Life Without Interim Ead

Should USCIS reconsider the new NO interim rule?

• Yes

Votes: 137 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • I Don't know?

Votes: 6 3.8%

• Total voters
EAD Renewal

I am confused about needing an EAD, I am the husband of a L1 holder and in the process of applying to renew my EAD but it looks like I may have applied too late (my fault) as my orignal EAD expires 2/2/07 I have completed biometrics but still waiting on card (biometrics done 1/20/07,and I have had some LUD changes lately) I was told by Social Security that L2 holders do NOT need an EAD card (they may get one if they choose) the exact wording, from the Social Security Policy Site, is as follows.

(non-immigrant E-1, E-2, and L-2 classifications), the spouse is also authorized to work without specific DHS authorization. The E-1, E-2, and L-2 spouse is not required to apply to DHS for an EAD card as documentary evidence of work authorization but may choose to do so. When the E-1, E-2, or L-2 spouse applies for an SSN card and does not submit an EAD as evidence of employment authorization, he/she must submit, in addition to evidence of immigration status, evidence of a marital relationship to the principal E-1, E-2, or L-1 alien. The evidence of marital relationship between the applicant and the principal E-1, E-2, or L-1 alien is a marriage document (indicating the marriage occurred prior to admission to the U.S. as an E-1, E-2, or L-2 non-immigrant).
https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500!opendocument#c2

It clearly says that a spouse is not required to apply to DHS for an EAD card. In fact when I called the Social Security Office they told me that as long as my visa was valid I was okay. However everything else I read says the opposite.

Any suggestions/comments???

Hi skbap,

you should receive yr EAD card in mail in a couple of days. I got mine after 4 days of approval. Reg working, you can just show yr employer the email and the online status printout if they ask for some proof. other than that you can work immediately after yr approval. need not wait for the pysical card to arrive in mail.

I feel your pain

skbap,

I feel your pain. I am in the same situation where I am forced to be on a leave of absense. It is frustating and embarrasing to explain it to people especially after I have been living here for 10+ years.

I dont think you can work unless you have a EAD card in your hand. That is what I was told by my company but also I work for a large software company so they are lot stricter. Every non-citizen is required to fill out I-9 form within first three days of the start date. If I were you I would explain them the situation. So you may not have pressure to report on the first day.

By the way what was your RD? Also please keep us posted.

JMJ please share more details

JMJ,

What was your RD? How many times did your LUD change? what kind of emails did you get? More details appeciated :)

Thanks in advance

Time taken after "card approved"...

Hi JMJ,EADStuck,

thanks a lot for sharing your experiences.
As JMJ said its very encouraging and my employer got ready after showing that "Card ordered ..." email. But still he gave me couple days & told me to join by Monday.

Eadstuck, as u said its very frustrating to explain all this as they wouldnt understand these procedures. For me the client waited for almost 11/2 month from the day my EAD expired. Thats y my company is eager to put me back in ASAP and took a risky step, even without the card.

My RD: Nov 9th,06
Ead exp: Dec 19th (jobless since then)
Got 3 emails: Jan 30th (about the card ordered..blah blah...)

Now waiting for card to see in hands

Hi EADSTUCK,

My RD is Oct 31,2006. I got 2 LUDs one at the approval and the other when they sent out the card. For more details please look at my earlier posts. BTW my AP which was applied at the same time and which had the same RD was approved yesterday.

good news

hi guys today my case status changed they ordered an ead card for me and they said i will get it in 30 days good luck to everybody

why that is it take that long 30 days thats a long time should i go to a local office and get an interim ead

pacousi25
Congratulations, and don't worry, it will not take 30 days, I told that already..
Good Luck to every one else, EADSTUCK....you are next :)

2nd set of emails

Hi folks,

yesterday night i got emails saying my card is mailed yesterday. Finally the long wait is hopefully going to end. I am waiting for the card to see in my hands....

Goodluck to all...

RD: Nov 9th,06
Card approved : Jan 30, 07
Card mailed : Feb 1st, 07

Still waiting for the card

Hi all,

Last Friday, I had an infopass and was told my case was approved on Jan,24 and waiting for biometrics. I did my biometrics on same day. I had seen LUD on 28,29,30 but I still have not gotten any email. I called 1 800... on Wednesday and officer said he is going to email them ,Lee's Summit,MO office, and took my phone #. He told me they'll contact me in 48 hours guess what nobody called. I called today and lady on the phone said they can not do anything at this point. She asked me to send a letter and request info. Does anybody has any suggestion about what to do? I have a good job offer which has waited for my EAD almost two months and don't think they'll wait anymore if I don't get my EAD anytime soon.

Regards,

hello everybody today my case satatus changer again (on feb 2 we mailed you a notice of approval i765 .....) when do u think they will send me my card or shall i take that notice and go to a local immigration office and get my card

pacousi25 said:
hello everybody today my case satatus changer again (on feb 2 we mailed you a notice of approval i765 .....) when do u think they will send me my card or shall i take that notice and go to a local immigration office and get my card

you should get a card in a weeks time. you might get another lud change stating that your card has been ordered. not sure if you get a lud change when the card is mailed.

the first lud was saying (card ordered....) and today the second lud said (approval i765 notice sent..............) shall i get my card on that notice

Approval letter= Actual EAD

pacousi25
The EAD card will arive in the same letter, the approval letter.

thanks hossamy and now i have another question after i get my ead card when am i supposed to get my travel document

Life without interim ead!

I am very confused and worried at this time. I do not know if something is wrong with my application or not. My receipt date for I-475, I-130 and I-765 was August 30, 2006. Had my fingerprint taken on Sept, 15 06. I received RFE dated Sept, 12 06 on Sept, 16 06 asking me to send my medical and a new affidadit of suport. I had 89 days to respond to it. USCIS recieved my RFE on Nov, 17 06. On the RFE, it stated that I was not eligible for interim ead until 90 days after they receive my RFE. When I checked the status of the I-765, it was received and pending as of August 30 06. Is this normal? People with similar experience should reply and let me know what is happening with my application. The LUD for I-475 was 11/22/06 and for I-765 was 9/18/06. I am very worried because I have been without work since 2005. I was hoping I would have received my ead by now so I can have my licence renewed. I have a child that needs to be supported. Is there something that I need to do. Please help!
Thelma

Take Action..Now

KAYGEE78
It all happened becuase of the RFE, but any way, you should call the 800 # and ask for " service inquiry request" , also send a letter to your service center to let the know that your I-765 is outside normal processing time(ONPT). you should be able to find the draft for this letter in this very thread.
Good Luck :)

Re: Take Action

I called the 800 # last month, was given a confirmation # and asked to wait for another 45 days to receive a response. I'm thinking when they send RFE, it means you can get your ead after another 90 days after uscis recieves RFE. Is that what usually happens. I am stressed because of this. I basically have no life in this country right now. Can anybody imagine having a child and not have a licence to take him places, have to rely on others for help because you can not work?

hello kaygee

you should call the 800 number and tell them to transfer u to an immigration officer u have to do something about ur case if u want it to go forward i had the same situiation as urs when i talked to an immigration officer they started working on my i765 the next day and good luck