landing experience

ahalem said:
Hi all , I got my landing documents yesterday with valid visa for 3 months , I am currently in USA with an expired H1B visa stamp on my passport and valid extension for the H1B.

My employer recommend to go to the US consulate on Toronto to obtain new stamp which is risky in case of rejection. Also the employer ( legal dept ) told me that returning back to USA with in 30 days with expired visa on your passport is no longer valid law on USA ? Would you please confirm that ? I am seeing many landed immigrated who returned back to USA with expired visa on this forum ? So how is that possible?

Please advice.

We just landed in Canada on June 29 and returned successfully back USA July 1. At USA border, we showed passport with expired USA visa and valid H1B extension/I-94. Only thing I did was finger print and $6 charge for each person. I don't see any problem with that. I carried 2 latest paystub and a letter from employer, but never used them.

Hi lhy,

Thank you , this is really good news for me .

Just a quick question , is that standard procedure , do you know where I can find the regulation for this law which state that ? I searched the boarder control website with no hope.....

lhy said:
We just landed in Canada on June 29 and returned successfully back USA July 1. At USA border, we showed passport with expired USA visa and valid H1B extension/I-94. Only thing I did was finger print and $6 charge for each person. I don't see any problem with that. I carried 2 latest paystub and a letter from employer, but never used them.

Original I-94

Hi Friends,
I just received my final approval notice from CIC and planning for my landing.
Here are some questions you might be able to help:
1. I have H1 visa in the US, do I have to bring the original I-94 card with me? The employer is holding the orignal copy currently.
2. What other documents you think I will have to bring other than the passport and documents from CIC?
3. I am thinking of changing a job by doing H1 transfer? What is the risk by doing that before my landing? What if I finish the H1 transfer with premium filing and receive the approval notice and have the new I-94 in hand?
4. Do I have to use a local permanant address for landing? eg. If I land in Vancouver, can I use an address in Toronto?

Thanks a lot,
cice

ahalem said:
Hi lhy,

Thank you , this is really good news for me .

Just a quick question , is that standard procedure , do you know where I can find the regulation for this law which state that ? I searched the boarder control website with no hope.....

I found all these information from this site.

Hi, hly,
Which border did you use? Were you asked any questions about the purpose of your travel and how did you answer?

My initial I-94(F1) was taken away by Customs when I left US, do you think it would be a problem returning to US? I came to US with F1 visa and later changed to H1 and I have never left US before.
Should I tell the Customs officers about landing Canada or just tell them I was visiting friends or taking vacations if asked about the purpose of travel to Canada?

I appreciate your advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to Canada last week to complete my immigration process. I went via Peace bridge Buffalo and I rented a car from Avis. I have asked few other rental car companies but most of them don’t let you drive the car into Canada. Avis did not have any objections on this matter. Other thing which I have realized that 4 day car rental price is the same as 7 day (week) rental so if you are planning to go for few days then it might be good idea to take it for whole week.

On the border there were no issues. First he asked me apart from my personal belongings, am I bringing some goods/tobacco/alcohol. Answer was no so he guided me to the building and I think he called that building too to make sure I go there. Because as soon as I was parking in front of building, 2 officers rushed outside to look for me to that I don’t run away (I think). Inside first immigration, then customs.

There was no line. Immigration lady was nice and I think she was new as she was reading questions from a sheet. She asked for proof of funds and address. I gave my relatives address and showed the bank check for funds. She asked few other questions like when I am going to move here and if I have ever been arrested in Canada? She also reminded me that in a 5 years period I have to live 2 years in Canada otherwise I will loose my permanent residence and she told me that my PR card will arrive in mail in 4-6 weeks. As I don’t know when I am going to go to Canada permanently so I did not apply for health insurance card or bank account.

Customs.
Lots of new people at the counter and there was no line. They asked among their staff, who has done customs for immigrant then a lady showed up along with 2 new officers. She was teaching them.

I did not write each and every piece in the goods to follow list. I have summed up many things together like bedroom furniture or personal electronics. She was asking me to provide some more details and at the same time she was telling 2 new ones that they should ask for the as much detail as possible as there were cases when people brought their stuff after 10 years. I think the good to follow can be brought many years after landing but I did not ask her how long this list is valid.

It took half an hour their then I went to Toronto and I came back after 3 days. At the border it smooth again and USA officer asked how long did I stay and where. Then he said I am ok to get in.

Q. I did not get a new I-94 card and neither did office made entry stamp in my passport showing that I entered USA on that date. Is this normal? I heard that if some one is visiting Canada less than 30 days then they don’t get new I-94 card but what about entry stamp? Could any one highlight this issue?

Hi Dolkemaake,
thankx for sharing your experience. you said: "I was carrying USD 10,000 (5000x2) in banker's checks, but was not asked to show them anywhere." i'm wondering if this is a common case. do i need to show proof of funds if i'm returning to the US right after landing? can they accept bank statements?
it's a lot of questions, but i really appreciate if you could help me out here.
anyone else who reads this thread, your help will be much appreciated.
thank you all.

money issues

For landing you can use bank check / money order / bank statement.

Regarding bank statements using as proof of funds is a tricky. There are many threads here on this forum saying that they did not have any problem using them. If you are planning to use to bank statement as proof of fund then take a ATM receipt showing balance when you leave USA and also take some amout as a bank check.

Now do you have to declare funds at the border.

It depends. For this purpose bank statements and ATM recepits do not count.

Only CASH, Money order, bank check, Traveler check count.

But It also depends how many are you. If I am not wrong then you can have 10000 $ per person and does not need to delcare it when you enter back inot USA. If customs officer asks then ofcourse you need to tell how much do youh have with you at that time. If you are carrying more than 10K and you don't tell/delcare funds and afterwords if custom officer figures it out then you could be in trouble.

Unlike most of you I am from Toronto and do not have a car.I got my landing papers last week. What is the best way to complete landing process for Canadian Immigration? Can I go to Niagara Falls by bus, walk across the Rainbow Bridge next to the falls and complete the landing process? Is there any other way to get this landing done for people without car and license?

Please advise.

Thanks.

landing experience and medical surveillance

I just wanted to share my landing experience with others. I landed in Canada in the last week of July. I drove to Canada with a rented car and entered Canada through Sarnia. The Canadian officer asked me proof of funds. I had a cashier's check in my name that I carried along with me. My wife had to be under medical surveillance because of inactive TB. Once we reached our destiantion in Canada, we notified the medical office in charge of this and told them that we would be leaving Canada after a week. So, she told that we had done the first part, which was informing them that we had landed. She told that when we would come back later, we would have to re inform them as they would re open our case and start the medical surveillance formalities.

Please advise...

I have H-1B extension(Stamping expired), also Advance Parole (from I-140/4-85 pending case). Currently I am working under EAD. I have to land Canada by Oct 20, 2005 for PR. Can any one share their landing Canada and Returning US reexperiences? Has anyone had any issue with enering US with advance parole?

Someone told me that I'll have to stay Canada until I receive the card which takes 30-90 days. Is that true?

Landing experience.

Hello everybody,

Finally I landed in Canada after very long 22 months , I landed through the peace bridge to Toronto with no issue.
The landing took 20 mins, very smooth with nice smile and welcome to Canada from every body.
I did U-Turn and went back to USA, no question on canada side, in the USA side it took me 2 hours through the US immigration between can not find my name , date on the visa is not clear or even the computer is down , digital camera is disconnected :)

but it all ended well on both sides, best luck to everybody who is doing landing.

My recommendation : Go through Peace bridge and not rainbow ,too busy on both side.

Landing and Returning with AP in AOS

Hi Friends,
I like to finish landing process by next week. I am in adjustment of status(pending I485). I like to land and return back in week through windser.
Is it make any problem in my I485 pending application in USA. One of my friend went for landing with Ap,he is also in AOS. In canada side officer said that if you land here your I485 will be abanded like that. He returned back to USA with out completing his landing process. It is confussing ...Please advise..

Landing to Canada at Seattle - Vancouver border

Hi,

Did any one landed Canada by road from Seattle recently? If so please share the experience.

I am planning to complete the landing process on Oct27th. Also planning to come back with in 2 days.

Thx.

Seattle-Vancouver landing with GC

Please share landing and US re-entry experience.
Complications- already have US GC and do not want any trouble :)

Any possible issues with USCIS?
Have everything in US (home, job, family, taxes paid, car), nothing in Canada (just a Canada PR visa in passport).

Thousand Islands Bridge

Hi,

I would really 'preciate it if someone could share their experience with landing to Canada through the Thousand Islands Bridge.
I will be landing in a few days.

Thanks in advance.