landing experience

No immigration through Thousand Island Bridge?

skyneel said:
Hi,

I would really 'preciate it if someone could share their experience with landing to Canada through the Thousand Islands Bridge.
I will be landing in a few days.

Thanks in advance.

I just found out..I am not sure.

**urgent Help**

Hi
I got temporary visa stamped on my Passport to enter canada for completing PR process . Unfortunately it was valid only for 6 months and it got expired as i was under the impression i can enter anytime with in a year . right now what is my options to enter canada ? I have to enter Canada and return back immediately with AVR , as i do not want to go for stamping for US H1 visa .
Thanks
Sathish.N

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the "temporary visa" you are talking about says "immigrant visa"?
It expires 1 year after the last medical exam date, e.g. mine happen to expire in 2 months after issue. My papers say that once issued the expiration date cannot be extended and you would need to re-apply again - "use or loose it".
I believe you cannot "land" with expired visa, though you can try if it is just a short drive for you.

You can write to them asking to extend/issue new visa. State that you are ready to take new medical exam ASAP and to provide updated police certificate, proof of funds, etc.

BTW, you should be able to get back your ROLF fee if you did not land for any reason (visa exprired, changed mind, etc).

Sathishk said:
Hi
I got temporary visa stamped on my Passport to enter canada for completing PR process . Unfortunately it was valid only for 6 months and it got expired as i was under the impression i can enter anytime with in a year . right now what is my options to enter canada ? I have to enter Canada and return back immediately with AVR , as i do not want to go for stamping for US H1 visa .
Sathish.N

Hi ,
Thanks for the reply . I did send them mail last week , till now waiting for the answer . hopefully i get something positive .
Thanks
Sathish

Does anybody plan to landing at Toronto recently?

We are living in Washington DC area. We want to go to Toronto recently to pick up GC. If someone wants to go to Toronto, we could share the expense by sharing car. If you are interested, please email to chu4_5@yahoo.com. Thanks.

Landing Question

:confused:

If one's sponsored applicant (spouse) is landing in Canada, does he/she need to carry any funds of settlement along with him/her? If so how much funds?

Had anyone had a similar experience when they have sponsored their spouse while staying in Canada and subsequently the spouse landed?

Can I come back same day?

Hello Gurus,
I am planning to land in Canada in first week of Nov. I am thinking of entering via Peace bridge NY. Once after landing in Canada can I come back immediately say after 2 hours ? Do I've to tell the Canada immigration officers that I'll be going back to US immediately? Is it allowed to land on weekend ?
Also is it mandatory to apply for SIN after you land as immigrant or I can still apply for it later sometime?
Would really appreciate if someone could reply.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
D S

Landed via peace bridge Oct 05

Owing it to this forum I want to make sure I post our (me and my wife's) landing experience which will help others.

I rented Budget Rental from Rochester Airport. Drove 1.5 hours via peace bridge into Canada (to Fort Erie ). Its a very positive experience. Americans don't take your I-94's when you cross the border.

At the toll post in Canada lady there asked about our visa status. I said we are landing today. She directed us to immigration office. She asked is this your car. I said no its a rental.

I removed I-94 from the passport and kept it in my pocket (learnt from this forum and it was a good hint as sometimes Canadian immigration officers take them away).

At the immigration office they once again asked is this your car? I told my car will be following in few days. They did not ask me anything about how many days I am gonna stay or anything. The officer welcomed me and my wife both of to Canada after completing necessary paper work (they revoked the stamp in the passport, took the paper that consulate sent us, made us sign them and stamped our passports with "became PR on" stamp.

Then he explained our rights and what Canada means to people. HE said it means I am home. I didn't even remember conversion rate. I said I have brought 10K USD he says how much is it in Canadian dollars etc. I converted incorrectly. But that was OK. Then he sent me to another counter to declare total goods and money to follow. Folks make sure you have list ready. I did not. I and my wife spent 10 mins listing all the goods such as Microwave etc. You don't have to be detailed. The whole proc took around 20 minutes. How unbelievable.

After everything going well we took off to Niagara City. Folks make sure that you are converting KM from the road signs to Miles on your maps to not get lost. Enjoyed Marvellous Niagara Falls from Canadian side. Its like an amazing show running in US theatre with Balcony in Canada.

Entered back into USA from Rainbow bridge within 4 hours of landing. And there they sniffed cars with dogs, asked many questions, took my car aside asked about Tobacco / Alcohol.

I have changed employer recently and the stamp in the passport is from old employer. That was not an issue. They did not even ask for the H1 approval notice. Valid I-94 was the savior.

The questions that US immigration officers asked :
Where do you work?
Whose car is this?
When did you go to Canada?
What did you go there for?

I told them I landed in Canada for PR and he was quite Ok with that (May be happy). So just give the right answers because they have your passport and they can know about your landing in Canada.

That's all I remember.

Thanks

Congrats on successful landing and thanks for sharing your experience.
From your post it seems that you didn't apply for SIN, so its not mandatory to apply for SIN after landing?
Also upton return, did the US side officers ask you any question about how come you are coming back same day etc?

Thanks,
D S

CA_LC said:
Owing it to this forum I want to make sure I post our (me and my wife's) landing experience which will help others.

I rented Budget Rental from Rochester Airport. Drove 1.5 hours via peach bridge into Canada (to Fort Erie ). Its a very positive experience. Americans don't take your I-94's when you cross the border.

At the toll post in Canada lady there asked about our visa status. I said we are landing today. She directed us to immigration office. She asked is this your car. I said no its a rental.

I removed I-94 from the passport and kept it in my pocket (learnt from this forum and it was a good hint as sometimes Canadian immigration officers take them away).

At the immigration office they once again asked is this your car? I told my car will be following in few days. They did not ask me anything about how many days I am gonna stay or anything. The officer welcomed me and my wife both of to Canada after completing necessary paper work (they revoked the stamp in the passport, took the paper that consulate sent us, made us sign them and stamped our passports with "became PR on" stamp.

Then he explained our rights and what Canada means to people. HE said it means I am home. I didn't even remember conversion rate. I said I have brought 10K USD he says how much is it in Canadian dollars etc. I converted incorrectly. But that was OK. Then he sent me to another counter to declare total goods and money to follow. Folks make sure you have list ready. I did not. I and my wife spent 10 mins listing all the goods such as Microwave etc. You don't have to be detailed. The whole proc took around 20 minutes. How unbelievable.

After everything went well we just took off to Niagara City. Folks make sure that you are converting KM from the road signs to Miles on your maps to not get lost. Enjoyed Marvellous show of Niagara Falls from Canadian side. Its like an amazing show running in US theatre with Balcony in Canada.

Entered back into USA from Rainbow bridge within 4 hours of landing. And there they sniffed cars with dogs, asked many questions, took my car aside asked about Tobacco / Alcohol.

I have changed employer recently and the stamp in the passport is from old employer. That was not an issue. They did not even ask for the H1 approval notice. Valid I-94 was the savior.

That's all I remember.

Thanks

Landed by car through Ambassador bridge

Friends,
I completed my landing formalities on 12th nov 2005. I went through Ambassasor bridge. It was very simple.I returned on same day. Both canada and USA immigration was quick and simple. I did not have my valid I-94 and valid Visa. I have a valid AP only. Secondary inspection took 15 mints to replace my old I-94 with new I-94. Thanks for this forum

To Roger4gr; Can you please tell us in more detail about your entry with Advance Parole?
What happened with the first inspection then the second inspection, what kind of question they ask you, did the U.S immigration officer see your Canadian immigrant visa on the passport if so what was his reaction ? and did the U.S immigration officer look through every single page in your passport or he/she did not bother to go through your passport? Did they stamp your passport?

Landed last week

Hello,
I landed as immigrant last week through Peace birdge, Buffalo NY.
I rented AVIS car from airport, drove to peace bridge. Do not depend on directions from Yahoo, they were totally wrong from downtown to peace bridge. Finally I had to follow the sign posted on streets.
Once you cross the bridge and go thru the Canadian security check post, its too tricky to go to the immigration office. Its immediately on the right side after you cross this check point. I missed it and had to take next exit on QE parkway, come back to peace bridge and again enter the US and had to take a U turn back. It was quite frustrating. But managed somehow to find the immigration & customs office in next attempt.
At office there was no rush at all, I was the only one for PR. Lady at counter stamped my pp, saw cashier's check and asked me to go to customs counter. Officer over there was playing games on his computer. I greeted him and he handed me over the goods to follow form. Finished that formality, came out, drove and took the immediate next exit and came back to US border.
At US border there was long line of cars. Had to wait for about 15 minutes for my turn. US officer saw my pp, asked why am I going to US, why was I in Canada, if I've Canadian PR now why I wanted to go back to US and blah blah.. later he said fine, go ahead.
Good luck for all you guys...

I completed the landing process earlier this week. The whole process was very smooth. There was no line at the immigration. The lady double checked the info in my passport matched the info on the COPR, she then stamped the passport and re-directed me to a kiosk where they gave me literature/forms. Then I went to customs, where I submitted my goods to follow. I did not have any goods to declare at that point.

The officer there looked new coz he could not answer a few of my questions and could be least bothered to look much, he just browsed through the list and stamped it. I noticed that there was a couple right next to me (on another desk) who were from a middle eastern country and they were really being put through hell.

Then the officer went to the main desk and brought me my docs with a receipt of approval and I was good to go. Also, they require 2 copies of goods to follow list and they retain a copy of it.

Then I applied for the SIN as well and was ready to return to the US. The return was a breeze (using a valid student visa and I-20). Came back to the US after 4 days.

FAA

Here is my landing experience by road.
We drove be rental car from NY to Toronto via Thousand Islands. First we stopped at US custom side and declared that we are taking more than US$10,000. We took 2 forms so that one they can keep for record and other they signed and gave us back (keeping one copy is not essential but we did). Then we drove to Canadian side. The person who was sitting on window took our passport and asked what we are carrying in car and directed to go to window no1 with yellow receipt.

There is separate window for Canada immigration processing at window 1. They officer asked our passport and CORP papers. He asked me few questions:

1. Is this your final move or when you are moving?
2. What is address you like to give for pr card?
3. Is this a friend or family address? Or you will be living same address when you move permanently?
4. What you do in US?
5. Why did you apply your PR in Hong kong not in US or India?

I was prepared to all the ans by reading discussion forms. After those questions he realized that he is asking too many questions and he said “asking all that questions is not my business”. Then he becomes very friendly and starts talking to me, my wife and our 14 months old son. He attached copy of copr to our passport and told that pr card will be mailed in 4-6 weeks to given address

Then we approached to custom. We have good to carry list, good to follow list, original car title, original car registration, jewelry photos and deceleration of money that we are taking with us in form of cahier check.Total time for complete landing is around 30 mins and we were first one there so no waiting time. Then we head to custom shop in Canada and exchanged usd with Canadian$.

We stayed in downtown Toronto for 2 days. We applied SIN card, open the bank account, drive to Mississauga to meet few friends, went to outlet mall there.

While driving back we stopped at US side via Lewiston Bridge. They checked our passport and I94. My wife has expired visa but valid I94. They took our I94 and stapled the I94 to passport that is at bottom of approval notice. I asked why they took our pen filled I94. He said this is same I94 but that is computer generated and issued in US so keep that one. We can not ask lot of questions to them why they are doing this but I am not very happy that they took our old I94. I also declared that I am bringing more than US$ 10K to USA to us custom.. Then we drive back to home.

Here is few things want to share with you guys:

1. Be prepared with all the paper and make different envelope with different processing so everything is handy. Don’t play with bag up and down when they ask any paper.
2. Be prepared with all the ans when they ask on both side of border
3. Take out I94 from passport when enter in Canada
4. Try to be legal as much as possible means declaring the money both sides is just single page work.
5. Try to drove be rental car not your own car
6. Make sure your insurance company cover rental car in Canada.
7. All forms all available on net so filled them at home and keep ready
8. took one set of photo copy of all the documents for yourself
9. Try to use few words then telling whole story what happened and what your plan is.

In the last, thanks to this discussion form and you guys for all the support and information that I received from you.

question

dear,

is bank statement ok or it has to be a cashier check to prove funds available.

do i have to apply for SIN when I land or i can do this later via mail?

thanks

Landing experience & Automatic visa revalidation

Hi Guys,

As a regular visitor to this forum I would like to share our experience during the landing process in Canada and returning back to the US using automatic visa revalidation.
I am on H1B status with valid H1B visa and valid I-94. My wife is on H1B status with expired H1B visa (expired in August 2003) and a valid H1B approval notice (valid till Aug 2006). My child is on H4 as a dependent to my wife’s H1B, child’s passport is with valid H4 visa and valid I-94.

We boarded our flight from San Jose, CA to Toronto changing flight at Chicago. At San Jose our passports were checked to Canada visa before giving our boarding passes. No one asked for our I-94 copies. We however removed and kept the same separately. At Chicago when we were waiting at the gate to board our flight to Toronto the lady at the gate made an announcement saying that all the non US and Canadian citizens to meet the immigration officers waiting near the gate. There were 3 officers with an electronic gadget that looked like a handheld terminal similar to the one used by the rental car places when you return the car to scan your car’s bar code and give a receipt. The immigration officers scanned our US visa page (expired or unexpired – it doesn’t matter) in our passport into the device which popped our information on the screen. They asked us to keep our index fingers on to a small window on the device and took picture using the same device. Then they gave a small print out 2x2 that reads US-Visit Homeland security and our name. This slip is necessary to board the flight that leaves US.

When we were ready to board the lady at the gate asked our I-94s for which I replied that we are returning next week. There was no issue she let us inside the flight.

In the flight we were given customs declaration form which we filled out in flight. After we landed we proceeded to immigration section where we told an officer that we are landing today to get PR. We were guided to a waiting hall and asked us to wait. Few minutes later a day from one of the cabins in the hall took us inside. She welcomed us to Canada and asked for our passports with landing documents. She asked for the proof of funds (we took cashier check of USD 13500 and travelers Check worth USD 500) which we showed. Later she asked about the address where we are going to stay. We gave our friends address in a printout. She wrote the address on the landing documents and told us that we will be getting the PR cards in mail in the next 3 weeks. She also told herself that ask our friends to mail (FedEx) the card to us in the US which is needed to get in Canada the next time. After completing the paper work she told us that we are now Canadian PR and guided us to another gentleman. He gave us the SIN application forms/ Health coverage forms and brochures that welcome us to Canada.

The next day we visited the nearest office (SIN) and applied for all three of us including our child who is 11 years old although it is not a must for the child until certain age. The officer there recommended us to apply for the child as it may prove helpful in case one is interested in child tax rebates. The next two days we went for sight seeing in Toronto/Niagara. Although it is not my first visit Toronto I would admit that I visited lot places this time that too using public transport. There is a family day pass for only $8.00 total that one can use for unlimited travel by subway/bus for a day. One can get this pass from one of the subway stations.

The third day we had an early flight to the US leaving at 6.30 in the morning. We reached airport at 4.00AM. We got our boarding pass and had to take all our bags including checked bags inside to the US immigration. We waited in the line. We were asked to fill out the customs declaration form and I-94(if necessary). We filled customs form and mentioned $14000 we are carrying with us. We also filled in fresh I-94 forms just in case. US immigration hall opened at about 4.30 AM. As were the first few we were inside immediately.

Immigration officer asked our passports. I kept my wife’s H1B approval notice handy. The officer quickly scanned our passports and kept mine and our child’s passport away. He took my wife’s passport and asked for the approval notice. He said we need to attach the bottom portion of the approval to our passport all times. There two portions at the bottom of the approval notice. According to him both the slips need to be attached to the passport. He started explaining the automatic visa revalidation process by saying that one can use it when returning from Canada/Mexico within 30 days. He advised my wife to apply for visa during next travel outside the US to any country other than Canada/Mexico. He asked for new I-94 form only for my wife. He corrected the country of residence to Canada instead of US after asking if we were landed immigrants. I looked at him a little puzzled. He asked me where will I go if I loose my job in the US,” Is it not to Canada?” I said yes. “Then your country of residence is Canada”. He attached the new and old I-94s to my wife’s passport. He stamped a port of entry stamp with date on all our passports. He entered our respective status on the stamp with approval notice number and validity date. We thanked him and he wished us all a safe flight. Overall he was the most courteous US immigration officer I came across.

He also looked at our customs declaration form and after seeing the currency portion he asked me how much I am carrying. Then he guided us to a special room in customs. Customs officer took the form and asked us to show the money. We gave him the cashier check and travelers check. He looked at the back of cashier check and told us if the cashier check is not signed at the back it is non negotiable instrument hence no need to declare it. We came out and handed our checked bags and passed through the security to board the flight to the US.

I hope this story helps the people who are planning to land.

How come they let your wife in without a valid US visa. According to my understanding, the 30 days limit for expired visa is no more valid, and one, even if he/she has an approval notice, needs to get a new visa stamp.

Or is this 30 day limit still valid for Canadian permanent residence?

If this is true, than is it possible that one can take a route to Pakistan or any other country for that matter through canada with an expired H1 visa (valid I797 form)? The reason I am asking is that, if one applies for H1 visa revalidation in canada or pakistan, it may take several months to go through security checks etc. So just wondering...

30 days limit still valid

zakiahmed said:
How come they let your wife in without a valid US visa. According to my understanding, the 30 days limit for expired visa is no more valid, and one, even if he/she has an approval notice, needs to get a new visa stamp.

Or is this 30 day limit still valid for Canadian permanent residence?

If this is true, than is it possible that one can take a route to Pakistan or any other country for that matter through canada with an expired H1 visa (valid I797 form)? The reason I am asking is that, if one applies for H1 visa revalidation in canada or pakistan, it may take several months to go through security checks etc. So just wondering...

The 30 days limit for expired visa is still valid. We went over to Canada in Dec 30, 2005 with expired visa stamp (H1B and H4) on passport, and renewal I797 approval. We came back to USA the same day. The officer didn't see my approved renewal first. But, when I pointed the paper to her, she let us through without any further delay. Also, I read from an attorney website about this issue. As long as you come back to United State from Canada or Mexico within the 30 days limit. You should be fine.

If you are Canadian permenant resident, you could renew your visa stamp in any cities in Canada where there is a USA consulate. My friend just renew the visa stamp on the passport in Toronto.

http://www.nvars.com/
Beginning March 17, 2003, ALL landed immigrants in Canada (including those individuals from a British Commonwealth country) seeking to enter the United States as non-immigrants must possess a valid passport and non-immigrant visa in order to enter. Please note that there is no change to the Visa Waiver Program in place for the countries participating in that program.
Note: Appointments are required for ALL visa applicants residing in the Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Calgary, Halifax and Vancouver districts.

**Residents in Canada should apply in their own consular district**

However, if you travel to Pakistan through Canada, there is always a chance that you passport will be stamped when you go through Pakistan immigrant or the Canada immigration when you return from Pakistan. If this is the case, the USA immigration office will NOT allow you to enter to United State. Again, from that attorney's website that I read, a person went to a country other than Canada and Mexico didn't allow to come back without a valid H1B visa stamp on the passport eventhough that person has a approval I797.