Laid off. Please suggest

forumhelp

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am on H1B with my current employer who has filed my GC. I have the EAD, I140 is approved and its been more than 180 days for I485 being pending.

Talking to couple of people and reading posts in one of the forums, I think that the safest option will be to find an employer and get my H1B transferred. If I do this:
How much time do I have, to find a new employer if my last date is 31st January?
I have read that I can try to keep the current priority dates. Does the GC process need to be restarted from Labor?
Can my current employer cancel I140 or I485?

Please suggest. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Hi,

I am on H1B with my current employer who has filed my GC. I have the EAD, I140 is approved and its been more than 180 days for I485 being pending.
-----------------You are eligible for AC21.If the employer revoke the I-140 still you are eligible for AC21 if you get job with other employer and new employer is ready to give you job offer letter.
Talking to couple of people and reading posts in one of the forums, I think that the safest option will be to find an employer and get my H1B transferred.
-----------------find new employer let him file H1 transfer and once you get H1 transfer filing reciept join new employer and then invoke AC21 with pending I-485
If I do this:
How much time do I have, to find a new employer if my last date is 31st January?
---------------If you want to join with H1 transfer then find new employer ASAP so that your H1 transfer petition reach USCIS before 31(so that employer dont revoke your H1 by writing to USCIS)I have read that I can try to keep the current priority dates. Does the GC process need to be restarted from Labor?
---------------you have your I-140 approved and I-485 Pending more than 180 days. your PD remains the same.
Can my current employer cancel I140 or I485?
--------------Your employer canot cancel your I-485 it is your petition. Employer can revoke I-140 but you are eligible for AC21.

Please suggest. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Keep the valid EAD with you as back up. if not applied EAD then apply for EAD directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Ginnu for your quick reply. I have couple more questions.

You wrote: "find new employer let him file H1 transfer and once you get H1 transfer filing reciept join new employer and then invoke AC21 with pending I-485

1. Sometimes it takes longer to get the H1B receipt. Can I file AC21 only after getting the H1B receipt? If yes, what shall I do if I don't receive an the H1B receipt till 31st?

2. Can I request my employer to not to cancel I140 and give me a little more time in case I cannot find something before 31st? Does the employer has any restriction to cancel I140 immediately after 31st?

3 My current job is not into consulting. Will it be okay if I look for a consulting company if they are ready to give me the same title and then work on projects for the new consulting company?

Thanks.

Thank you Ginnu for your quick reply. I have couple more questions.

You wrote: "find new employer let him file H1 transfer and once you get H1 transfer filing reciept join new employer and then invoke AC21 with pending I-485

1. Sometimes it takes longer to get the H1B receipt.
---------one gets H1 filing reciept after 10-15 days after H1 transfer filing petition reach USCIS. FYI one can also join new employer if the petition has reached USCIS.
Can I file AC21 only after getting the H1B receipt?
-------------------one should file AC21 when join new employer.
If yes, what shall I do if I don't receive an the H1B receipt till 31st?
----------------- you can file AC21 later when join new employer.
2. Can I request my employer to not to cancel I140 and give me a little more time in case I cannot find something before 31st? Does the employer has any restriction to cancel I140 immediately after 31st?
---------------- It not must that employer should revoke the I-140. if you think that employer is not going to revoke I-140 that is ok.
3 My current job is not into consulting. Will it be okay if I look for a consulting company if they are ready to give me the same title and then work on projects for the new consulting company?
---------------------- You can join any company that is ready to offer you job and then give you permanent job offer letter with same/similar job duties as on your LC. you can get permanent job offer letter later when join new employer and you need that letter to invoke AC21 with pending I-485.
Thanks.

---------

One word about getting an H1 for the next employer ... don't bring up the H1 possibility until after they have given a written job offer, because H1 and visa paperwork scares away some employers and recruiters. Mention it after you have the offer, and then use the EAD if they are unwilling to file the H1 or it looks like they would take too long to get the paperwork going.

Ginnu, Other helping volunteers,

The new empoyer is ready to give an offer letter with the similar job title and duties. He is suggesting not to do AC21 now to avoid any other documentation or queries from USCIS. If there is any query in future then he says at that time we will file AC21. The employer says that there is no law that you have to do AC21 and it does not help in applying or there is no harm in not applying.

I would like to be proactive. At the same time, I want to confirm here if I should go with his suggestion? Could you please suggest what do you think will help.

Thanks

The new empoyer is ready to give an offer letter with the similar job title and duties. He is suggesting not to do AC21 now to avoid any other documentation or queries from USCIS.
--------------He is wrong. If you don’t file for AC21 now then USCIS at this time is asking many documents through RFE and also sending NOID. File the AC21 to avoid more documents if USCIS send RFE. If USCIS sends NOID then more documents from employer / delay and more fee to lawyer to reopen the case.

If there is any query in future then he says at that time we will file AC21.
----------------then be ready for more documents in RFE or NOID. at this time USCIS is sending list of many documents for H1 and for AC21. better file AC21.
The employer says that there is no law that you have to do AC21 and it does not help in applying or there is no harm in not applying.
------------------- let him read the MEMO and AC21 Law is still not published.
I would like to be proactive.
------------------------------file AC21
At the same time, I want to confirm here if I should go with his suggestion? Could you please suggest what do you think will help.

Thanks
-----------------

Thanks Ginnu for your reply. In your answer below, what document do you think will be needed AC21. I have submitted all the documents for H1. I had to send all the documents which I have. Are there more documents for AC21?

----------------then be ready for more documents in RFE or NOID. at this time USCIS is sending list of many documents for H1 and for AC21. better file AC21.

Thanks Ginnu for your reply. In your answer below, what document do you think will be needed AC21. I have submitted all the documents for H1. I had to send all the documents which I have. Are there more documents for AC21?

For H1 Transfer you have sent the documents to employer and lawyer of new employer knows what is needed for H1 transfer.
Don’t mix H1 transfer with AC21 filing.

AC21:Once you join new employer then new employer should give you a permanent job offer letter with same/similar job duties. For request to invoke AC21 you will need the new employer permanent job offer letter with same /similar job duties/skills +copy of your I-485 filing receipt +cover letter for request to invoke AC21 with pending I-485. If you don’t understand you can take the help of new company lawyer or can hire your lawyer or can file AC21 directly.

Matthew Oh Attorney Reporting

10/23/2008: Increasing Customer Reports of Denial of AC-21 Ported I-485 Applications Without NOID by USCIS Upon Petitioner's Withdrawal of Approved I-140 Petitions·
USCIS Adjudicator Field Manual (AFM) Section 20.2(c) which incorporated the so-called AC-21 Memorandums released by Yates, Ayes, and Neufeld indicates that AC-21 ported I-485 must be denied if the petitioning employer withdraws the approved underlying I-140 petition if the alien ports before 180 days of I-485 filing, but if the employer withdraws the approved I-140 petition for the alien beneficiary who ports after 180 days of filing of I-485 application, such I-485 application should not be denied. The Memorandums and the AFM further provide that when the agency has no record of the ported alien's proactive report of AC-21 portability report in the file when the petitioner's withdrawal is received, the agency "must" issue Notice of Intent to Deny (NOID) pending I-485 applications rather than outright denial of I-485 applications.

· At the outset, we must clarify one key point here. The memorandums and AFM are neither rules nor laws and have no legally binding force. No one will dispute on this point. However, the memorandums and AFM provide guidance and internal processing standards for the adjudicators, which the petitioners and the beneficiaries of petitions and applicants rely on as the guidance, policy, and practice of the agency. For these reasons, even though the menrandums and AFM are not legally binding, the adjudicators should adhere to the guidance to meet the expectation of the customers.

· We have no detailed information on the reasons for reported denials of the ported I-485 applications. At this point, all we can discuss are the potential causes and reasons for denials.
Issue of Employer's Intent of Continuing Offer of Employment or Alien Employees' Retaining Continuing Intent to Work for the Petitioning Employer at the Time of Approval of I-140 Petitions: The Memorandums and AFM provide that "throughout" the process, the petitioning employer and the alien employee must retain this "intent" at least "at the time of approval of I-140 petitions." Employer's statement of withdrawal and accompanying materials may offer some evidence for the agency to reviisit the approved I-140 petition and revoke the approved I-140 petition on these issues. Such decision comes within the authority of the agency as inerpreted by the agency in the form of Memorandums and AFM. We cannot dispute with such decision.

Issue of Failure to Issue NOID Before Denial of I-485 Applications: As we discussed earlier, the alien beneficiary may rely on the Memorandums and AFM and expect to receive a NOID and an opportunity to provide the evidence that establish the eligibility for the portability. The problem is a narrow reading of NOID obligation for the agency under the Memorandums. Arguably, the Memorandums mandate the adjudicators to issue a NOID to collect the evidence of the beneficiary's porting and evidence of eligibility for the porting. However, the foregoing issue of "intent" of the employer and the employee for the petitioned employment appears to fall outside of the AC-21 portability rules. It is more or less the fundamental rule and law of the employment-based immigration petitions and applications.

Issue of Revocation of I-140 Petition for "Good Cause" By the Agency Rather Than Employer's Withdrawal: It is clear that the agency cannot deny I-485 for revocation of the approved I-140 petition simply based on the employer's "withdrawal" of petition. However, the agency is authorized to revoke the approved I-140 petition based on "good cause" including frauds, misrepresentation, and belatedly detected facts that would have caused the adjucators to deny I-140 petitions, had the adjudicators have the information at the time of adjudication of I-140 petition. Again, if the agency denied I-485 applications on such grounds, it appears that the Memorandums and AFM do not mandate the agency to issue NOID before revocation of the petition and/or denial of accompanying I-485 applications.

The real concern involves a question as to whether or not recent denials of ported I-485 applications have been caused by the newly hired adjudicators who are still in training stage. If it turns out that it is a training issue, the USCIS should quickly come forward to correct such problems which unjustly cause the consumers expensive and time-consuming remedial action in the form of motion to reopen or motion to reconsider or even appeal.

*** also read below link:
http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/AILA_28oct08.pdf

The new empoyer is ready to give an offer letter with the similar job title and duties. He is suggesting not to do AC21 now to avoid any other documentation or queries from USCIS. If there is any query in future then he says at that time we will file AC21. The employer says that there is no law that you have to do AC21 and it does not help in applying or there is no harm in not applying.
It is true that it is not actually required to file anything proactively for AC21. If the original employer doesn't revoke the I-140, you almost surely won't run into any issue with USCIS regarding your choice of employmer. However, if the employer ever does ask USCIS to revoke the I-140, it would help if you already sent the AC21 documentation (although sending it proactively is still no guarantee, because USCIS sometimes sends the RFE or NOID anyway without checking that you already sent the AC21 docs).

So I would say whether to proactively send it or not depends on what you think the chances are of the employer revoking the I-140.

Thanks Ginnu and Jackolantern. I will discuss the above points with my employer and definitely try to send the AC21 application.

Please help here.

The new employer filed H1. I want to submit AC21 application. The new employer says that if I do AC21 then that abondons my H1B status and I will be on EAD. He says there are two ways to do it:

Either I do EAD and abondon my H1B status and get on EAD.

Second way is we will have to get my I140 ported to the new company. This is not same as portability with AC21. He is not sure if I will have to restart the labor and I140 again.

He said that now a days USCIS is questioning that if you have the EAD status why do you want to go back on H1B. Are these really the cases? Have I made any mistake by not going on to EAD?

The new employer says that if I do AC21 then that abondons my H1B status and I will be on EAD.

He's wrong.

He said that now a days USCIS is questioning that if you have the EAD status why do you want to go back on H1B. Are these really the cases? Have I made any mistake by not going on to EAD?

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to stay in H1 status. Tell the employer you'd like the H1, and will use AC21 and do not need an I-140 amendment. (There's no way for them to amend the I-140, anyways - it's not their petition to amend.)

Thanks TheRealCanadian,

Please help with two more questions:

So all I need is to submit AC21 application and not to worry about labor application and I140. Am I Right?

My previous job duties had some specific job based duties e.g.: Analysis, design, and develop solutions for airline industry.
I understand that they have to be similar. Is it okay if the new duties say: Analyst, design and develop solutions for our clients? or does it have to be exactly the same. It was really difficult to find something in the same industry.

Thanks TheRealCanadian,

Please help with two more questions:

So all I need is to submit AC21 application and not to worry about labor application and I140. Am I Right?

My previous job duties had some specific job based duties e.g.: Analysis, design, and develop solutions for airline industry.
I understand that they have to be similar. Is it okay if the new duties say: Analyst, design and develop solutions for our clients? or does it have to be exactly the same. It was really difficult to find something in the same industry.

Need not worry about LC and I-140
You can delay the submiting AC-21. I Would wait until i get three payslips. Job descriptions need not be exactly same

The new employer says that if I do AC21 then that abondons my H1B status and I will be on EAD.
Changing jobs with AC21 doesn't cancel your H1B status, if you get an H1B for the next employer. The employer probably mixed up what the lawyer said; if you rearrange some of those words, the statement becomes true ... it is true that if you use EAD to do an AC21 job change, that would abandon your H1B status.