June 2012 N-400 Tracker

Not everyone gets a YL. One is probably more likely if applying based on marriage (proof of marital finances etc.) and they probably do random spot-checks on others.

Interview letter received.

06/08/2012 - N-400 mailed to Lewisville, TX (DO - Irving, TX)
06/11/2012 - N 400 received
06/14/2012 - Checks cashed
06/23/2012 - Finger print letter received
06/25/2012 - Finger printing done (walk in)
09/18/2012 - Online Status changed to in line for interview
09/20/2012 - Schedule for Interview
09/26/2012 - Interview letter received
10/29/2012 - Interview date
XX/XX/2012 - Oath letter -
XX/XX/2012 - Oath done -

ok, so quick update on my case. nothing good :( I called USCIS again, now for the third time. When I called them last time on September 12, they offered to put in a request for update on scheduling the interview. I did that thinking that would move things faster. I was supposed to hear back from them within 15 days. As I received nothing, I called them again today. The first officer just told me the usual status check that I was put in line for inteview scheduling and should call them back within 90! days if I don't hear anything. I asked to be transferred to a level 2 officer (a trick I picked up here on the forum). Now, this officer told me that an email was sent to me on September 17. I never received the email and she said they can't re-sent it. But that the email said I am in line and to wait and call them back after 90 days from September 17!! Then she talked about me possibly getting an interview in November saying the process takes about 5 months, when I very politely said that should be the whole process, not the interview scheduling, she kept saying I have to wait, and that putting in a request might have delayed my interview. I mentioned that was not explained to me the last time I called and whether it's really now 90 days from September 17 (the date of the email I never received) or from August 3. She kept saying it's from September 17 as that was the text of the email. That just really scared me. I can't believe it. She said it's possible I may get scheduled earlier but that right now that they have not scheduled the interview. I can't believe this. So just a warning to others, do not ask for this request for update as it may set you back. I am still hoping she was wrong and I will get scheduled soon but who knows now. She said I can call back in few weeks but offered no other options. As I have a foreign Christmas trip already booked, I am now really worried. I don't think she was completelly right, as clearly scheduling is not taking 5months in other DOs based on this forum, so I just have to hope that I will get scheduled sooner rather than later. Unbelievable. sigh....

Yes, thats the plan.

The passport services seems super fast. Applied via expedited route and received my passport in 6 business days!

I was just checking various timeline and i saw yours and wow, yours took just 2months and 2weeks to complete the whole process, you are really lucky, though i applied in May,2012 ;( still waiting for oat letter;over a month after case was recommended for approval.

Athena - I called after 30 days (that's what the website said at the time) - was told I'd get a call back within 15 days... that never came. I figured it was 15 business days - that window came and went as of last week. I haven't called back. A couple of weeks ago the status changed - still In Line but the call time frame changed to 90 days, as it did for many others.

Still nothing here - tomorrow it will be 2 months since I was placed in line :(

Happy to see lots of June filers have completed their journey, frustrated that there's no end in sight yet for me. I filed late in June but some July filers in other cities are already either through or scheduled.

Patience.....

Update in my spouse's case

An update in my spouse's case – in line for interview scheduling message received on Friday (09/28/12)

Spouse Case

Permanent Resident: 10/10/2007
N-400 FedExed: 09/05/2012
Acceptance: 09/06/2012
SMS and E-mail: 09/10/2012 (routed to NBC)
Check Cashed: 09/10/2012
FP scheduled E-mail: 09/11/2012
FP notice received: 09/15/2012
Fingerprint Done: 09/26/2012 (Elizabeth, NJ ASC)
In Line for Interview Scheduling: 09/28/2012

Well it's not an interview letter (yet) but I did get a Yellow Letter today - just asks for my driver's license. No-brainer there. :)

Something is better than nothing, I always say!

Any idea how long they wait between YL and IL?

My updated timeline:

01/03/2003: GC
06/29/12: N-400 mailed to Dallas via Priority Mail
07/03/12: N-400 priority date (Day 4)
07/6/12: Check cashed (Day 7)
07/10/12: NOA recvd (Day 11)
07/13/12: FP notice mailed (Per website - Day 14)
07/16/12: FP notice recvd (Day 17 - Scheduled for 8/8)
07/26/12: FP done - Early walk-in. (Day 27)
07/30/12: Online Status changed to "Testing and Interview"
10/01/2012: Yellow Letter Received (dated 9/27) - Bring state-issued driver's license or ID card. (Day 94)

xx/xx/12: IL recvd
xx/xx/12: Interview
xx/xx/12: Oath
xx/xx/12: PP application
xx/xx/12: PP received

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great Grashoppr, any movement is better than none. I got my YL on 9/17 (but I filed my application on June 4). I am not sure what the length of the wait between YL and Interview Letter is. I saw on some earlier posts it could have been long, but that was for people who didn't wait that long for the YL to start with. I think it all depends. We are just at the mercy of the waiting game. As for the request, it is curious that neither you nor I heard back from them within the 15 days (though I was told they sent the email). I think the officer was just reading me back the email form reply which had the 90 days language in it. When I check my status it still says 90 days from August 3 when I was placed in line for scheduling. Well, let's hope that things start moving for both us soon! Any update on your status, needadvice71?

My yellow letter came from NBC in Missouri. It reads like this:

Prior to forwarding your case for interview, USCIS has performed a complete review of your file and Application for Naturalization (Form N-400). As a result of that review, we have identified additional documentation may be needed. We recommend that you bring the documents listed below to your naturalization interview to limit any potential delays that might result if needed documents are not available at interview. In the event additional documentation is required, you will be advised at interview.

All documents must be clear and legible. If you have a document in any language other than English, please provide an English translation along with the original document. The translator must clearly certify that the translation is complete and accurate, and that he or she is qualified to translate.

If you have any questions about your interview or about the information requested, please contact USCIS National Customer Service Center at 1-800-XXX-XXXX.

USCIS recommends you bring the following documents to your interview:

X Bring your state-issued driver's license or state-issued photo identification card.

That leads me to believe that my file is either still in Missouri, or has just been or is being transferred to the DO in Atlanta.

That's odd because I thought when they put you in line for interview, the file has been transferred to the DO. I've been in the queue for interview for 2 months now.

Oh well, nothing much I can do about it - I guess we'll see what happens next, and when. If I'm just being transferred to the DO now it may be a long wait yet. I'll post my progress.

I've seen some folks report waiting a while after YL, especially if it asks for stuff like tax documents and such, which can take a bit of time to gather. I've got everything ready to go - tax stuff, marriage/divorce stuff (was not married to USC, filing on 5+ years)... got it all ready, "just in case."

Well at least it was nice to get something in the mail to know my file isn't lost in space :)

Interview Done!!!

Had my interview today. Was pretty straightforward. The IO was great (interview was in San Jose). Was done in less than 10 minutes. Went through the form and asked me all the same questions that you see on the form. Civic questions were a breeze. Asked me to read one sentence and write one....

Handed me a note saying I have passed the interview and said I would receve the Oath notice in mail (he said he could not give me the oath ceremony letter immediately. My wife got her letter right after her interview)

Unfortunately no updates from me. I am still waiting for an answer to my email. I guess we just have to wait.

That's great Grashoppr, any movement is better than none. I got my YL on 9/17 (but I filed my application on June 4). I am not sure what the length of the wait between YL and Interview Letter is. I saw on some earlier posts it could have been long, but that was for people who didn't wait that long for the YL to start with. I think it all depends. We are just at the mercy of the waiting game. As for the request, it is curious that neither you nor I heard back from them within the 15 days (though I was told they sent the email). I think the officer was just reading me back the email form reply which had the 90 days language in it. When I check my status it still says 90 days from August 3 when I was placed in line for scheduling. Well, let's hope that things start moving for both us soon! Any update on your status, needadvice71?

Someone in my DO got a YL about 2 weeks before their IL. Their interview is today. Someone else got one about 3 weeks ago, no IL yet (and their application date was earlier than the person interviewing today).

I'm hopeful I'll have an IL within a month, and interview within 2, as the IL usually has a date about a month out from when it's issued. Any longer than that it will be cutting it fine for the expiration of my GC and driver's license... :-/

Well it's not an interview letter (yet) but I did get a Yellow Letter today - just asks for my driver's license. No-brainer there. :)
Well, it seems like if the applicant has not met his/her 3/5 year yet, USCIS mails an unnecessary Yellow Letter about things that don't make any sense. My wife's 3 years anniversary is 12/01/2012 and she applied on the beginning of September. Got a letter yesterday asking to to bring the Driver's License and the passport.

Who agrees/disagrees? why/howcome?

Sorry to blow a hole in your theory... but I've had my GC just short of 10 years. Filing on the 5+ years eligibility.

I think people with complicated cases (3 years/marriage) get them, and they do random spot-checks (ie me).

Sorry to blow a hole in your theory... but I've had my GC just short of 10 years. Filing on the 5+ years eligibility.

I think people with complicated cases (3 years/marriage) get them, and they do random spot-checks (ie me).
Grashoppr

You are not blowing a hole in my theory, i laid my opinion out there to discuss and benefit from other's experiences. So you are applying based on 5 year residency not 3year marriage right? how is that the same thing. My wife applied based on 3 years marriage. The case is not complicated at all. pretty straight forward.

I just hope that we get her citizenship on time for her 3 month anniversary.

For clarity I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. Yes I'm applying on 5+ years of LPR status. Not contingent on marriage or anything else other than the 5 years. Clean record, all that - very uncomplicated.

Depending on your district office, you are, in my opinion, a bit optimistic to be done by 12/1 if she just applied a month ago. Average processing time nationally right now is 5.1 months, and their goal is 5 months. Some get through faster but many wait longer.

I applied at the end of June, and I've been waiting 2+ months for an interview letter - and my case isn't unique.

For clarity I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. Yes I'm applying on 5+ years of LPR status. Not contingent on marriage or anything else other than the 5 years. Clean record, all that - very uncomplicated.

Depending on your district office, you are, in my opinion, a bit optimistic to be done by 12/1 if she just applied a month ago. Average processing time nationally right now is 5.1 months, and their goal is 5 months. Some get through faster but many wait longer.

I applied at the end of June, and I've been waiting 2+ months for an interview letter - and my case isn't unique.
Cool

But I have to disagree with you on the timeline. My wife's friend got her citizenship 6 months ago in 2.5 months. The other friend got it in 3 months because she applied within -90 period. So all is good. I hope for you to hear something very soon about your case.

Someone who applied a couple of days after me was done on Sept. 25th. She had 5+ years but is married to a member of the military - that might have fast-tracked her.

I'm sure something will happen soon. USCIS updated their processing times yesterday. As of Aug. 31, ATL is averaging 5.2 months.