• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

List of documents required for GC

still i am not sure if this is required for me or not. i realized that, its individual per consulate to require it or not. because I am just 18, and university student. for the country i am from 14k is pretty high level of poverty line :) so what do you think? should i add 14k to my balance asap??

If you're only 18 and a Student, having an $14k in your bank account would not look right. Of course the Consulate will not expect someone who just graduated from High School to have that kind of money. But, you need to somehow prove yourself that you have the money to go to the U.S and survive before getting a job or go to school. What the Consular want to see is that you have the money to go there and when you arrived in the U.S, you won't live in the street.

Here are your options:

1. Get that $14k in your bank account but it need to be from a reliable source like your parents or your sponsor. You can then tell your Consular that your parents/sponsor has provided you with that money in your bank account so you can have some money to live in the U.S before you find yourself a job or go to school. I think it should be reasonable. Having a parents supporting you at 18 years old while you're going out of the country is quite normal for someone at your age. Like when you're applying for a student visa (F1), they will ask for some kind of proof of funds from the family (parents) or yourself to show that you can pay to the tuition and living cost in the U.S because they don't expect you to work in the U.S when you're under a student visa. I think the DV visa requirement is not much different, the only different is that the proof of funds need to be under your name instead of under your parents/sponsor name.

2. Get a sponsor from someone in the U.S. I understand this option sometimes is impossible from some people because they don't know anyone who live in the U.S. If you can find someone in the U.S that is willing to sponsor you, you're set to go. Just need to ask that sponsor to fill in an I-134 for you.

3. Go for the interview without any of the financial documents and risking visa rejection.

4. Forfeit from the lottery and save yourself from the $775 visa fee.

The U.S is one of the most expensive place to live in the world. The average living cost for 1 person about your age is about $1,000-$1,500 per month. This is just an estimation. It could be more and it could be less depending on where do you live and what kind of lifestyle do you live on. But a $1,000 per month is the minimum estimate that you should have.

Last edited by a moderator:
civil documents

Civil documents, except as noted below, are available in the [country's name]. Certified copies of available documents may be exported. The person to whom the record pertains must obtain a certified copy of the document at a local notary office, and have the notary's seal and signature authenticated at the Ministry of Justice. The official’s signature and seal of the Ministry of Justice is authenticated at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The American Embassy in [city] can authenticate the seal and signature of the officials of the MFA, if that is desired.

Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Adoption, and Death Certificates
Police and Prison Records
Military Records
Internal Residence Documents
Travel Documents

my 1st question is which documents are considered as civil documents?

Civil documents, except as noted below, are available in the [country's name]. Certified copies of available documents may be exported.

2nd questions: does this mean, I don't have to bring these documents to MFA or to US Embassy?

Civil documents, except as noted below, are available in the [country's name]. Certified copies of available documents may be exported. The person to whom the record pertains must obtain a certified copy of the document at a local notary office, and have the notary's seal and signature authenticated at the Ministry of Justice. The official’s signature and seal of the Ministry of Justice is authenticated at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The American Embassy in [city] can authenticate the seal and signature of the officials of the MFA, if that is desired.

Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Adoption, and Death Certificates
Police and Prison Records
Military Records
Internal Residence Documents
Travel Documents

my 1st question is which documents are considered as civil documents?

2nd questions: does this mean, I don't have to bring these documents to MFA or to US Embassy?

I don't understand what are you asking here. Don't make things more complicated than the way they are.

All the documents that you mentioned are Civil documents. The bottom line is that you need to bring the original of each of the required document + 1 copy of each.

Getting document notarized or signed by MFA or the U.S Embassy is if you don't have the original. If the original is lost/damage/stolen, you somehow have to prove the authenticity of the copy that you have by getting it notarized or signed by the authority.

I never heard of original documents being notarized or signed. Only copies or newly filled forms need to.

If I have originals + copies, do I still need to authenticate these copies at MFA or in U.S Embassy? I'll have these copies notarized without any doubt.

also I have another important question on my mind which is about leaving U.S after getting in to the U.S for GC affirmation. I know that visa will have 6months of validity. When can you leave back to your home-country and finish your studies ?

also I have another important question on my mind which is about leaving U.S after getting in to the U.S for GC affirmation. I know that visa will have 6months of validity. When can you leave back to your home-country and finish your studies ?

You can leave for up to 6 months I believe. Any longer, you'll need a reentry permit (Form I-131).

You can technically immediately leave the country after you enter the U.S through the Port of entry and your passport is stamped for i-551.

But, there are regulations that you need to comply in order to maintain that U.S Permanent Resident Status. Here is a good guide to read: http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf

Basically, you can't be outside the U.S more than 6 months to a year. If you leave the U.S for more than 6 months without filing a reentry permit, your Green Card will be revoked.

If you need to leave the U.S for more than 1 year, you need to file a reentry permit (Form I-131) before you leave the U.S. This reentry permit is good for up to 2 years. But, it is not a guarantee that you will be accepted back to the U.S after absent from the U.S on an extended period of time. You need to maintain certain ties/residency to the U.S including: Mailing address in the U.S, paying or filing taxes to the U.S government, maintain a bank account in the U.S, owning a home or apartment in the U.S, etc.

It is also better if you leave the U.S when you have the physical Green Card instead of just the i-551 stamp on the passport.

Hello again!

Today I received my 2nd notification letter. However, it only shows information about Panel Doctors and interview date. I couldn't find a paper shows all the required files list.

and about financial situation, what should I bring to Embassy office? Balance sheet? or a certificate?

thanks much la1,

and about financial situation, what should I bring to Embassy office? Balance sheet? or a certificate?

certificate of what?

If just using your own funds as financial information you will need an official (not internet printout) bank statement of your account going back about 6 months. And an other official statements from wherever else you have money

hi smcg,

bank statement of your account going back about 6 months.??!!! from where have you this information??????? they need only bank statement how many do you have in your account?? not back of 6 Months.!!!!!!!!!!! give me the source of information??

You cant expect to just give them a statement of here's my balance in my account today. You have to prove consistency of funds not just have a figure in your bank account.
Maybe a few months back then but best to have some sort of official record.

What you want his name and address?????? and phone number?

Its from someone who went through the interview at an embassy and i saw it mentioned here before and i am not going to go searching the forum for you. Do it yourself

hi smcg ,

for your informations i have 2 brothers go through the Interview?
and i know abut what i am speeching abut.

If just using your own funds as financial information you will need an official (not internet printout) bank statement of your account going back about 6 months. And an other official statements from wherever else you have money
That is not true. We (an others I know) only had print-outs from Quicken with us and that was fine. But I also would advise to have them for a couple of past month to show that not someone send you the money for the interview.

Ok fine.

If quicken or whatever that is has your address on the printout then ok. But I believe it needs to have an address on it.
But why just leave it to chance. Get the most and detailed information you can