Likely Chennai CP Interview in July/August 2004

Jala + Bala + Jings Congratulations !!!!! Two Thumbs UP !!!!

Soon to Hear from you. You are a real popular person tons of wishes above me.

Thanks

Congrats JalaBalaJings

Congrats and good luck for the Sucessful POE.
You are the man!!!. Posting live updates to this forum. Keep up this good work. Awaiting your interview experience details post.
Thanks and Good luck again.

Regs / ElangS.

BJ77 said:
pachaiattai:
Thanks for pointing it out....since i took it from another post it came through...I-864 is not at all required....i re-checked the list and i did'nt see i-864.....It is a typo error....
BJ77

What is I-864? Isn't just notarized employment verification letter? Please advise.

Going_CP said:
What is I-864? Isn't just notarized employment verification letter? Please advise.
I-864 and emp.ver.letter ., both are different.
1. I-864 is not required(in fact not expected by Consulate) for Employment based cases.
2. Emp.Ver.Letter ., get a letter from your employer(notarized) with salary and job details.
Hope this explanation will help you.

Employment Letter

Do we need to carry 2 letters?
1. Notarized Most Recent Job offer letter(this is mandatory) .
2. Appointment Letter given at the time of joining.
Is item 2 mandatory?

All Cper's reply welcome.

elangs said:
Do we need to carry 2 letters?
1. Notarized Most Recent Job offer letter(this is mandatory) .
2. Appointment Letter given at the time of joining.
Is item 2 mandatory?

{If you have take it else its fine, carry all the documents you have do not sort depending upon the requirement }

All Cper's reply welcome.

Interview experience at Chennai on July 2nd

Friends,

My humble aplogies for not posting the interview experience immediately as I was tied up with something equally important to the GC interview. Anyway this is what happened at the interview:

My interview was scheduled for 8:00 A.M. on July 2nd, 2004. Reached the consulate at 7:40. No separate lines for Immigrant and Non-Immigrant. Everyone was asked to stand a few yards from the consulate initially. At 8:00, people with an 8 '0 clock appointment was asked to form a line near the consulate.

People were asked to show their appointment letter and passports to the security guard at at the window. I did not have the appointment letter nor the copy of it, so I showed the guard the e-mail I received from the consulate and also the intreview list I took from the web. He read it and asked me to wait for few minutes as he wanted to ask somebody inisde the consulate if I could be let in.

15 minutes pass and this guy doesn't call me. I go to the window again, he asks me to wait for few more minutes. Waited till 8:30, looks like this guy is not going to call me, so went straight ahead to the gate where the interview applicants were let in. The guard at the window calls me and asks me to wait again. I was really frustrated and started shouting at him, told him that I was asked to just bring a copy of the e-mail and that no copy of the interview letter is needed. I showed him the interview list, published on the web. He matached the case number on that list to the e-mail I got from the consulate. Called up someone inside and the asked me to go in. For an 8:00 appointment I was let in at 8:40.

Usual security check, these guys go through between each paper in the folders. No water bottles were alowed, Ladies were asked to thro away their lipsticks, lipbalms etc. So guys when you go for the interview no cellphones, no keys, no lipsticks and no lipbalms.

Was asked to go straight into the second building. Made to sit and wait for document collection. Also was given a sticker label to complet my address. This label is used for the courieer service. (Make sure you write the Phone Number and address legibly).

At 9:30, was called at window by a Indian lady for submission of documents. She took the following documnets from me:
Copy of the e-mail sent by the consulate, DS230 Part 1 (Though she did not ask Part 1 specifically, I gave her) and Part 2, Copy of marriage certificate, Copy of birth certificate, Copies of W2's, Copies of 1040's, Notarized Employment letter, Job verification letter, Bank statement, Medical report and 3 immi style photos.

She then went through my passport regarding the entry and departure dates and asked me copies of all my H1's (I-797). I had around 5 of them and she took only one among them (That was the one which showed the period between the two H1 visas's stamped in my passport).

Next she collected the following documents for my wife : DS 230 Part 1 and Part 2, Copy of her affidavits (since she did not have birth certificate), Transfer certificate from her college as a secondary evidence for her date of birth, I-134, Medical report and photogrpahs. Same documents for my daughter too.

Finally, she also took the original Marriage certificate from us.

Meanwhile I met 'ASHRAM' and his wife at the consulate and they were called next to submit the documents. Out of a total of 11 EB cases, only 7 turned up that day(Maybe the others postponed their interview).

Waited for another 30 minutes, then the American guy appeared at the window and started calling the intrviewees one by one. ASHRAM and his wife was called second, they were at the window for 5 minutes with the American officer. ASHRAM's wife told my wife that only a couple of questions were asked and their visas were approved.

We were called in fifth. All the four persons before us go their IV. We went straight to the window, greeted the officer. He went through the documents and started asking questions:

Off: Where do you work Sir?
Me: XYZ company
Off: How long do you work there?
Me: Almost 3 years
Off: What does the company do?
Me: SW Devpmt, blah, blah..............
Off: What do you work as?
Me: Sr. SW Enggr
Off: How do you like the winter?
Me: Except for last year I liked it.

Next question to my wife:

Off: What are you maa'm?
Wife: Homemaker
Off: How do you like the place you live?
Wife: It's very nice. I like ti very much.
Off: How long are you both married?
Wife: Almost x no. of years

Next question to my daughter (5 years old)
Off: Hi, What grade are you in?
Daughter: I am not in any grade, I am in pre-school
Off: That's good. What school do you go to?
Daug: xxx school
Off: What is your favorite thing at school?
Daug: Story time
Off: How is India?
Daug: India is nice, but very hot.
Off: I am also feeling it. Let's play a game. OK?
Daug: OK
Off shows my passport to my daughter, points out my picture and asks 'Who is this'?
Daug: My Daddy.

Does the same with my wife's passport and my daghter's passport.

Off: Good. Now, I am going to shufle the passports. Shuflling and again points out the picture to ask 'Who is this'?. But this time he keeps his fingers crossed on the pictures, so that my daughter sees only a part of it. But still she told him who it was.

Off: Allright. You are all set. You should be receiving your passports in few days. Have a safe trip back.

We thanked him and left the consulate building.

The interview was on Friday and the next day (Saturday) around noon I received a call from Bluedart stating that my documents will be deliverd the same evening. The guy asked me to have a copy of the appointment letter ready. I told him that I don't have a appointment letter but I do have a copy of the e-mail. He told me that he cannot accept that and asked me if I have a copy of the Cashier's cehque I paid NVC. Since I had it wirh me, I told yes. That was sufficient for him. Got the passports delivered around 4:30 p.m. on
Saturday(07/03). Three separate envelopes for me, my wife and daughter. Corrections were not required as everything was in order. All the previous H1's and H4's were stamped with 'CANCELLED WITHOUT PREJUDICE' seal.

I am flying to the US on the 9th July and my family will follow me on the 14th September. I will post the POE details after I come in.

Thanks once again to all the EX CP'ers, Senior members and to all who gave their suggestions.

If it weren't for this forum, I would have never done CP. A BIG THANKS TO RAJEEV KHANNA for maintaining this site.

The total process from filing of labor to the interview date took approximately 19 months.

I will frequently visit this forum and will try to answer the CP questions based on my knowledge and experience that I have gained.

Thanks everyone again.
DA

hi jalabalajings,
congratulations on your success.
just have one query.did you give Rs.400/- in cash for courier service or they want DD?
thanks in advance.
austin.

cp interview

Hi Jalabalajings,
congratulations on your successful GC interview.

Do we need to go to the gate at Gemini flyover side or the one opposite Woodlands Drive-in, at Cathedral Road?

You have mentioned in the list of documents submitted to the lady ofiicer, "Notarized Employment letter, Job verification letter". What is Job verification letter?
I am taking a Notarized employment letter stating that I am working in the company since xxxx and the salary detail, job description... etc as per usual format.

Also, you have mentioned that you were asked for copies of all H-1s. Did the officer ask for the original H-1 for the one she took?
And were you asked to show the original of all H-1s?

DA, Thanks for the post. Congrats on your success.

What is employment verification letter? I know the Notarized employment letter.

Thanks

spkumar123 said:
DA, Thanks for the post. Congrats on your success.

What is employment verification letter? I know the Notarized employment letter.

Thanks

Employment verification letter is the same as the Notarized employment letter.
This letter as most of you know, confirms the position, the salary etc.
cited in the LC and is notarized.

While the above is mandatory, most candidates will also have a job offer
letter from the sama sponsor when they first joined the company. The consulate may not be interested in this, but it is advised to carry this offer letter along with the offer letters of earlier employers as support documents (this is in response to a question about the offer letter, above)

Raju

Raju, I have document lists the required documents to carry for immi interview: One point says:

Police Certificate: Applicants who have resided in any country outside of India for 12 months or more while aged 16 or over are required to present a police clearance certificate from that country, even if it is their home country.

Does it require a police clearance certificate from the local police station?
Thanks

spkumar123 said:
Raju, I have document lists the required documents to carry for immi interview: One point says:

Police Certificate: Applicants who have resided in any country outside of India for 12 months or more while aged 16 or over are required to present a police clearance certificate from that country, even if it is their home country.

Does it require a police clearance certificate from the local police station?
Thanks

I am sure lots of candidates have this confusion.

It is acceptable and validated hundreds of times that, if you are a current
resident of United States, the PCC that you get from Indian Consulate is
the only PCC that is required.

The important point to note here is, the PCC given by the consulate is
for the period you have spent in India
. So, you are infact fulfilling the
stipulation you have cited in your query.

To qualify this a little further, if your doubt was about a certificate from a
local US Police Station, then , no, it is not required. US can and does its
verification for your time in US through other means.

Raju

Last edited by a moderator:
Email from Consulate - "none" instead of "N/A"

Congrats Jalabalajings! Thanks for your reports. They are very helpful.

All,

I have a few critical questions before I leave to India on July 8th for our interview on July 16th. Kindly help:

Q1))
My DS-230 Parts have "N/A" while the common mistakes document states that "none" or "never" needs to be used. "N/A" is used in my DS-230 for the section on Military Service. Could someone tell me if they had "N/A" in their forms. If so, did you get it changed by the lawyers? Or did you go ahead and still did not have any problems?

Q2))
What address do I fill in, in the form needed for the Lister Lab medical tests? US address or India address? I think US address, but please confirm.

Thanks in advance,
Sreek

sreek said:
Congrats Jalabalajings! Thanks for your reports. They are very helpful.

All,

I have a few critical questions before I leave to India on July 8th for our interview on July 16th. Kindly help:

Q1))
My DS-230 Parts have "N/A" while the common mistakes document states that "none" or "never" needs to be used. "N/A" is used in my DS-230 for the section on Military Service. Could someone tell me if they had "N/A" in their forms. If so, did you get it changed by the lawyers? Or did you go ahead and still did not have any problems?

{If they are particular they will ask you to change it on the form at
the consulate. I used N/A where ever I had to and did not have any
problem}

Q2))
What address do I fill in, in the form needed for the Lister Lab medical tests? US address or India address? I think US address, but please confirm.

{Your current address in US }

Thanks in advance,
Sreek

{my responses}

Raju

Pcc

Pls Advise ,
My wife studied in Delhi (Higher Secondary ) for 2 yrs ,
Do we need to get the PCC from Delhi too ? or getting the PCC from Chennai commisoner office is good enough ? Right now she is in Chennai.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Austin

Cash is not accepted for Courier service. Only DD is accepted.

DA

austin316 said:
hi jalabalajings,
congratulations on your success.
just have one query.did you give Rs.400/- in cash for courier service or they want DD?
thanks in advance.
austin.

Srinimuth,

Do we need to go to the gate at Gemini flyover side or the one opposite Woodlands Drive-in, at Cathedral Road?

{The Gate on the Gemini Flyover side. The Gate at Cathedral Road is onlyfor Citizen Services}

You have mentioned in the list of documents submitted to the lady ofiicer, "Notarized Employment letter, Job verification letter". What is Job verification letter?
{Raju has given you the answer}
I am taking a Notarized employment letter stating that I am working in the company since xxxx and the salary detail, job description... etc as per usual format.

Also, you have mentioned that you were asked for copies of all H-1s. Did the officer ask for the original H-1 for the one she took?
And were you asked to show the original of all H-1s?[/QUOTE]
{I was asked only for copies of H1's and H4's . At no point of time I was asked to show the Originals.}

{My responses}

DA

August Interviews

Anyone called Chennai Consulate and found out about August Interviews.
Expecting my interview 100% in August since it was not in July.