Just came back from country of prosecution

annaraka said:
FOLKS, I have come to the conclusion that it is all a matter of luck. I know of two people who, as asylees traveled to home country with RTDs; twice. One of them has recently received his GC without ever getting an RFE. The other is waiting. They have never had any problems either way. One of them -- the home country had to issue a visa, because they require this for RTD. No problems ever. I think that they never told the IO at POE they went there, they just enumerated the other countries to which they traveled. One other person however, received an RFE for his travel to home country with RTD (asylee). So I say you never know, it is a matter of pure luck.

Well, travelling to what to be "home country" b4 GC is an absolute no no- all the immigration lawyers will agree on that. But as was well said by wantmygcnow it's like speeding - if u r caught -too bad, if not- lucky u.
U r 100% right though - it's a matter of luck. But in the cases u've described they've been playing russian rullet - the cost of bad luck could have been deportation.

Two Gentlmen From Africa I Think Sudan ... Been Arrested In The Airport After Caming Back From Their Country.one Of Them Just Have His Green Card.
Another Lady Travel To Her Country Before She Get Her Green Card .I Think Her Lawyer Submit Same Kind Self-responsability Form (?) In Case Same Happen To Her .
I Remember That The Officer In The Airport Found This Request In Her File .
SO FAR SHE DIDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEM

Jubilee,most people from part of Africa like Ethiopia,Sudan,Liberia,siera Leone... are treated in US as refugees.You need to find out if those folks are asylees or refugees.Cause lot of people are really confused on these two status and how each one works'' on Going back home issue''.
RD Aug 22,2001
GC Sep 20,2005

annaraka said:
FOLKS, I have come to the conclusion that it is all a matter of luck. I know of two people who, as asylees traveled to home country with RTDs; twice. One of them has recently received his GC without ever getting an RFE. The other is waiting. They have never had any problems either way. One of them -- the home country had to issue a visa, because they require this for RTD. No problems ever. I think that they never told the IO at POE they went there, they just enumerated the other countries to which they traveled.

One other person however, received an RFE for his travel to home country with RTD (asylee). So I say you never know, it is a matter of pure luck.

Last time I went abroad the officer in Dallas emphasized that according to law I couldn't go to the home country no matter what and then looked at me as if inspecting whether I had an intention to do that or not. With the expression of naivity on my face I answered that I wouldn't even take chances in this matter and he seemed to be satisfied with the answer and let me in. However, I believe there are some emergency cases that are recognized even by DHS as a valid reason for asylees to visit the country of presecution.The only one I can think of, though, is family emergency.

dardan said:
She will not have a problem with it as she did not travel back there as an asylee, but as a permanent resident.
Even though U got "GC Through ASYLUM" it doesnt mean u can travel to your country of persecution safely. If You can't prove reason of vizit they might REVOKE your GC .
every time u come IN and OUT they will record it on your history and when they will do FBI check on your records on any Immigration issue at that time" Shit hits a Fan". I know there are some countries where u can use "NEW PASSPORT " or just pass a border where nobody gives a damb about your citizinship. :) But dont even think that People sitting in CIA or FBI are the same as Immigration Officers in PORT of Entry. Guys I dont wanna sound negative . I met people who didnt get their Citizinship ., and got their GC revoked . I know it is hard to stay away from home .

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not know why we keep talking about this over and over again. Once you adjust, that's it! There is always a chance that things may change in your home country. Does that mean the INS will strip you form your GC?

So far we have not heard of anyone facing any problem as a result if going back after adjusting their status, so I think we need to chill!

HDS has a list of situations when it's ok to go back. If you are so afraid and ready to sit here when your loved ones need you, then you really have something to hide. I worked in the immigration court as an interpreter for four years. Trust me, they have more important issues to work on than tracking somebody else's travels.

14ksusha said:
HDS has a list of situations when it's ok to go back. If you are so afraid and ready to sit here when your loved ones need you, then you really have something to hide. I worked in the immigration court as an interpreter for four years. Trust me, they have more important issues to work on than tracking somebody else's travels.

14ksusha:

Where is the list? Post it please.

Minsk said:
Last time I went abroad the officer in Dallas emphasized that according to law I couldn't go to the home country no matter what and then looked at me as if inspecting whether I had an intention to do that or not. With the expression of naivity on my face I answered that I wouldn't even take chances in this matter and he seemed to be satisfied with the answer and let me in. However, I believe there are some emergency cases that are recognized even by DHS as a valid reason for asylees to visit the country of presecution.The only one I can think of, though, is family emergency.

If the officer emphasized that according to law you couldn't go to the home country no matter what, he is absolutely wrong.

There is No law that says you cannot get divorced after getting a GC through marriage.
There is No law that says you cannot visit the country of claimed persecution after getting a GC through Asylum.
There is No law that says you cannot quit your job after getting a GC though work.

This is not a matter of Law; it’s a matter of consistency to your application.

jackdanie7 said:
If the officer emphasized that according to law you couldn't go to the home country no matter what, he is absolutely wrong.

There is No law that says you cannot get divorced after getting a GC through marriage.
There is No law that says you cannot visit the country of claimed persecution after getting a GC through Asylum.
There is No law that says you cannot quit your job after getting a GC though work.

This is not a matter of Law; it’s a matter of consistency to your application.

I am sorry. I didn't make it clear. First of all I didn't get my GC yet. So I assume that if you don't have your GC you can't go to the country of presecution while if you have one you can go there in some circumstances. Am I right? Otherwise I believe that if the officer of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection tells me something while being on duty it has some legal power since he does not just express his own point of view.

A medical emergency
A death in the family
A child left behind, experiencing an emergency, and you are the sole parent
Testifying in court proceedings when another persons life is at stake
Religious or humanitarian/medical assistance in times of a disaster

These are some of the examples of excuses for traveling back home that I have seen in the court

14ksusha said:
A medical emergency
A death in the family

These are some of the examples of excuses for traveling back home that I have seen in the court

so in other words if you are that unlucky soul who is caught traveling back to home country and matter reaches immigration judge, the court lets you go if above reasons are presented? Does proof have to be submitted for the situation?
I believe you opinions are very valuable as you have seen this happening first hand... just a compliment.... ;)

Lazerthegreat said:
I believe you opinions are very valuable as you have seen this happening first hand... just a compliment.... ;)

I agree. Thanks 14ksusha for sharing thin information. Please see Private Message ;)

Minsk said:
I am sorry. I didn't make it clear. First of all I didn't get my GC yet. So I assume that if you don't have your GC you can't go to the country of presecution while if you have one you can go there in some circumstances. Am I right? Otherwise I believe that if the officer of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection tells me something while being on duty it has some legal power since he does not just express his own point of view.

From what he was saying, it seems like he was expressing his own view. Before I say anything, let me clarify that I was not questioning your post since I understand you were just trying to share your experience. However, I am questioning the statement that he made to yousince it is not accurate.. Even if you haven't been approved, his statement is still way too strong since there is no such law.

You're right, I have to agree that people with pending I-485s should avoid visiting the Country of Persecution since like we all know, an Asylum status can be terminated if the situation of the COP has changed - visiting the COP will only give them evidence that this is the case unless the person has a good reason for the visit. I will also have to agree that it is also not recommended for those whose I-485s have just been recently approved since it may raise fraudulent flags and per INA Sec 246, the government has the right to rescind your adjustment.

Like I said, this is not a matter of law but consistency. What that officer said to you, "according to law you couldn't go to the home country no matter what" was totally unfounded.

Regards.

14ksusha said:

I agree with you.

14ksusha said:

Ksiu,
Now this is something off the topic of that "Tread", but taking in consideration your expertise in the court I believe that you are very valuable member of this forum and you must had witnessed all kinds of cases. I have a question for you....
Have you ever met an asylee with balls to apply for a naturalization after getting his/her GC not in 4 years but of the grounds of date of asylum granted??? Formula Asylee=Refugee should cut that waiting time of 4 years, and if there is a such case it would probably end up in the court...

14ksusha said:
A medical emergency
A death in the family

Your mean asylee status I485 pending or As6 permanent resident

Just thought it may be beneficial for everybody.

I know a fellow who is a director of a certain aircompany headquaters in Zurich. What he told me once was rather interesting:
He said that the Department of State obliges all carriers for America bound flights to slide all US passports (RTD and RP included) or US visas before boarding. Thus, the US authorities are getting the info of who is coming before the plane even reaches the destination. I never paid attention, but after he told me ,I then started to look out 4 this, and -Bingo - they slided mine and my wife's entry visas (we didn't have asylum at a time).

Now, what do they do with this info... who knows...
Whether this info goes to customs? ins? irs :) But technically speaking it sounds like it's very easy to track anyone's whereabouts (or at least where the person travelled from).

Any ideas, anyone?

solovei said:
Just thought it may be beneficial for everybody.

I know a fellow who is a director of a certain aircompany headquaters in Zurich. What he told me once was rather interesting:
He said that the Department of State obliges all carriers for America bound flights to slide all US passports (RTD and RP included) or US visas before boarding. Thus, the US authorities are getting the info of who is coming before the plane even reaches the destination. I never paid attention, but after he told me ,I then started to look out 4 this, and -Bingo - they slided mine and my wife's entry visas (we didn't have asylum at a time).

Now, what do they do with this info... who knows...
Whether this info goes to customs? ins? irs :) But technically speaking it sounds like it's very easy to track anyone's whereabouts (or at least where the person travelled from).

Any ideas, anyone?

I think they are doing name checks for all passengers on inbound flights against the FBI's watch list.

Very interesting insight SOLOVEI.
Guys...if you want my opinion...DON'T PLAY WITH FIRE.
That's all I got to say...