Laptop

lil_joe

Registered Users (C)
Are we allowed to work on our laptops while waiting for the interview and oath?

I know cellphones should be turned off. How about laptops or netbooks ?

thanks

thanks

I didn't see anyone bring laptops/netbooks when I had an interview. I think they are not allowed as well.

I doubt a laptop is allowed. I remember the San Francisco DO doesn't even allow camera phones inside the building, on OR off, and one either has to leave the camera phone in the car or across the street at a restaurant for a fee. HUGE pain.

$675 application fee and no free Wi-Fi :).

I've seen a couple of people (probably lawyers from the looks) tap away while waiting. No anti-camera-phone warning signs, either (just turn off). It would not hurt to call and ask.

I made calls and answered emails from my smart phone while waiting for my interview. I don't think it will be a problem using a laptop. This was the Chicago DO. Oath was a different story, we were required to turn off our cell phone so as to not interrupt the Oath or speeches.

If I remember correctly, my DO - Norfolk, VA did not allow any electronics that can be recording devices. They had huge signs outside about what's not allowed in the building. Since you have to pass through a metal detector and they x-ray all bags they would find anything one tries to bring in. Luckily it is a small DO without any long wait times!

thanks
Every DO has its own policy on whether laptop, cellphones, etc are allowed. You'll need to check with your DO to find out.