Looking for recuiters in US

rodneyk

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have been applying for jobs in US that I qualify for, but no answer whatsoever! Of course, It's possible that is due to other things such my experience and such. However I was also wondering if I am automatically disqualified since I try to answer all the questions correctly such as: location (which is Toronto)....
I also say yes when asked if I am authorized to work in the US. Is it possible that going the recruiters route might be better? Is there any other strategy to get interviews in US?

- Target positions: Business System Analyst, Data Analyst

Sure a recruiter can help. But if you're not getting ANY response, the problem is also partly due to unattractive applications.
You gotta review, fix, and constantly refine your job hunting process.

As for location, get a mailing address within the area you are seeking work.

You can try the website myvisajob.com This site lists employers that have sponsors foreign workers in the past based on DOL Labor filings

Look at it from the US employer perspective. Why would I sponsor someone from Canada or Mexico on a TN visa if i can hire a US citizen to do the job? Your resume, education and experience has to stand out from the rest of the applicants. Your skills have to be in high demand.

For me, I put my Canadian address and my Canadian phone number on my Resume.
I put the comments "Eligible for sponsorship on TN or H1B visa" on my Resume and Coverletter.
Some companies have an online applicant tracing system you must fill out. When asked "Are you authorized to work in the US", I put "No". Some would ask "Do you require sponsorship", and I put "Yes". Sometimes you can add comments.
To me you have to honest on your application, resume and cover letter. Any lies or exaggerations will be found out later.

My employer paid for airfare, hotel, rental car, and food to fly me out to California for a job interview.
The job offer included a relocation package to pay for my moving expenses, with the standard clause, if I quit less than one year I have to pay back moving expenses 100%, if I quit after one year but before two years, I have to pay back 50% of moving expenses. Nothing after 2 years.

Do your research. Get the education and experience that are in demand and you should get interviews.
My employer did that because they could not find suitable candidates in US.

The US unemployment rate is at record low level right now (less than 4%). Now is the time US employers are having a hard time filling jobs.

You can try the website myvisajob.com This site lists employers that have sponsors foreign workers in the past based on DOL Labor filings

Look at it from the US employer perspective. Why would I sponsor someone from Canada or Mexico on a TN visa if i can hire a US citizen to do the job? Your resume, education and experience has to stand out from the rest of the applicants. Your skills have to be in high demand.

For me, I put my Canadian address and my Canadian phone number on my Resume.
I put the comments "Eligible for sponsorship on TN or H1B visa" on my Resume and Coverletter.
Some companies have an online applicant tracing system you must fill out. When asked "Are you authorized to work in the US", I put "No". Some would ask "Do you require sponsorship", and I put "Yes". Sometimes you can add comments.
To me you have to honest on your application, resume and cover letter. Any lies or exaggerations will be found out later.

My employer paid for airfare, hotel, rental car, and food to fly me out to California for a job interview.
The job offer included a relocation package to pay for my moving expenses, with the standard clause, if I quit less than one year I have to pay back moving expenses 100%, if I quit after one year but before two years, I have to pay back 50% of moving expenses. Nothing after 2 years.

Do your research. Get the education and experience that are in demand and you should get interviews.
My employer did that because they could not find suitable candidates in US.

The US unemployment rate is at record low level right now (less than 4%). Now is the time US employers are having a hard time filling jobs.

Thanks for the input. I will check the website.
It seems like the website is not online anymore

Having in-demand skills is certainly beneficial. But how does putting a spotlight on the impending legal-work-status challenges help someone like RodneyK?

If he's not getting interviews already, the last thing he needs is to give employers ANOTHER reason to reject him before talking to him.

Employers do not need to "sponsor" TN visas. They simply need to write a job offer or support letter which is CBP friendly. Obviously a candidate should be honest about their legal status, but the time to be honest is when there's enough mutual-interest that the employer is not going to be scared away from the extremely simply requirement of writing such a friendly letter, because of a fear about it being "sponsorship".

Having in-demand skills is certainly beneficial. But how does putting a spotlight on the impending legal-work-status challenges help someone like RodneyK?

If he's not getting interviews already, the last thing he needs is to give employers ANOTHER reason to reject him before talking to him.

Employers do not need to "sponsor" TN visas. They simply need to write a job offer or support letter which is CBP friendly. Obviously a candidate should be honest about their legal status, but the time to be honest is when there's enough mutual-interest that the employer is not going to be scared away from the extremely simply requirement of writing such a friendly letter, because of a fear about it being "sponsorship".

Thank you for adding to this...I have been pondering about this for sometime...