Long Absence from the US

chan2288

Registered Users (C)
My parents have green cards. They went back to China in 2002. What will happen to them if they try to come back to the US? Will they be refused at the airport, and asked to surrender their green cards and return to China? They do not want to stay in the US, they just want to visit me. Any comment or suggestion. Thanks.

My parents have green cards. They went back to China in 2002. What will happen to them if they try to come back to the US? Will they be refused at the airport, and asked to surrender their green cards and return to China? They do not want to stay in the US, they just want to visit me. Any comment or suggestion. Thanks.

Yes, they will be refused at the airport (99.99%), there is very low chance (0.01%) to be granted. GC is for permanent residence in US and not visiting visa. Remember that all those unused GCs are considered GCs issued in the eyes of immigration and this keep the line of waiting very long especially for India and China, if you are not using GC just surrender it and apply for visiting visa

Yeah, there is no chance to come back in GC status but if they surrender their GCs that its very likely they will get visitor visas.

If they attempt to use the card they will almost surely be detained or sent back. If they surrender it using the I-407 process, they can get a tourist visa (when interviewing for the visa they can point out that they officially surrendered the green card).