likely Chennai April 2004 Interview

wiz69:

Congratulations. Nie to thear that your actual CP i nterview went smooth except for the folder and diaper bag incident. But this is great information or future cp'ers so that they are aware of it. Enjoy your stay in india and i'm sure your poe will be as smooth as your cp interview.

We had our interview on April 21st...it was successful.

Our experience:

Lister Labs: very simple process. blood test and xray. we went in at 4pm...we were the only ones there, so we were done in half hour. Picked up our results the next day.

Dr. Vijayalakshmi: a pleasant experience. She was really nice. no waiting at all. We were there at 10:30am...we were done by 11:30. We didn't have our vaccination records, she just gave us a MMR shot. Otherwise her checkup was very simple. The records are given in an envelope (sealed if you have any medical complications) Just double check all the information. The XRAYs are returned to you but its not necessary for the interview. I saw people who had brought it in for the interview, its totally useless because the consulate officers cannot read the xrays...its just bulky and annoying with all the security checks at the consulate.

Photos: Kodak FotoIndia at Javier Plaza on Nungambakkam High Road. Photos are usually returned in 15 minutes.

Interview:
Our interview was at 8:00AM

we got there at 7:40, there were only 4 people ahead of us. We carried ONLY 2 transparent folders. No cell phones, handbags, chewing gum, water bottle etc. There is a soda machine inside the interview area. Security check was pretty straight forward. We got in at 8:15 AM . The counters opened at 8:30. There were 2 counters with Indian Consulate Officers who called people based on interview times. We were called at 8:45. Make sure you have all documents removed and sorted from the folder. Also make sure you write your name and passport number behind the Demand Draft for the courier service. We had all the documents listed by KD1403.

Documents that they collected:

All documents that needs to be handed over has to be copies for them to store in their file. The originals are checked right in front of you and returned to you by the Indian consulate officer.

(1) Passports (both primary and secondary applicant. make sure you have all OLD AND CANCELLED PASSPORTS)

(2) Birth Certificate (both applicants, they checked the original and collected the copy)

(3) Medical Records (original for both applicants)

(4) DS 230 Part 2 (original for both applicants)

(5) I 134 Affidavit of support (original for secondary applicant)

(6) Marriage certificate (A copy for each applicant...if your marriage certificate is from America there is no need for photographs or invitation...we weren't asked for any of the above)

(7) IRS documents (copies for primary applicant only unless the secondary applicant is employed at present)

(8) W2 (copies only)

(9) Bank Statements ( original)

(10) Any valid visa not on the passport needs to be documented for both applicants.

(11) 3 photographs for each applicant

(12) Social security form (we had no idea about such a form they gave us a copy)

(13) DD for courier service

We were asked to wait for the interview once the documents were collected.

The interview was conducted by an American consulate officer. We were called at 9:15AM. He reviews your case and then calls you to the counter.

The interview:

Consulate Officer: when did you first go to America?

Primary Applicant: XXXX

CO: What did you do in USA?
PA: masters at University XXXX

CO: when did you finish your masters?
PA: XXXX
(by mistake we stated the year PA started working)

CO: why did it take you that long?
PA: corrected the previous answer from XXXX to YYYY

CO: what did you do after you graduated?
PA: worked for XYZ

CO: what do you do for XYZ?
PA: explanation

CO:why did you get your visa stamped in Ottawa?
PA: was present in Ottawa due to official reasons

CO (kinda irritated): asked the question again
PA: I had to go to Ottawa for official reason needed to get my H1 stamped.

CO (still not happy with the response): how often have you come back to India?
PA: stated year by year.

CO: when did you get married?
PA: xxxx

CO: why did you get married in America?
Secondary Applicant: because I was living in America then
CO: do you not have family in India?
SA: my family is in America
CO: is all your family in America?
SA: no most of my family is in America.

CO: (to SA) when did you come to America?
SA: xxxx
CO: what did you do?
SA: stated the durations and its purpose
CO: did you work for xyz on H1 visa?
SA: yes
CO: did you leaves xyz to get married? (the question was asked in a sarcastic rude tone)
SA: explained the reason

CO: your visa is approved. you will recieve your passport in courier by tomorrow

the interview lasted about 5 minutes.

While waiting I overheard some questions asked to another couple in front of us... questions to the secondary applicant were...when did you meet your husband? how did you meet him? was it arranged by your parents? etc

On the whole the experience was excellent. I was really worried with the name check business etc.

After all this wait and anticipation the interview seemed too simple...couldn't believe that it was over so soon... CP was totally worth it.

will update soon with POE experience. We will be entering on April 25.

thanks for everyone's help on this forum, especially KD1403 and Raju595. It was so much easier because of all your support. I knew what to expect from reading previous experiences on this forum.

-Meera

Congraats...

and Thanks for the detailed experience. It will be really helpful for future candidates...

meera:

I am happy that the entire medicals plus cp interview went smoothly. I totally agree with you that the cp interview (those 5 minute questions) are just a formality but well worth the time spend as opposed to waiting those years in the 485 backlog.
Enjoy your stay in india and rest of your GC life once you enter usa. Live life king size!!

successful CP, 4/20

Had Successful EB-1 CP interview on 4/20. Experience with lister and Dr. V were similar to Meera's (Dr. V did not give us any shots, no questions asked and it was brief and professional). No questions from Indian document checker and surprisingly only 2 questions from consular officer- Who's calling you?(to me) and are you also working ma'am?(to my wife). We had an 8am appt. and were out by 10am. POE is Detriot May 5th. Thanks to everyone on this forum, especially, KD1403 and Raju595.
Ajnahitokal.

Ajnahitokal:

HEartiest congratulations. And have a smooth trip back home. REmember to stand in that short Citizens/ GC holder line when you re-enter usa in detroit this time! Live life king size!

Originally posted by arbhai

thanks for everyone's help on this forum, especially KD1403 and Raju595. It was so much easier because of all your support. I knew what to expect from reading previous experiences on this forum.

-Meera

Congrats! But, Boy did the fella grill you down or what!!!

Meera and Ajnahitokal,

Congrats to both of you on your success!

Try and stay on the forum to help others behind you.

Raju

hi KD, I have my interview tommorow morning i.e., on 26th of April and i was under the impression that courier fees can be paid in cash. Guess I should have thoroughly checked the list of docs. Anyway, any idea what happens now? Do they accept cash?
Please reply at the earliest.
:(
Sav rav

POE successful...

our POE was Boston and we came back yesterday.
So this time around we didn't have to fill out a I-94...we just had to fill out the customs clearance form.
When we got out at the immigration there was a little confusion. An officer first sent us to the Citizens/Permanent Residents Line (the Red Line) but once we got to the counter the officer there told us to get into the non-US citizen line. with the back and forth shuffling we actually got out faster ecause they just put us in the front of the line. At the blue (non US) counter, the officer took both the sealed enevelopes and just asked us where we were employed, if we had any medical complications and why we didn't opt for an AOS. Next we were directed to Passport control.

At Passport control we were the only ones there so it was really quick. We were asked for a finger print and signature. The officer stamped both our passports with I-551 which is valid for 1 year. She told us this would be valid for any travel or employment purpose. She also gave us a sheet which had the social security office number.

Next after baggage clearance, at the customs line we realized passport control officer had forgotten to stamp our customs card. Had to go back to get it stamped.

On the whole the procedure was really simple and straight forward.

I guess my question to the gurus is what is our next step in obtaining both the green card and social security card. At the interview we opted for the same SS number. Do we have to go to the SS office to pick it up, if so when do we go?

thanks
Meera

Originally posted by arbhai
POE successful...

I guess my question to the gurus is what is our next step in obtaining both the green card and social security card. At the interview we opted for the same SS number. Do we have to go to the SS office to pick it up, if so when do we go?

thanks
Meera

After a week or so, go to your nearest SS office with your
Passport and request for the new card. You will get it in
about 10 days. The number will remain the same for who ever
has SS numbers earlier.

For your dependents a number is issued, if they did not have
one earlier.

Raju

Successful GC

Hi all,
So finally the GC quest is over. “Your visas are issued”. Those were the parting words with the immigration officer(not so friendly guy).
First let me continue with my earlier post regarding the draft for the courier. We came to know from some message board that a bank opposite Woodlands hotel near Chennai consulate has a special counter open for consular purposes. So we went there by 8 AM, got our draft in 10 minutes and were out. Went to opposite Woodlands, had breakfast and then walked down to the enterance to the consulate and to our surprise there was a long line waiting to get in. We were asked to stand in Q. So finally we were in by 10 AM. Security check is quite simple.

So inside the documents were collected. This Indian guy at counter 8 was very casual. We were not asked to arrange the docs in any order. We just passed the whole bundle to him and he started finding the docs for himself and arranging them in order he wants it. He asked to sign the DS 230 II and collected the draft for the courier. He separated all the originals and kept it in separate file. My company had changed its name, he asked regarding it and he noted it down and highlighted it. Since my wife’s bc did not have her name in it, though we had two affidavits from her parents, he asked her for some certificate from her, giving her name and birth date. We gave the 10th standard certificate. We had not attached the wedding invitations to the main folder. So he asked for it. While we were fishing for it, he told us it is ok if we do not have it. Anyway gave him the invitation. So we were asked to wait.

In another 20 minutes, we were called to counter 6 by a American Immigration officer. He asked me regarding my company’s name change, regarding my latest W-2 and why I had filed state tax from three states(although the answer was obvious…he had to ask it). My wife had been in India for the last 1+years. He questioned about it and was not so satisfied with the consecutive two c-sections answer and having two small kids and needing help. Asked if my kids are US citizens. Checked their passports. And then said those words which we were waiting to hear at the end of the interview. So was a OK experience.

And today we received the courier. To my surprise THERE WERE THREE BROWN ENVELOPES IN IT. ONE WITH MY IV STAMPED, ONE WITH MY WIFE'S AND ONE ENVELOPE JUST SEALED WITH NOTHING ON IT, JUST THE INSTRUCTIONS AS IN THE OTHER TWO PACKETS "TO BE OPENED BY A IMMIGRATION OFFICER AT THE PORT OF ENTRY". And our passports were separate.

DID SOMEBODY ELSE GET THREE PACKETS LIKE THIS.

Please reply.

Will post regarding the POE on May 7th at DC.

Thanks (to KD, Raju, Alren, Cpzinga in particular) for all your support and timely answering to all questions I had asked.

SAVRAV.

savrav:

Sorry about not responding to yoru query about the courier fees since by the time i saw that question you already had completed your interview. Nice to hear that all went smooth and enjoy your stay in india. Live GC life king size!

Hi
Anyone has a explanation for having received three sealed brown envelopes along with our passports by Blue Dart?
One has a visa paper for me, one for my wife and third is a similar envelope but nothing on it.
Thanks,
SAV RAV

Originally posted by sav rav
Hi
Anyone has a explanation for having received three sealed brown envelopes along with our passports by Blue Dart?
One has a visa paper for me, one for my wife and third is a similar envelope but nothing on it.
Thanks,
SAV RAV

The exact condition you received them is not clear. Let me tell
you what we got.

1 single cover sealed and addressed to me.

In this cover 3 individual covers, sealed and each of those covers
had a small portion of one corner cut off. It also contained the
3 passports.

Each of these 3 covers had the visas stapled on the outside.

(by the way the 3 covers are for myself, wife and daughter)

These covers are addressed to the Immigration Officer and we
are not supposed to open them.

Now let us know how you received yours.

Raju

Hi sav rav,

Congratulations! very glad to hear the good news from you.

I too have got 3 covers as Raju. For me, my wife and daughter.

Who all are the applicants in your case. However, this will not be a problem at all. Every thing will be cool.

Hi all
Was out to Hyd for the last two days. Anyway in my case, me and my wife are the only applicants. I got a package from Blue Dart. Inside which were three brown envelopes as described by Raju.
One had visa paper stuck to it for me and one for my wife and third has nothing on it. Just a similar looking envelope with the instructions "to be opened by the immigration officer......" on it.

I hope there is nothing to worry about in it. After travelling with two kids (2 yr and 3 yr old), all the way to the DC, I don't want any surprises!!!!

Anyway whatever happens, will keep you all posted.

SAVRAV