landing experience

Hi smxhan, jalma, and others

1.how did you guys showed the proof of the funds. did you take Certified bank check with you or just bank statement will do?

2.Did you applied for SIN card and medical insurance card.Can we apply this close to Niagara,ON region or only apply to the area where we have given our address in Canada?

3.I suppose you should get your PR card in mail within 4 weeks.didnt you ask them if they could send the PR card thru mail? if we have to get PR card in person, then we have to visit Canada again and i suppose they will hold the card for only 180 days. Any comments on this?

Thanks.

1) I showed bank statement

2) The office of HRDC told me that SIN may get rejected coz u should apply close to the address u provide.

3) I tried to ask if they can mail us and I was told that I will hear from them to pick it up.

1.how did you guys showed the proof of the funds. did you take Certified bank check with you or just bank statement will do?

I took cashier check and also bank statement. Showed them both.

2.Did you applied for SIN card and medical insurance card.Can we apply this close to Niagara,ON region or only apply to the area where we have given our address in Canada?

I applied SIN at the office near to the place i stayed. My guess is you can apply to any office. But make sure about it.

3.I suppose you should get your PR card in mail within 4 weeks.didnt you ask them if they could send the PR card thru mail? if we have to get PR card in person, then we have to visit Canada again and i suppose they will hold the card for only 180 days. Any comments on this?

I asked them if i get it in mail. They said you will get a letter in the mail telling you to pick them up at your nearest location. My guess is either they don't know that all the new immigrant are getting there cards in mail or this is something new which none of us is aware of it. Lets see what happens after 4 weeks.

Jaggy,

There is an immigration dept in every terminal of the airport. They remain open at all the time when flights are coming. So you don't worry about it. I am not aware if any of the border or POE ever close.

Here are the numbers for all the terminals:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Tel: (416) 973-4444 or Tel: 1-888-242-2100 - General Info
Terminal 1 - (905) 676-3911
Terminal 2 - (905) 676-3690
Terminal 3 - (905) 676-5316

Good luck

Jalma said:
As long as you are not travelling in a commercial carrier (BUS, plane, train and ship), you can use the same landing paper to cross border as many times as you want like driving a rental car, in a friend's car and by foot etc.

If you want to use commercial carrier, then you have to get a temorary resident visa to enter canada from the consulate nearest you.

Thanks, Jalma. In other words, you get to keep your landing papers (which you get before landing) after landing?

Thanks so much smxhan, jalma, and others
Actually I looked into the Canada HRDC website and it says that SIN card will be sent by mail only. I didnt see any latest updated information regarding the pick up policy. I suppose you should get it very soon thru mail.

Also does anyone applied for Ontario medical insurance card after your reach Canada?
If so , what are the documents needed for the eligibility criteria?
My understaning is you have to physically present in Canada for 3 months to become eligible for medical insurance card.Also you have to show the proof of your address in Canada(like telephone bill,utility bills, credit card bills etc.,)

So I am wondering if anyone who applied for the medical card, came back to US and got the card thru mail?
Your inputs are highly appreciated
thanks.

landed at buffalo airport - took a rental car from enterprise and informed them that I will be driving to Toronto - Had to show bank check worth at least 10,000 CAD or a bank statement which was at most a week old - also had to give a local address where they would send me a letter and ask me to come and pick the PR card - ( so that means I have to make this trip again ) - was informed that unless i get the PR card, car is the only way I can enter Canada - drove to get the SIN number - didnt open any bank account or get any medical card, since I have to complete some work commitments here - drove back to the US without any issues - only question I was asked at the post - 'why are you coming to the US? what are you bringing with you?' - my answers ' I work here. only gifts and souveniers' - No issues driving back to Buffalo and then the airport.
Easy - simple and without hassles.
Anyone wants to land there - my advice - which is free -
- take a bank check with at least 10000CAD.No need to deposit the amount there.
- get a local address they can correspond at
- get a SIN number
- no need to get bank account and medical card unless you plan to stay there from that day

Congratulations for becoming PR. The only thing i noticed different is now they are telling everyone at peace bridge that they will send letter to pick up the PR cards. This was not the case before.

So guys who will be landing at different port of entry, please do post your experience as what they have to say about the PR card.

I would rather save the trip especially with kids.

It really depends on who you get as immi officer. I know people who landed via peace brdge and got their PR cards mailed.

smxhan,

Does it mean that we will also get our PR cards in mail or its the choice of the officer how he set one up for the PR card. Please clarify........ I am confused.

I am planning to land in Canada for the Thanks giving.

1.Which will be the better place to land based on the traffic volume and also a smooth immigration process?
Peace bridge in Buffalor or Rainbow bridge or Lewiston bridge in Niagara?

2.Does anyone applied for medical insurance card once you landed in Canada? really appreciate if you could write your experience on this.

3.AFter landing in canada thru Niagara is it possible for me to exit Canada thru a different port like Thousands Island bridge in Alexendria bay?

I will keep you posted with my landing experiences.

From what I know , usually the immi officr tells you whether it will be mailed or needs to be picked up.which means that it depends on how he/she set it up.

At least I know those who were told that it will arrive in mail did get it in mail.

Need Help Pleasee

Hi ALL:

I have Canadian Immigration Visa for me and my wife expiring in February 2005. Is there any way to have extension of VISA?

The problem is I am on F1 Visa in USA and also have Immigration Petition filed by my US Citizen Parents. So I doubt that I will not be allowed to enter back in USA on my F1 Status.

Thanks all,
Bobby.

I think you might be able to

You need to check out these sites

http://www.immigrationlawweb.com/temporary-visas-expired-visas.htm

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi_waivers4.html

Bobby11 said:
Hi ALL:

I have Canadian Immigration Visa for me and my wife expiring in February 2005. Is there any way to have extension of VISA?

The problem is I am on F1 Visa in USA and also have Immigration Petition filed by my US Citizen Parents. So I doubt that I will not be allowed to enter back in USA on my F1 Status.

Thanks all,
Bobby.

pr card

I agree with smxhan.Some are lucky - some are not. Honestly, the lady at the post seemed indifferent when I landed and I did not find the air of friendliness everyone talked about.So my experience was pretty cold.Probably the first one on this forum.But then I might have been spoiled by excellent and warm service everywhere else in the world.
-lrugnevm

I am going to be landing in Canada in Mid January by air. I have read many times not to surrender I-94. why is that? I have a valid multiple entry H1B? Should I hang on to my I-94 or surrender if asked? I want to avoid any potential problems.
I am also taking CAN$12500 which is now over US$10,000. I will declare the amount as it is mandatory. Will this create any problems?

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/money.xml

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The law states that if you are going to visit Canada for less than 30 days then you dont have to surrender the I94 card however if you fly then they do ask for the I94 card. You can try to resist and tell them about the law which is called the contiguous territory rule and if they give you a real hard time then keep copies of the I94 card both front and back so that while coming back to US you dont have any problem. Also they will give you another I94 card while coming back if they take your I94 while entering

I-94 Surender

Jaggy Veer ji
Please let us know the name of the web site or other athentic
proof /Sourse of your information which explains about the law so that people can carry the same with them to avoid surendering of I-94 while traveling to Canada less than 30 days.