landing experience

Rental Car

I took a rental car from Enterprise,just inform them that you are going to canada,so they are going to put that one in your rental aggrement.

Hi lrugnevm

Just out of curiosity. You are flying to Buffalo airport and then taking a rental. Why dont you fly to toronto directly instead. I am coming from new england area . So its about 8 hours drive for me. Air tickets are too expensive at last moment.

I have also heard that enterprise does not give out one way rental. But hertz or budget do.

Any inputs on that.

that would be expensive for me

Hi smxhan,

I checked the prices for flying in to toronto directly. That turns out to be more expensive.( 150 additionally).
also, with a car, I could possibly drive and see how things go.

As Vijay117 mentioned, enterprise seems to be ok with the booking as long as they are informed that the car will be driving in Canada.

Since I am flying in from Florida,

Flight to Toronto+car+hotel

is more expnsive than

Flight to buff+car+hotel.

I did a last minute booking too. therefore the rates have been exorbitant.
If I had more time, I would have planned better;)
I would be driving back in the same car after 4 days.SO it would not be a one way rental.

-lrugnevm

we will see how it goes.

Did you look at earlier posts where some guy landed by two way rental and he could not land.

I dont know how true that is.

landing/exiting info.

Hi vijay117 and others,
When you exit the US to Canada by land (car) how do you inform the US immigration about your exit? Do you show them your I94, handover the original or a copy of the I94 OR just cross the border without informing them? Thanks.

Medical Surveillance within 30 days

My wife had to see Medical Surveillance within 30 days of landing and I was wondering if anyone has done this after entering Canada?

Since I am not moving this time to Canada,I dont think I have to do Medical Surveillance right now. My understanding is when I move to Canada permanently, then I have to do this. any views on this?
will that be a problem if we didnt do after landing Canada for the first time?

I will be visiting for a week to Canada,finish all the formalities and come back to US.I will go back to Canada after 6 months of time.
Any suggestions, please welcome
thanks

Proas999,

My understanding is that if you are entering Canada and returning to US in less than 30 days, then you do not have to surrender your I-94, nor do you need a new I-94 when you return to US.

Now, I only read this, I have never actually entered Canada, so please confirm with more knowledgeble members

love2002 said:
My wife had to see Medical Surveillance within 30 days of landing and I was wondering if anyone has done this after entering Canada?

Since I am not moving this time to Canada,I dont think I have to do Medical Surveillance right now. My understanding is when I move to Canada permanently, then I have to do this. any views on this?
will that be a problem if we didnt do after landing Canada for the first time?

I will be visiting for a week to Canada,finish all the formalities and come back to US.I will go back to Canada after 6 months of time.
Any suggestions, please welcome
thanks

Hi
I had the same situation as my wife was required to seek Medical Surveillance. Actually, when you land in Canada, your wife will be asked and signed on a paper that she will carry out Medical Surveillance within 30 days. What you have to do is just call a number they gave you along with Medical surveillance and they will transfer your call to the particular health dept. in your city. This local health dept. will ask you to fax the Medical surveillance form and they will say "You will get health card after 3 months so we will write you a letter after 3 months and follow the instruction afterwards"
Hope this will help.

hi gunarp
thanks for your reply.
Have you landed in Canada already or planning to land soon?
I spoke to the health authority in Toronto,Ca and since I am not going to stay in Canada for more than a week this time, they mentioned I can do it later when I move permanently to Canada.
I suppose they are concerned about this only when we move there permanently.
In that case, I dont think we have to do this time.
But do we have to report about the medical survillenance to the immigration officer when we cross the border?
Thanks

love2002 said:
hi gunarp
thanks for your reply.
Have you landed in Canada already or planning to land soon?
I spoke to the health authority in Toronto,Ca and since I am not going to stay in Canada for more than a week this time, they mentioned I can do it later when I move permanently to Canada.
I suppose they are concerned about this only when we move there permanently.
In that case, I dont think we have to do this time.
But do we have to report about the medical survillenance to the immigration officer when we cross the border?
Thanks
Yes I already landed a couple weeks ago and also applied for the health card as the Health Department said "Once you will get the health card we will write you a letter so that you don't have to spend any money"
Also informing health department about your landing and revealing Medical Surveillance form at the immigration officer is a must.
Thanks,

My Landing experience and time line

Here is my timeline:
Applied: October 19, 2001
AOR: October 28, 2001
IA: November 6, 2002
Medical: May 13, 2003 (Expired on May 13, 2004)
New born medical: Jan 21, 2004
Passport request: October 29, 2004
Passport Stamped: November 9, 2004 (Personally gone to Buffalo for stamping)
Landed: on the same day i.e November 9, 2004 at Peace Bridge around 3pm.
(Just asked for proof of funds and canadian address. Lady officer was very friendly and said "Welcome to CANADA" after completing all the formalities). I had two-way rental car.
Back to US : on November 14, 2004 at Rainbow bridge on my H1-B visa stamp and valid I-94 cards. No unusual experience.

It took 3 years to complete the whole process. I am glad its finally over.

landing exp

Landed last week on Fri via rental car
canada side
Immigration: Asked for proof of funds & address & said will be asked to pick PR
Customs : asked for good to follow list.

US side

Checked Visas and I-94s

smxhan,

Did you land at the peace bridge. They also asked me that you will get a letter in mail asking you to pick up your PR card at the location closest to your address.

I thought the officer got confused with the people those who applied within canada and hence thought not to bother about it as almost everyone is getting them in mail.

yes I did. I thought they used to mail us the PR card but from my exp I think I was told that I will be asked to pick it up.

Do you know of any web site where we can check the status of PR application. I have seen some peoples exp that they were mailed PR card after landing.

PR card pickup

Hi smxhan, jalma, and others,

In the event they ask you to come pick your PR card in person- what's the procedure to enter Canada again (after the first landing)? Do you apply for fresh Canadian visitor's visa or something? Thanks.

As long as you are not travelling in a commercial carrier (BUS, plane, train and ship), you can use the same landing paper to cross border as many times as you want like driving a rental car, in a friend's car and by foot etc.

If you want to use commercial carrier, then you have to get a temorary resident visa to enter canada from the consulate nearest you.

Jalma and others pls do reply

I am landing on the thanksgiving day and coming back on the same day. Will there be a problem since it is a national holiday (while going to Canada and also while coming back)

reply will be greatly appreciated!!
Jaggy