May or some such date in future. Atleast I would known there is nothing pending for my case. Now I am sitting here wringing my hands, not knowing what is happening with my case.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Mahesh

PD Oct 1
Interview: March 3rd

Was your interviewer Indian?

Sent out n400: 3/8/2005
USCIS received: 3/9/2005 (it is only 20 mins drive from where i mailed)
Priority Date: 3/9/2005
Check cashed: 3/16/2005
Received FP notice: 4/14/2005
Finger Print date: 4/27/2005 in Santa Ana

I have 3 traffic tickets and I did not mention it in N400. I finally gather all the citation and records to show i paid the all the fines.

i read here someone said traffic tickets do not need to be mentioned in the n400. however, i read from some other forums saying the questions in N400 asks "have you ever been citated....etc etc".

would any of you, experts, recomment to tell the interview officer upfront about the tickets right in the beginning of the interview? (actually, it is what i plan to do that thou.)

2nd thing is, I did not know I had to file a change of address to INS when I moved. I got my GC in GA and I moved to LA few years ago. I did not file the change of address. would they have problems of my "immigration files"?

Can anyone share the experience who went to the FP in Santa Ana? is it easy to locate the building? is it easy to find a parking spot? should i go there too early? my FP time is at 8am. should I expect to be waiting for long in the FP centre?

any helps would be very helpful. I just hope I will get the interview letter within next 4-5 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will move your file to DO responsible for the address you stated in your N400.

Regarding the tickets, I had the same situation, i did not mention in the n400. When the officer review my application she came to the Moral section and she asked me have I ever been arrested, I said "No, but I have been cited for speeding and got traffic ticket" I gave her copies of the receipts that i paid the fine. She wrote them done the date in the N400 application and that was it.

Mahesh, I recall reading an incident of an applicant who had interviewed early Feb and only recently got the oath letter for April 29 in LA. And I believe he or she had no complications with the interview or backgd check. There's still time and we're still 2 weeks away from the ceremony in April. Fortunately, there is a mid-size ceremony (2,700 people) middle of May followed by a larger one (7,000)at the end of the month, so your chances for being given a spot increases. And besides, the agent you spoke to informed you that you were being scheduled for an oath, no? I'm sure it's a matter of time. Best.

Steve_Houston said:
They will move your file to DO responsible for the address you stated in your N400.

Regarding the tickets, I had the same situation, i did not mention in the n400. When the officer review my application she came to the Moral section and she asked me have I ever been arrested, I said "No, but I have been cited for speeding and got traffic ticket" I gave her copies of the receipts that i paid the fine. She wrote them done the date in the N400 application and that was it.

is it a good idea to provide the traffic ticket copy right up front after i met the interview officer, rather than wait until he/she asks the questions?

i wonder if anyone recently took the FP and received the interview notice? how long were they apart?

i know it is very verious by cases but i just want to have a mind set on when i should be expecting an interview notice coming.

thx

Hey OC

FYI, here is my N-400 timeline:
1- Sent N-400 package to Laguna Niguel on December 28th, 2004.
2- Received Notice of Action with the PRIORITY DATE of JAN. 3d, 2005.
3- Received 1st FP notice. appointment for January 28th, 2005.
4- Received 2nd FP notice. appointment for March 9th, 2005 (after it was rescheduled, i couldn't attend the 1st one.. I know.. I know :)
5- Had my finger prints taken at EL MONTE, CA. on March 9th, 2005.
6- Got the interview letter on April 7th, I'm scheduled for May 19th.

Good luck,
Abdul

ocworker said:
i wonder if anyone recently took the FP and received the interview notice? how long were they apart?

i know it is very verious by cases but i just want to have a mind set on when i should be expecting an interview notice coming.

thx

Abdullah1

thanks for your time line and good luck on your interview. :) pls keep us posted on how it goes. i could file the application in mid Jan but I did not. I did not want to miss any paper work or appointments since I was going out on a vacation in Feb. hopefully it is not much more wait time than i could file it in Jan :p

did your name check get clear? seem your case is very fast. by all means, seem the online processing time is not really accurate. they show it is only processing up to Oct 15 2004 (or something like that) for LA office. Your case is 1/3/2005 and you got an interview notices in April 7th :)

My office is in Santa Ana and they say they are processing up to Oct 1st :(

abdullah1 said:
Hey OC

FYI, here is my N-400 timeline:
1- Sent N-400 package to Laguna Niguel on December 28th, 2004.
2- Received Notice of Action with the PRIORITY DATE of JAN. 3d, 2005.
3- Received 1st FP notice. appointment for January 28th, 2005.
4- Received 2nd FP notice. appointment for March 9th, 2005 (after it was rescheduled, i couldn't attend the 1st one.. I know.. I know :)
5- Had my finger prints taken at EL MONTE, CA. on March 9th, 2005.
6- Got the interview letter on April 7th, I'm scheduled for May 19th.

Good luck,
Abdul

tinkerbell said:
Mahesh, I recall reading an incident of an applicant who had interviewed early Feb and only recently got the oath letter for April 29 in LA. And I believe he or she had no complications with the interview or backgd check. There's still time and we're still 2 weeks away from the ceremony in April. Fortunately, there is a mid-size ceremony (2,700 people) middle of May followed by a larger one (7,000)at the end of the month, so your chances for being given a spot increases. And besides, the agent you spoke to informed you that you were being scheduled for an oath, no? I'm sure it's a matter of time. Best.

Ok, I will be patient, Tinkerbell! I cannot help think about it particularly when so many things in life are tied to this processing getting over. I have to remind myself many a time that it is does not help to use all my mental energy thinking about this. Anyway, thanks for your encouragement.

Anyone gone to(or plan to) LA passport office in person

Anyone gone to(or plan to) LA passport office in person to get the expedite passport in the same day.
I am planning to do that after my oath in Sandiego on May 10 as I have imminent travel after this.
Pl. share your exp or if you know someone has done it or plan to do it.
Thanks!!

Santa Ana DO

to the folks have case pending in Santa Ana DO:

Seem the processing date only moved up 14 days from last time updated. Has anyone received any interview notice since they were taken FP? How long are they apart?

thanks

I seem it is very slow movement in Santa Ana vs. LA DO which it moved up a month since last month update.

I'd suggest you schedule an appointment with them before heading to the Passport Agency. They don't take walk-ins for expedited service. Also make sure you are traveling within 14 days, that is a requirement for the expedited service. And the appointment should be scheduled within this same period (the automated phone system won't let you schedule anything beyond 14 days). Check this link http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_909.html. So if you have the oath date anytime soon , I'd go ahead and give'em a call.
good luck.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_909.html
Kind_SD said:
Anyone gone to(or plan to) LA passport office in person to get the expedite passport in the same day.
I am planning to do that after my oath in Sandiego on May 10 as I have imminent travel after this.
Pl. share your exp or if you know someone has done it or plan to do it.
Thanks!!

OC
I'm not sure if my name check is cleared or not. How do you check that? from the 800 number?

ocworker said:
Abdullah1

thanks for your time line and good luck on your interview. :) pls keep us posted on how it goes. i could file the application in mid Jan but I did not. I did not want to miss any paper work or appointments since I was going out on a vacation in Feb. hopefully it is not much more wait time than i could file it in Jan :p

did your name check get clear? seem your case is very fast. by all means, seem the online processing time is not really accurate. they show it is only processing up to Oct 15 2004 (or something like that) for LA office. Your case is 1/3/2005 and you got an interview notices in April 7th :)

My office is in Santa Ana and they say they are processing up to Oct 1st :(

abdullah1 said:
OC
I'm not sure if my name check is cleared or not. How do you check that? from the 800 number?

I believe you can check the name check using 800 number or send email / letter to FBI.

I used to live in Monterey Park. I just found out the LA office seems much faster than Santa Ana office :(

good luck on your interview in May. Don't forget to post your experience. Also, if they can't make the decision for your n400 even you pass the test, from what i read, mostly it is related with the name check.

you could ask them why / when you could expect it clear.. etc.. the last thing you could do is.. "wait" :(

abdullah1 said:
I'd suggest you schedule an appointment with them before heading to the Passport Agency. They don't take walk-ins for expedited service. Also make sure you are traveling within 14 days, that is a requirement for the expedited service. And the appointment should be scheduled within this same period (the automated phone system won't let you schedule anything beyond 14 days). Check this link http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_909.html. So if you have the oath date anytime soon , I'd go ahead and give'em a call.
good luck.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/agencies/agencies_909.html
Thanks abdul...
Do you know anyone has got the passport from LA in same day using this travel reason? I just want to make sure before I spend whole day for this.
Thanks

I sure don't. But from what I hear at the post office, you usually get it in less than 5 business days (including shipment process) with the expedited service. And even the regular service normally takes less then two weeks despite the fact that they claim 6 weeks. The good advantage in applying at the ceremony is, you don't have to submit your original naturalization certificate, for your peace of mind cuz they already know you just became citizen. In all applications by mail, you should submit the original (I personally would be reluctant to do that!). I'm not sure wether they would ask to keep the original if you apply at the agency. Again, these are little details, but worth to check.
Abdul.
Kind_SD said:
Thanks abdul...
Do you know anyone has got the passport from LA in same day using this travel reason? I just want to make sure before I spend whole day for this.
Thanks

Oh, you can get it that same day but in exceptional situations (life or death kind of thing)..
Kind_SD said:
Thanks abdul...
Thanks