landing experience

Landing

Hi,

I received my passport back with the Canadian PR and I'm required to land in Canada before June 30 06.

question:

I've a valid H1B I-797 approval notice, but the H1B visa stamp in my passport has been expired a couple of years ago.

Am I allowed to return to the US , after the landing, without going for the latest H1B stamp in my passport?

Thanks
ind

Yes under AVR. I went from Rainbow Bridge to Canada and came back next day in the 1st week of April. No problems at all.

B4 and B4A forms

marooti said:
Yes under AVR. I went from Rainbow Bridge to Canada and came back next day in the 1st week of April. No problems at all.

Hi all,
A couple of questions on the Goods to Follow forms.
I downloaded two forms from the Customs site.
They are named B4A and B4E.
I could not find a plain B4 as quoted by some of us here.
Are these the ones to be shown to customs on landing.
B4A seems straightforward.
B4E has a title called "Personal Effects Accounting Document
Settler ,Former Resident, Seasonal Resident or Beneficiary "
It also asks for the name and address of Importer.
I live in India. So am I supposed to give my Name and home address in India. ?
And do I repeat all that is listed out in B4A form in this as well ?
Thanks

Nigel.

question about goods to follow at landing

hi, guys,

I recently landed at vancouver airport. the process was alright. but the officer didn't take my list of goods to follow. she told me if I am going to bring the stuff later by myself, as long as I can prove it is my own belongs with receipt for high value article, it is fine. so wondering if anyone has similar experience. can I still provide a list of goods to follow later?

thanks,
anstoss

Hi marooti,

Thanks for your reply. Could you tell me what documents I need to carry to complete the landing process?

My plan is to return to US in earliest possible time, probably the next day. what should I ensure to make this possible?

thanks
ind

Need your landing papers and passport only. I carried my all the degrees and experience certificates also. And of course my current H1 visa.
If you are applying for your SIN card then make sure the next day is a working day.

indgc123 said:
Hi marooti,

Thanks for your reply. Could you tell me what documents I need to carry to complete the landing process?

My plan is to return to US in earliest possible time, probably the next day. what should I ensure to make this possible?

thanks
ind

Could you provide more details about you landing and returning process. Thank you!

Could you provide more details about you landing and returning process. Are you on H1 or AP when you returned to US via Vancoucer airport.

Thank you!

anstoss214 said:
hi, guys,

I recently landed at vancouver airport. the process was alright. but the officer didn't take my list of goods to follow. she told me if I am going to bring the stuff later by myself, as long as I can prove it is my own belongs with receipt for high value article, it is fine. so wondering if anyone has similar experience. can I still provide a list of goods to follow later?

thanks,
anstoss

Landing at Peace Arch , Vancouver

Landed at Peace Arch , ( BLAINE post , Vancouver, BC ) on May 6th

No major issues. 40 minute long line of cars being Saturday.

My current status is H1B and have a valid US Visa in my passport. Family on H4 .Took my own SUV ( registered in my name but not titled ). Landing papers were sitting with me since Jan 06 with the expiry date of May 12th

2.15 PM - Canadian Border on I-5 N

Questions by border entry agent :

Q : Purpose of visit to canada ?
A: Landing with 2 more family members - ( I hand over passports )

Takes out a printed yellow form ( means you 'll be sent to immigartion ) and starts scribbling starting with vehichle # plate.

Q: OK , So all of you 3 landing together.
A : Yes

Q : Are you carrying any money with you ?
A : Yes , $8000 USD in cashiers checks

Q : Are you going to stay here for minimum 12 months or going back after landing ?
A : Going back asap , our destination is Toronto - and we will shift later this year

Q: Any dutiable items , cigarettes , tobacco ...
A : No

Q : OK , take this form , park you car and go & meet the immigration officer inside ( points to the glass door office)

Immigration officer ( young lady , looks east indian by appearance )
Repeats similar questions and gets the same answers

Takes COPR and starts making enteries on her computer and on our papers. Notes down funds. Did not bother to see the cashiers' check.

Did not accept my relatives Toronto address for sending PR Card and tells she cannot mail it to unknown address and suggest when you land finally , you can apply by mail or by fax by giving permanent address. ( hands over the form )

Before taking signatures inside the green box on COPR asks questions on : conviction of crime , barred from entry into any country , any charges ? all answers were "NO"

I questioned her - How do I enter Canada again without the card ?

Reply : You 'll show on the border this last copy of COPR and they 'll let you in. ( she staples 3rd copy of COPR next to IM-I Visa ) - stamps passports with date, crosses IM-1 visa with pen.

I do not question her back - even though I have my doubts - because the COPR Copy says " Not valid for travel " - but on the other hand I feel - may be they 'll allow us if entering from US only.

Also she hands over 4-5 photocoied pages which are standard reading literatures for new PR's , hands over canadian flag to my son and asks us to meet Customs on the opposite side.

CUSTOMS

I have already filled in B4A Forms "Goods to follow" in multiple copies. Neatly typed and valued each item with the gross total of $8k

Agent takes out blank "B4" form and starts filling it up . Notes down my cars details on B4 ( in the space for automobiles ) , VIN # , value which I give him thru copies of Registration certificates.

Q : I am going to need you address
A : I dont have address in Canada ,

Q : OK , you can write your US address
I give him my US address and he fills it in B4 form. Ticks Right bottom box for "Settler". Now staples 2 forms together ( B4 + B4A ) . Makes a hand entry in his register and assigns a no. Hands over one set to me.

I question to him : What if I decide to sell one of my cars before coming ?

Agents : Its OK , You can do that - we 'll strike out anything which is in the list but not with you at that time however , any thing apart from the list may attract custom duties. Also explains , if you bring in the cars duty free and sell them with in 1 year you 'll have to pay duties.

So practically , I cannot buy any stuff till I enter Canada and also cannot sell any stuff after I enter for atleast 1 yr :)

He explains again : Before you import cars - you 'll have to export them thru US Customs with a clear title.

That's it . Total time approx ( 20 + 15) minutes

We collect all the papers , passports and get in our car and drive down Hwy 99 to Surrey ( 5 miles ) . Eat nice Punjabi lunch , shop around a bit and back on border in about 2 hours.

US Border : 5.15 pm

Surprisingly , There are no cars at all , no wait - straight pulled up the car to the US agent and hand him our passports.

Looks thru passports and usual questions

Purpose
Where do you stay
Where you work
What do you do
Why were you in Canada : He has no issues at all when I tell him that we were here for landing at Candadian Immigration post ( which is just behind him ) and returning back now.

Agent : I can see you have valid visas but pretty old I 94s - He then takes out an ornage slip , scribbles "renew I 94" and sticks to my wind shield and tells me to park and meet Immigration officer inside.

Inside Immigration office . No line at all Same drill , goes thru passport, visas , I797 s and starts preparing new I 94 on his computer . Takes pictures , fingerprints us and prints out new I 94 and charges $18.00 ( $6 a piece) - This was the first time I paid for I 94 . looks like they have started collecting after implementing US-VISIT.

We collected all documents and hit I-5 S for Seattle for the same day return.

Thanks to all of you guys for contributing your detailed experiences at each and every stage - In case you have any question , please post and I 'll try to reply asap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Using AP for canada immigration?

Currently, we are in USA with Adjustment Of Status (I-485 pending). I have no H1B visa or status any more. However, I have valid EAD and Advance Parole.

We applied Canada PR as a backup for US immigration. Our Canada immigrant visa (PR) was approved and we need to land in Canada before June 2006 to complete the immigration process. (My Canada visa expiring in June).

Therefore, I want to complete the landing process before the expiry of visa, to keep the option live. Also, I want to come back US immediatly, by using advance parole, after completing the landing process in Canada.

Is there any risk in landing in Canada to complete PR process with Advanced Parole document? Will there be any problem at POE in USA while coming back ? Will the usage of AP for this (Canada immigration) purpose jeoperdise my 485 application?

Here is My case

Gurus,

Please let me know how long it will take after sending the documents(FBI,PCC and medicals) to NY office.

I have got Interview waiver,I have couple of questions,

1)what is my next step like landing documents or sending passport?
2) How long should I wait for complete the process?
3) I am on H1-B 7th year extention expiring on march 07 and want to be get revalidation in canada on the same day of landing , what would be the procedure to cover all ?

I would really appriciate if any one can help me in this.

can_card said:
Currently, we are in USA with Adjustment Of Status (I-485 pending). I have no H1B visa or status any more. However, I have valid EAD and Advance Parole.

We applied Canada PR as a backup for US immigration. Our Canada immigrant visa (PR) was approved and we need to land in Canada before June 2006 to complete the immigration process. (My Canada visa expiring in June).

Therefore, I want to complete the landing process before the expiry of visa, to keep the option live. Also, I want to come back US immediatly, by using advance parole, after completing the landing process in Canada.

Is there any risk in landing in Canada to complete PR process with Advanced Parole document? Will there be any problem at POE in USA while coming back ? Will the usage of AP for this (Canada immigration) purpose jeoperdise my 485 application?

Be prepared with good answers which are convincing to both sides - You may have to do some explaining to Canadians and also little bit to their US counterparts. You cannot avoid that.

One suggestion : If you do not give Canadians any Canadian address and tell them that you plan to shift later in the year and at a different port , they 'll be happy to hold your physical PR Card untill you reach Canada finally. Similarly, You do not have for SIN #. You 'll be however, considered PR and will be allowed inside either on COPR + Passport or at the most have to apply for $50 re-entry permit at any canadian embassy for atleast 3 more years. This will keep your Canadian options open for another 3 years.

I can safely guess that you'll be asked more questions by Canadian POE with respect to current status in US , employment , timeline , etc. because you 'll be standing in front of officer for atleast 20-30 minutes. So naturally , more questions. On the other hand Canadians do not mind if you are shifting later and they very well anticipate that. One caution : Both agencies share their data bases extensively.

Also , crossing the border on a busy weekend might be helpful.

US ( POE ) are more bothered about genuinity of person and the documents one is carrying. On the other hand Canadians do not mind if you are shifting later and they very well anticipate that.

FYI : people who are landing after 3 rd May will be given 50% landing fee back and forms are available on CIC web site. :) Bad News : You have to be in Canada to apply for refund. :rolleyes:

air_canada said:
Be prepared with good answers which are convincing to both sides - You may have to do some explaining to Canadians and also little bit to their US counterparts. You cannot avoid that.

One suggestion : Avoid giving Canadians any Canadian address by telling them that you plan to shift later in the year and at a different port than what you have in COPR and they 'll be happy to hold your physical PR Card untill you reach Canada finally. Similarly Do not apply for SIN #. You 'll be however, considered PR and will be allowed inside either on COPR + Passport or at the most have to apply for $50 re-entry permit at any canadian embassy for atleast 3 more years. This will keep your Canadian options open for another 3 years.

I can safely guess that you'll be asked more questions by Canadian POE with respect to current status in US , employment , timeline , etc. than US.

US ( POE ) are more bothered about genuinity of documents you are carrying. On the other hand Canadians do not mind if you are shifting later and they very well anticipate that.

FYI : people who are landing after 3 rd May will be given 50% landing fee back and forms are available on CIC web site. :)

Now , one thing is for sure : both agencies share their data bases extensively.

By avoiding

Thanks Air canada ..

My doubt is whether using AP while returing jeoperdise my GC (485) in future?

At POE in Canada, if the officer asks me "what status in US?" I have to tell the truth that I am in AOS for pending GC. If I say that, will he deny the Canada PR? What could be the best answer in that situation?

At the same way, while returing, at POE in USA, if the officer asked "why did you go Canada?", If I answer that I went for landing to become a PR. Then he may say that my 485 is pending (based on my AP) why did you accept Canada PR? How to overcome this situations? Please advise ..

can_card said:
Thanks Air canada ..

My doubt is whether using AP while returing jeoperdise my GC (485) in future?

At POE in Canada, if the officer asks me "what status in US?" I have to tell the truth that I am in AOS for pending GC. If I say that, will he deny the Canada PR? What could be the best answer in that situation?

At the same way, while returing, at POE in USA, if the officer asked "why did you go Canada?", If I answer that I went for landing to become a PR. Then he may say that my 485 is pending (based on my AP) why did you accept Canada PR? How to overcome this situations? Please advise ..

I can safely guess that there is going to be questioning on your current status, motive , job , timeline and what not by canadians and you must be prepared with some very convincing answers. I have no idea on the consequenses - My guess is that they 'll let you in but will not issue you a PR and will tell you to apply for it when finally in canada. ( Its POE officers duty to apply for your PR )

No one will have exact answers and consequenses to the questions posed by US POE . Try to be genuine and tell them about expiry of landing documents and the hefty fee you paid 3-4 years back much before you applied for US PR.

There are some people in the forum who crossed over successfully on AP. You may have to talk to them and find out.

gckalafda1 said:
Gurus,

Please let me know how long it will take after sending the documents(FBI,PCC and medicals) to NY office.

I have got Interview waiver,I have couple of questions,

1)what is my next step like landing documents or sending passport?
2) How long should I wait for complete the process?
3) I am on H1-B 7th year extention expiring on march 07 and want to be get revalidation in canada on the same day of landing , what would be the procedure to cover all ?

I would really appriciate if any one can help me in this.

Have you sent Medical , PCC etc. already - If yes ,

Next step : Buffalo Passport request should come . Passports are returned with in 15 days with IM-1 Visa stamp along with COPR ( Confirmation of PR ) also called as Landing papers.

Follow : www.yogi799.com to check timelines at Buffalo and see how long its taking after medicals to get PP request.

Revalidation : What to you want to do ? Do you want to get a new visa in your passport ? http://www.amcits.com/ on how to get US visa in Canada
There may be 2-3 months wait time to get your appointments

Also , If you have a valid I 797 with an expired visa , you can re- enter US . I guess this process is called re-validation.

air_canada said:
I can safely guess that there is going to be questioning on your current status, motive , job , timeline and what not by canadians and you must be prepared with some very convincing answers. I have no idea on the consequenses - My guess is that they 'll let you in but will not issue you a PR and will tell you to apply for it when finally in canada. ( Its POE officers duty to apply for your PR )

No one will have exact answers and consequenses to the questions posed by US POE . Try to be genuine and tell them about expiry of landing documents and the hefty fee you paid 3-4 years back much before you applied for US PR.

There are some people in the forum who crossed over successfully on AP. You may have to talk to them and find out.

I have seen some peoples had a bitter experience in landing and coming back with AP. If any officer at POE (either US or Canada) happens to know that I-485 is pending in US, they are giving hard time at border post. Travalling with family with small kids facing the problem at border is a big pain. Therefore, I do not want to land and come back in AP. My candian visa is expiring soon. What I can do in this situation, to keep the canadian option is open? Can we ask canadian embssy to extend the visa by one yer? Will they accept that? With in a year, I hope my 485 in US get approved (EB2-PD May 2004). Advise please..

Gurus..Post your advise..

Landing experience through Ambassador Bridge

I landed in Canada on Apr. 9th from Detroit through Ambassador Bridge with rented car. Based on information in this forum I stopped for exit interview at US immigration post near bridge. On reaching there they asked me whether I was asked to take any picture any time. I said no. Then they said I need not have to appear for exit interview & they handed over me every thing.
I crossed bridge & at the Canadian side entry booth I handed over the landing papers & passports. He noted few things & asked to drive to immigration & customs office area. I drove over there and went to immigration office. On reaching there, I handed over all passports for me, my wife & 2 children, along with landing papers. She asked me to give an address. I gave a friend’s address. On signing the landing papers, as I was told, she told PR cards will be sent to the address in 4-6 weeks. No discussion about the picture. At customs I handed over the goods in possession & goods to follow lists with approximate value. They asked me whether I am importing the car. I said no. She handed over a paper along with copy of list of goods to follow. She also asked me whether money in possession is more than $10,000. But since I had only $700 along with bank statements, no more questions.
On completing this process we went to small town where I wanted to complete office work. We applied for SIN number in that town on 10th morning with passports & stamped immigration papers. I was told I will receive these in 4-6 weeks also on my friend’s address.
On Tuesday 11th Apr 2006 morning we came to Windsor & crossed Ambassador bridge. At USA immigration post we stopped the car. I handed over my passports, approval notices & I-94. I didn’t have valid stamped visa, but I did have old visa. I am in 7th year of H1B extension. He looked at paper work and asked where I live. I told I live in USA. He asked why did I went to Canada. I told for landing as permanent residence. He asked why I was landing in Canada as I am living in USA. I told him my green card is in process & would prefer to live in USA but mean while I completed the landing process. No more questions & he let me go. So Automatic Visa Revalidation works. I had Visa stamping appointment in Canada on 12th morning but based on information in Forum I did not took chance of stamping. After I came to USA, I cancelled the appointment.
If you have questions please email me on mravan67@yahoo.com since I won’t be reading forum regularly. I would suggest to read Forum info thoroughly before emailing me.

After medicals...How much time left for landing papers

I gave medicals and sent FBI clearance card & India PCC to Canada consulate Buffalo NY. What is the next thing? Could anyone please tell me how much time will it take to get landing papers?

mystatus123 said:
I gave medicals and sent FBI clearance card & India PCC to Canada consulate Buffalo NY. What is the next thing? Could anyone please tell me how much time will it take to get landing papers?

Next step : Buffalo Passport request should come along with few more documents requirement such as proof of funds and landing fee ( ROFL ) Right of landing fee . Follow : www.yogi799.com to check timelines at Buffalo and see how long its taking after medicals to get PP request.

Once the request comes send in passports along with your landing fee ( if not already paid ) along with a prepaid / self addressed USPS Express Flat rate envelope.

Passports are returned in this envelope with in 15 days with IM-1 Visa stamp along with COPR ( Confirmation of PR ) also called as Landing papers .

Safe to assume that your passport request will come within 7-8 months of your medical date and same medical date in 2007 will be your last date to enter canada.

Has anybody landed in Ottawa airport for PR?

Hello, I am planning to land in Ottawa airport on Monday, 22nd May for PR. Has any one landed in Ottawa recently? If yes, could you please post your landing experience?

Appreciate your Help.

With regards,

VKR2002

How to confirm that Medicals are gone thru???

THANKS ALOT AIR_CANADA.
How can I confirm that my Medicals are reached Canadian consulate and How to know that I am passed the Medicals?

air_canada said:
Next step : Buffalo Passport request should come along with few more documents requirement such as proof of funds and landing fee ( ROFL ) Right of landing fee . Follow : www.yogi799.com to check timelines at Buffalo and see how long its taking after medicals to get PP request.

Once the request comes send in passports along with your landing fee ( if not already paid ) along with a prepaid / self addressed USPS Express Flat rate envelope.

Passports are returned in this envelope with in 15 days with IM-1 Visa stamp along with COPR ( Confirmation of PR ) also called as Landing papers .

Safe to assume that your passport request will come within 7-8 months of your medical date and same medical date in 2007 will be your last date to enter canada.