• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Life after got Green Card

AntonLou

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
I have a stupid question for you all. I am afraid that what should I do after I got GC? is it make my life easier? better than before? or maybe worse, harder...Couple days before I wrote an email to a friend of mine..who just came back from US and he said that he will never back to US again...life is hard at there. FYI, He won DV in 2001 and got GC and went to San Francisco and worked as administrator...
So folks...May I have your suggestion regarding this?
Thank you so much and...

God Bless You all

Hi,
I do not know if you have won at the Lottery and if you currently live in the US ( it seems that you don't otherwise, you would probably already have your opinion ).

Here's MY opinion :
I'm French. I have received good education, and the French system is quite good in terms of help for health and other social things.
However, I think that I was given way more opportunities in the US.
For example, I came to pursue my studies and I received fellowship awards so my tuition for my MS was all paid.
I found a job in the US that I would never have been able to get had I stayed in France : I am being trusted even though I am quite not experienced ( graduated 2years ago, I am 25 now ) and given responsibilities.
=> In the US, if you want to succeed, you can. You will need to work hard, but I would say that there are less barriers in comparison to France.
I am not saying that it is easy though. There is poverty here too, like everywhere else. In the US, health insurance is not cheap, education is not cheap, there is much less vacation than in Europe...But I feel I can achieve more.
Also, all my family is in Europe. So, I am here only with my husband. I miss my family at times. At the beginning, I missed french cheese, french bread. :D ...all the things I was accustomed.
I had no credit history, so I had to pay a deposit to get a phone, had to buy a junk car so I could pay it cash. But I have made a choice, and now I laugh about some things.

Only YOU can decide.
Are you willing to go through the process of immigrating to a new country ( with your family ) ? Find a new/ different job ? Not to know all the laws, not to know everything about pop culture ? No credit history ? ... All these things can be funny, rewarding, tiring, lenghty...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think picking one of the most expensive cities in the US for initial adaptation of a DV winner (especially if he comes from a language and cultural enviroment that is very different from the US) is a bright idea. Of course, life is hard when you are earning $30,000 and paying $1,500 for rent. Much easier if you are earning $30,000 and paying $500 for rent. Pick a cheaper state, and your adaptation may go a lot easier.

I had no credit history, so I had to pay a deposit to get a phone, had to buy a junk car so I could pay it cash. But I have made a choice, and now I laugh about some things.
Catseyes has a very good point, however, I am not laughing about my adaptation. I didn't have the right to work, but I had a very big liability - paying tuition at a private college (no scholarships for undergrads). I didn't buy my junk car until after 6 years passed since my arrival (grad school time - thank goodness for assistantships!). I think it made me stronger, and I appreciate my achievements a lot more.

You are coming to the US with the right to live and work here. You are very fortunate.

Thank you so much for your kind suggestion, Cateyes and Lucy Mo.

I read a lot of your posting, Cateyes and Lucy Mo. and all your posting is very valuable and I am really grateful for those.

I won DV 2008 and before I walk further, I would like to get input, thought, suggestion and anything else from all of you who have more experiences than me.
We know that if we look something we should consider in two sides, positive-negative. Most of us only would like to know sweet thing and forget the bitter thing. I know that life is hard but if my life in my country is hard (I have to think what I should do for tomorrow to be life) than why I should go to US for same thing?.
FYI, I got Master Degree in Microwave Engineering from a Swedish University and have professional certifications in IT and have been working for 7 years in IT field. I know that nowadays IT field is not in booming. That’s why I am reviewing my decision.

IT is alive and well in the US. Heck, my hubby is in IT, and he gets twice+
my salary.... :)

What country are you from?
I know that life is hard but if my life in my country is hard (I have to think what I should do for tomorrow to be life) than why I should go to US for same thing?.
Life in the US is not hard for people with education (especially, Master's), English and willingness to work hard. American dream is so desirable, because it is obtainable. It is a land of opportunities for those who want them. It is also a very good place for those who just want a nice 9-5 job and decent house and a nice life in general.

IT is alive and well in the US. Heck, my hubby is in IT, and he gets twice+
my salary.... :)

Hi LucyMo,
I always appreciate ur contribution in the forum and believe me i have learnt alot from your posts.Pls i would like to ask what are the prospect of getting a job for an immigrant with A+ certification, MCP and Oracle 10g certification in IT.The reason i ask is that some people believe as an African(Nigerian to be precise) coming into the US as an immigrant has to start from the bottom of the ladder as far as jobs are concerned.Is this true?
I am looking at Atlanta as my point of Entry and would like to know the job situation as far as IT is concerned in Atlanta.

If i may ask, what area of IT is your hubby into?
Thank you.

He is in GIS programming.
Atlanta is pretty good, check out jobs on careerbuilder.com, thinkresources.com, etc. According to my husband - plenty of IT jobs here in ATL. If you speak English and are educated - you don't have to start from the bottom, no matter what your home country was. Create a winning resume, get ready for interviews, and go for it!

I have to echo what Lucy has said about finding a cheaper area to live.

Even though I don't even have a green card and it will be ages away IF it even happens I am already looking at areas i will be interested in. My dream city is Boston but it just isn't realistic to move from Australia to Boston and try and get set up there on the Australian dollar etc.

I am totally on my own in this, so I am looking at setting up somewhere cheap to get a footing and just work any job to get set up and a little settled before moving to somewhere more expensive - as a Librarian a lot of my employment opportunities are in DC, Boston etc but I don't want to focus on these places entirely as their livings costs are extreme compared to other places.. San Fran is definitely one of those on the expensive list!! :)

When I was on my J visa i lived in a small town in texas... cheap cheap cheap and a hell of a lot of fun!! :) :)

What country are you from?

I am from an archipelago country in South East Asia, Can you guess it?

LucyMo, What country are you from?

Anyway, Thank you so much for your kind input. It opens my mind about US.
May I know from your experience, what are negative sides about US? how do you cope with your new circumstance?

Thank you and
Regards,
Anton

I have to echo what Lucy has said about finding a cheaper area to live.

Even though I don't even have a green card and it will be ages away IF it even happens I am already looking at areas i will be interested in. My dream city is Boston but it just isn't realistic to move from Australia to Boston and try and get set up there on the Australian dollar etc.

I am totally on my own in this, so I am looking at setting up somewhere cheap to get a footing and just work any job to get set up and a little settled before moving to somewhere more expensive - as a Librarian a lot of my employment opportunities are in DC, Boston etc but I don't want to focus on these places entirely as their livings costs are extreme compared to other places.. San Fran is definitely one of those on the expensive list!! :)

When I was on my J visa i lived in a small town in texas... cheap cheap cheap and a hell of a lot of fun!! :) :)

Hi Lorelei,

My life and professional experience are similar to yours, except winning DV. I was also in J1 program and I am a librarian, I obtained my MLS in Queens, NY. I had a chance to live and be places like Boston, DC, etc. I agree with all what you said and regarding costs. I myself lived and worked in NYC, it could be another option to consider, you don't neccesarily have to live in Manhattan, Queens or Brooklyn has cheaper accomadations and there are plenty opportunitie in Librarian jobs. Plus, you are an English mother tongue, so it is a good benefit. Another, i would like to add, look for job in academic areas, colleges, universities, etc. My 2 cents.
Congratulations on your winning, everything will be allright and I see from ur signature you have an early case #, so things should just fine. Another thing, i have never heard someone being sponsored for H visa in library field, so having your perm. resid. card will just open the doors in ur career. Don't worry about the costs and living expenses, important thing is to brave and wanting to move to the US.

I am from an archipelago country in South East Asia, Can you guess it?

LucyMo, What country are you from?

how do you cope with your new circumstance?

No, I couldn't guess it, since you are sporting a Russian name, and I am from Russia myself.

I have been in the States for 13 years now, so my circumstances are not that new anymore. :) I was young (20) and adapted rather quickly. My parents are going through the adaptation right now, and so far - they are OK, and would be even better if they spoke English.

Those who come here with good ideas about their own strengths and weaknesses, and who do not expect that America will meet them with a bag of money when they come off the plane, and who are ready to work and not ask for welfare - those do well.

Thank you so much for your kind suggestion, Cateyes and Lucy Mo.

I read a lot of your posting, Cateyes and Lucy Mo. and all your posting is very valuable and I am really grateful for those.

I won DV 2008 and before I walk further, I would like to get input, thought, suggestion and anything else from all of you who have more experiences than me.
We know that if we look something we should consider in two sides, positive-negative. Most of us only would like to know sweet thing and forget the bitter thing. I know that life is hard but if my life in my country is hard (I have to think what I should do for tomorrow to be life) than why I should go to US for same thing?.
FYI, I got Master Degree in Microwave Engineering from a Swedish University and have professional certifications in IT and have been working for 7 years in IT field. I know that nowadays IT field is not in booming. That’s why I am reviewing my decision.

Hey AntonLou,

I my self am a fellow software engineer, and I have been monitoring IT positions mostly on the US East cost for a number of years now. I was waiting till I had enough experience to maybe try and get a company sponsored H visa. Then low and behold the KCC letter arrived. :)

My first point, Adjusting to life in the US.

I have to say the US is not for everyone. But its definitely for me, as Catseyes so eloquently stated it is up to you to make up your own mind, but here is my 2c’s worth.

My very first trip to the US was 10 years ago now, I got a job with IBM here in ireland and was very lucky to have been sent on a business visa to go and work in san jose, CA for about three months. Let me tell you it was the life, great apartment, fantastic expenses + wages, I was raking it in, living in the US which I had always wanted to do, and had my company picking up the tab. Live was sweet. I of course became obsessed with the US and began entering the DV program.

After the realisation of winning the DV being nothing more then short of a minor miracle set in, I decided to take a career direction change, and go to university in Ireland. I studied a BSc hons in Software eng. My reason for doing so was threefold, firstly access to better and higher paid jobs here in Ireland, secondly to improve my chances of getting a H visa, and thirdly and most importantly the J1 visa!

At last I had the chance to go and legally work in the US. I have to say I was never interested in working undocumented, it would not be for me.

So summer 2003 I arrived off the plane in Boston to live in America for four months. I have to say this is where the dream turned sour. There was no expensed flights, no nice apartment with a pool, and no hire car to drive around in. I was messed about for SIX weeks trying to get a SS no, (I was on a business travel visa the first time so not entitled to a SSN). I could not get a job anywhere as had no SSN, my money was running out and It was looking like I would have to come home.

Thankfully an Irish guy in Boston sorted me out for a job. When I eventually got my SSN, I moved to a new job, cleaning cars for avis at Logan international. Working 12 hour shifts, 6 days a week to make as much money as I could. I have to say it was one of the hardest jobs I ever did, I actually lost a stone in weight while working there! Now instead of driving about in a hire car I was cleaning them for those that were, talk about the other side of the coin.

Anyway it was hard work, but what the hell I sucked it up got on with it and had a fantastic summer in Boston. Then used my savings to drive coast to coast in the US, an amazing experience let me tell you. I went to DC the following summer and the story is much the same, tough job, long hours little money.

So I have seen both sides of life in the US, Americans are workaholics, I know that now, they get sod all holidays. All that being said I love the US, growing up in Ireland I have been subjected to much of the American culture, Ireland has turned into a sort of mini America, plenty of (unevenly distributed) wealth, people working long hours, outrageous property prices, long commutes in the car to work and so on.

But when it comes down to it, I love the US, it’s a great place and I would love to go and live there given a chance. NY city is my most favourite place in the world, and I want to be able to say I have lived there for at least one year of my life.

My second Point, US IT job market.

If I may quote you – “FYI, I got Master Degree in Microwave Engineering from a Swedish University and have professional certifications in IT and have been working for 7 years in IT field.”
“A+ certification, MCP and Oracle 10g certification in IT.”

You are very highly qualified, I am not sure what country you are from, some where in Aisa? But If your GC does not work out and you want to make some serious cash, come to Ireland, with experience like that you could be earning 60/70k (euro). As for working in the us, if you get the right job and can convince employers of your worth, you could be looking at 100k plus in any of the east coast cities. This is no word of a lie. Don’t forget that America is a highly capitalist place, US employers will pay you well if they need you and you are a good engineer. It does not matter where your from and what your background is, with qualifications like that you could do very well in the US.

As lucyMo said, “You are coming to the US with the right to live and work here.” Just because you will be an immigrant, it 'should' not mean you are a second class US citizen. Maybe the reality is different, I dont know. I think you underestimate your worth.

Right enough of my usual ranting!

Oh, LucyMo while I am here, you seem to have a great command of US immigration I have a question for you! Now that I have filed an app. For a GC via the DV what would happen if I tried to enter the US on a visa waiver? I regularly visit friends in the US east cost is only 5 hour flight from Dublin, as I said I am in no way intending to enter the US to work legally it would literly be a week or two holiday. Now I am thinking that I may not be able to go back to the US till post October 08 whether or not I end up getting a GC. So I will not have the chance to vist some of my close friends for nearly 16/17 months? Any thoughts on this scenario? Thanks in advance lucy.

AntonLou, good luck making your mind up, I have colectivey spent about a year in the us over the last ten, if there is anything I can help you with post away… :)

Hi Alemitmee,

Thank you very much for your post. I am a Nigerian and has been working in IT for about 5 yrs now.Your post has really given me the push i needed.
It is not like i do not know my worth but relocation could so challenging.
Just wanted to have an idea of what is obtainable there in the US.

Thank you once again.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your kind support email, LucyMo and Alemitmee.

Alemitmee,
Thank you for your info about Dublin. it is very interesting. Could you please tell me where I can find info about working in Dublin?. I searched on net there is brief info only.

Regards,
AntonLou

Now that I have filed an app. For a GC via the DV what would happen if I tried to enter the US on a visa waiver?
I don't know if you are eligible for a visa waiver after you file an immigrant application. You should read up on that. However, using the analogy with a non-immigrant visas, you may be questioned about your immigrant visa application, and if you cannot prove that you don't intend to stay (and that you will return to Ireland for consular processing), the immigration officer may simply turn you around. You may be denied entry.

I don't know if you are eligible for a visa waiver after you file an immigrant application. You should read up on that. However, using the analogy with a non-immigrant visas, you may be questioned about your immigrant visa application, and if you cannot prove that you don't intend to stay (and that you will return to Ireland for consular processing), the immigration officer may simply turn you around. You may be denied entry.

That’s more or less what I though. Thankfully here in Ireland we clear US immigration while still in Ireland, so if I was to go and be denied all I would really lose would be the price of a flight! I would not even have to leave Ireland.
I suppose I could bring a letter from my employer stating that I am on annual leave and that I will be returning to work.
I have been in an out of the US so many times I am sure they would not think I wanted to stay!
If and when I am going I will have to look into my visa waver eligibility. Thanks for your comments LucyMo! :)

OMG I had NO idea that I may not be able to enter the US in between sending back after the first NL and the possibility of getting an interview etc???!!

I have to go to Wash DC in January to represent my university on a 2 week program at UMD. AHRGHRHGRHGR

Any idea where I could get any other information? I am just about to book my flights too and cannot risk losing $3000 and a major part of my masters degree because of this! Argh!!

We are on a visa waiver as I am from Australia.

It seems unrealistic that you cannot travel to America for a holiday when I have had is my first NL and even by January 08 my number isn't going to be current?

I can understand if it is 'in between' in the process aka you have been allocated an interview or something, but there is no guarantee that my number is ever going to be current?

If anyone can post a link or knows of a page that has more information on this, I'd be extremely grateful! :)

Thanks for all your help Lucy!!