likely Chennai April 2004 Interview

Couple of things I came across while browsing past forums to make sure I had all my documents:

In a previous documents to carry list provided by KD1403 it says:

---->"Get sailing permit from IRS (Not required since 1998)"
what is a sailing permit...is it still required?

Also on an another post KD1403 has mentioned:

---->"The employment letter needs to be notarized before it is given to you. Preferrably carry 1 such notarized employment letter for each cp candidate."

My husband is the primary and he would need an employment letter. But I haven't been working since 2002 and I have been on H4 but before that I was on H1 and working...
* Do I need an employment letter from the previous company?

* Do I need to carry my offer letter from my previous employer?

* What documents would I need in regards to my previous employment and studies. I was on F1 visa for 7 years and worked during that time on OPT(optional practical training) would I need those offer letters?

* Would I need my transcripts etc...and how far back do I need to go?

----> Also the tax transcripts we need to carry can they be just computer print outs sent by IRS or do they need to be originals?

----> IRS also has sent me copies of my W2 from last 3 years...do I need the originals of W2?

Thanks
Meera

Interview Date: April 21st
Chennai
Leaving for India: April 10th
Medicals: April 15th

Originally posted by arbhai
Couple of things I came across while browsing past forums to make sure I had all my documents:

In a previous documents to carry list provided by KD1403 it says:

---->"Get sailing permit from IRS (Not required since 1998)"
what is a sailing permit...is it still required?

{It is similar to IT clearance certificate in India. This is no longer
required. }

Also on an another post KD1403 has mentioned:

---->"The employment letter needs to be notarized before it is given to you. Preferrably carry 1 such notarized employment letter for each cp candidate."

My husband is the primary and he would need an employment letter. But I haven't been working since 2002 and I have been on H4 but before that I was on H1 and working...
* Do I need an employment letter from the previous company?

{Only the primary candidate needs to carry a notarized
employment letter. In this case you would not need one.

He should have already prepared a Form I-134 (notorized)
for you. You should carry this }

* Do I need to carry my offer letter from my previous employer?

{You may carry but this would not be looked at}

* What documents would I need in regards to my previous employment and studies. I was on F1 visa for 7 years and worked during that time on OPT(optional practical training) would I need those offer letters?

{What ever Documents you got from the INS like Visa's etc}

* Would I need my transcripts etc...and how far back do I need to go?

{Not necessary}

----> Also the tax transcripts we need to carry can they be just computer print outs sent by IRS or do they need to be originals?

{The ones you got from the IRS are OK. That is how their
originals look}

----> IRS also has sent me copies of my W2 from last 3 years...do I need the originals of W2?

{Normally you should also have an original. If you don't then
the copies are also OK}

Thanks
Meera

Interview Date: April 21st
Chennai
Leaving for India: April 10th
Medicals: April 15th

{my responses}

Raju

H-1

If everything goes well in the consulate, then will they cancel the H-1 and H-4 visas? or will I have two of them (doesn't make sense) temporarily? Since my flight is through London and if I don't have a valid visa expiration date in my passport, then we are required to take a transit visa.... Did anyone had to go through this situation (I guess transit visa was added recently w.r.t date) so, wanted to know about the visa...

Thanks
gcsun

Re: H-1

Originally posted by gcsun
If everything goes well in the consulate, then will they cancel the H-1 and H-4 visas? or will I have two of them (doesn't make sense) temporarily? Since my flight is through London and if I don't have a valid visa expiration date in my passport, then we are required to take a transit visa.... Did anyone had to go through this situation (I guess transit visa was added recently w.r.t date) so, wanted to know about the visa...

{If everything goes well, you will have the Immigrant Visa
Approval with you (Attached to the outside of a packet).
That will be your visa

Yes, they will normally cancel the old H1 and H4 visas in
the passport}

Thanks
gcsun

{my reponse}

Raju

gcsun:

As raju said once your cp gets approved, your h-1b/ h-4 will get cancelled and immgrant visa approval document will be issued. And you have to show this document while flying thru europe and you will not need TRANSIT VISA for your return journey from india to usa via europe.

So in other words when you apply for your transit visa on your trip from usa to europe to india, request SINGLE ENTRY transit visa. There is no need for multiple entry transit visa.

To Raju595 or kd1403

I recently travelled to India and did not have a valid H-1 stamp in the passport but I had no problems in transit via Amsterdam(NW-KLM). I called their consulate and they told me that I do not need transit visa at that time (Jan '04). I had my H-1 renewed while I visited India. I have CP interview in April and again traveling via Amsterdam. Now on the way back, post CP, do I need a transit visa??
Another question--I am in EB-1 category and my wife is working on H-1(from H4). Do I need a notarized I -134 for her.

Thank you for all the help you guys provide to all of us in the forum. You both are really wonderfull.
---ajnahitokal

Originally posted by ajnahitokal
To Raju595 or kd1403

I recently travelled to India and did not have a valid H-1 stamp in the passport but I had no problems in transit via Amsterdam(NW-KLM). I called their consulate and they told me that I do not need transit visa at that time (Jan '04). I had my H-1 renewed while I visited India. I have CP interview in April and again traveling via Amsterdam. Now on the way back, post CP, do I need a transit visa??

{You don't. You are all the more empowered with your
Immigrant Visa }

Another question--I am in EB-1 category and my wife is working on H-1(from H4). Do I need a notarized I -134 for her.

{I-134 is asked to ascertain that a person is not likely to
become a state charge. In your case there are two ways.
One is not carry a I-134 for your wife, in which case she
needs to carry documents related to her employment like
employment letter or offer letter, pay stubs and so on
(no notarizations required).

Or simply carry a notorized I-134 for her showing her as
a full dependent or a partial dependent.

Either way it is OK but I would prefer the second option}

Thank you for all the help you guys provide to all of us in the forum. You both are really wonderfull.
---ajnahitokal

{my responses}

Thanks for the comments.

Raju

ajna:

Amsterdam - Holland is amongst the few European countries that does not require transit visas. But these rules change by the week so check with Netherlands consulate in usa couple of weeks befor eyou fly.

With immigrant visa approval paper in hand you will not need transit visa in any European country.

Yes, your wife will need a I-134 executed by you since as far as your GC process is concerned she is a dependent.

Notarized Employment Letter

I have gathered all the required documents for my upcoming interview. My employment letter is not notarized. My lawyer says it is not required to notarize employment letters. Any thoughts?

A sample appointment letter posted on this forum abt. 3 mos back specifically says

Evidence of finiancial support : .... .... a notarized offer of employment ..... ....

Re: Notarized Employment Letter

Originally posted by wiz69
I have gathered all the required documents for my upcoming interview. My employment letter is not notarized. My lawyer says it is not required to notarize employment letters. Any thoughts?

This is probably the most important document you would carry, and it has to be notarized. You need to impress upon your
employer about this requirement.

Raju

Job verification letter

Hi
In the list of documents required which came along with my interview letter, it is mentioned that i have to get "job verification letter". Is this the same as "Notarized Employment Offer Letter".
I have this notarized letter from my GC sponsoring company and also experience letters(not notarized) from the present sponsoring company and also my previous employer.
Thanks in advance.
Sav Rav
Interview date: 26th April

Unless the appt. letter has changed in last 3 mos. or so, I did not find 'job verification letter' in the appt. letter sample posted by a member a few months back.

Only 2 job related items,
--
Evidence of finiancial support : .... .... a notarized offer of employment ..... ....

Beneficiaies of employment-based petitions should bring a recent letter from the prospective employer confirming the essentials of the job offer.
--
To my understanding both these items are in essence the same. The fact the the 1st item is notarized, makes it irrelavant that 'notarized' is not mentioned in the 2nd item.

So if you have the notarized employemnt offer letter, you would be sailing ...

wiz69, savrav:

I would like to emphasize on the point that your GC sponsoring employment letter should be notarized prior to you receiving it. All other previous employment letters need not be notarized.
The other document that has to be notarized in I-134.

Not sure where you came across the term "job verification letter" but my guess is it would be the same as the notarized employment letter in this case.

Job verification letter

Hi alren and kd1403,
The bunch of papers I received along with my interview letter has a page which has a heading "Important Notice". In the subheading is "Documents". And a list of documents to be arranged is given. In this No.5 is as follows word to word:

"5. Affidavit of support(Form I-864) from the petitioner along with federal income tax returns (form 1040) and W-2 forms from the 3 most recent tax years; Job verification letter and bank statements. A member of the same household must submit form I-864A in order for his/her income to be considered. If a co-sponsor is requried, he/she must submit the same. "

Mine is a employment based petition, so i understand that i should get 1-134 for my dependents, tax transcripts+state tax copies+W 2s, have got a notarized letter of job offer(yes the employer has notarized and send this to me), have got the bank statements, have pay stubs.
Now tell me, do I need anything called "Job Verification letter".
Thanks in advance again,
Savrav

savrav:

Since you have the notarized employment letter that will act as the job verification letter. SO you do not need a seperate JV letter.

And you are right you will need I-134 notarized instead of I-864 notarized.

some more questions

Hello to you all experts out there,
Looks like I am having the max doubts in this thread!!!

Anyway here goes. My labour application states the job title as "software consultant". In my labour application in the related occupation field my company has filled as "software engineer" or "system engineer". But the final determination received from US dept of Labour employment say "Software Engineer" for Alien Occupation.
My company has given the notarised job offer letter in the designation of "software developer". I sure do have to get it redone. Now tell me, should it mention my designation as "software engineer"(according to my labour certification) or "software developer" (as mentioned in my labour application)?

And the pay mentioned is 10k more than what is mentioned in my labour application. Is that ok. Or should I ask them to change that too.

And regarding the job details, should it be same, word to word, as in the labour certification or can it be a summary of the details mentioned in my labour application.

And regarding I 134, should I mention my parent and parents-in-law names in #9. What is the criterion there? I remember having read somewhere that if I had executed affidavit of support for them more than 3 years back, it is not necessary to mention their names; but less than 3 years do I have to? Can somebody throw some light on this matter.

For now the list of questions stops here!!!
Please reply at the earliest. And thanks again for going through this lengthy post.

SAV RAV:confused:

savrav:

Anyway here goes. My labour application states the job title as "software consultant". In my labour application in the related occupation field my company has filled as "software engineer" or "system engineer". But the final determination received from US dept of Labour employment say "Software Engineer" for Alien Occupation. My company has given the notarised job offer letter in the designation of "software developer". I sure do have to get it redone. Now tell me, should it mention my designation as "software engineer"(according to my labour certification) or "software developer" (as mentioned in my labour application)?

Answer: The consular officer understands that there is minor (if any) difference between software engnr and software developer. This is not a big difference. So you can use your existing notarized employment letter. It is the job description & your salary more than job title that has more weightage in that employment letter. Whether it is software engineer / developer it is not a big deal at all.

==============================================

And the pay mentioned is 10k more than what is mentioned in my labour application. Is that ok. Or should I ask them to change that too.

Answer: It is normal to have pay > = LC pay. In fact these days even a 20% pay below LC pay is not a reason for concern. You are fine on salary point too.

And regarding the job details, should it be same, word to word, as in the labour certification or can it be a summary of the details mentioned in my labour application.

Answer: Preferably should be as-is from the LC or close enough. BTW...when you say Labor appln vs Labor Certification how are you distinguishing the 2. I am guessing LA is for H-1B and LC is for GC. Am I right? Coz thats the way it should be and i am interpreting.

And regarding I 134, should I mention my parent and parents-in-law names in #9. What is the criterion there? I remember having read somewhere that if I had executed affidavit of support for them more than 3 years back, it is not necessary to mention their names; but less than 3 years do I have to? Can somebody throw some light on this matter.

Answer: You should state their name. I did for my in-laws and also on the side stated that they entered xx/xx/xxxx and returned back to india xx/xx/xxxx so that i was clear on the fact that although i had executed I-134 in their name they have returned back to india. You could do the same. It is not a big deal. All i can say report the facts. And to the best of my knowledge there is no 3-year rule.