June 2011 Filers

Hey guys!!!

So here I am - after my interview with a very positive news! :D I got approved!!! :D :cool:
Everything went really well. My interview was scheduled at 2pm and we got there at about 1:40pm. Officer called us in at 2:05pm and the whole interview took not longer than 10 minutes. He said that he already reviewed our documents and he has no doubt that we a "real deal" marriage. He just asked my husband's date of birth and my date of birth - actually, he was saying those dates himself and asked us to confirm that it's a correct information. He didn't want to see any pictures, any proofs, ANYTHING! He congratulated my husband on becoming a citizen recently (in May) and then told me that he approves me for a 10-year green card :) After that he explained that in 3 years I can come back to become a citizen. Also, he told me that I should go to my college and change my status from "international student" to "permanent resident" and this way I will pay much less for school. I told him, that my academic advisor mentioned that they will change my status only when I show them the actual green card. In response to that officer said that he will just stamp my passport right now. So with the passport I went to my college and they accepted it. Now, instead of paying $1100 I had to pay off for the fall semester, I will pay only $220 :D I'm beyond happy with getting a green card and reducing school payments on top of that!
Anyway, the officer said that I should receive my green card within 2 weeks and couple minutes after we left the building, I received a message saying that my status changed to "card production" :D

I'm very, very happy with today's outcome and I expected the officer to be rude, but he was EXTREMELY nice and I almost wanted to hug him for respecting us and being so nice :) He didn't even ask us those standard question, like "where did you meet?" etc. He just asked me if I am a terrorist and if I belong to any organizations or if I was ever arrested etc. He apologized couple times for asking me those questions and he said that that's what the whole procedure looks like and he just has do ask me this stuff ;)

Anyway, I think I told you everything... Thanks for all your support, guys! Hopefully sfbay1 will bring us a good news today as well :) And good luck to dantuin tomorrow! And of course good luck to the rest of you who still have to go through the interview. I'll make sure to check back and see how you guys are doing :)

Good luck!

Great news congratutaltions.......good to see you also got the non evil robot IO's lmao....

Did you get any sleep last night lol....

I told you as you have 2 kinds its just going to be in and out... Congratulations especially for Getting stamp in your passport and 10 year GC!!
Hey guys!!!

So here I am - after my interview with a very positive news! :D I got approved!!! :D :cool:
Everything went really well. My interview was scheduled at 2pm and we got there at about 1:40pm. Officer called us in at 2:05pm and the whole interview took not longer than 10 minutes. He said that he already reviewed our documents and he has no doubt that we a "real deal" marriage. He just asked my husband's date of birth and my date of birth - actually, he was saying those dates himself and asked us to confirm that it's a correct information. He didn't want to see any pictures, any proofs, ANYTHING! He congratulated my husband on becoming a citizen recently (in May) and then told me that he approves me for a 10-year green card :) After that he explained that in 3 years I can come back to become a citizen. Also, he told me that I should go to my college and change my status from "international student" to "permanent resident" and this way I will pay much less for school. I told him, that my academic advisor mentioned that they will change my status only when I show them the actual green card. In response to that officer said that he will just stamp my passport right now. So with the passport I went to my college and they accepted it. Now, instead of paying $1100 I had to pay off for the fall semester, I will pay only $220 :D I'm beyond happy with getting a green card and reducing school payments on top of that!
Anyway, the officer said that I should receive my green card within 2 weeks and couple minutes after we left the building, I received a message saying that my status changed to "card production" :D

I'm very, very happy with today's outcome and I expected the officer to be rude, but he was EXTREMELY nice and I almost wanted to hug him for respecting us and being so nice :) He didn't even ask us those standard question, like "where did you meet?" etc. He just asked me if I am a terrorist and if I belong to any organizations or if I was ever arrested etc. He apologized couple times for asking me those questions and he said that that's what the whole procedure looks like and he just has do ask me this stuff ;)

Anyway, I think I told you everything... Thanks for all your support, guys! Hopefully sfbay1 will bring us a good news today as well :) And good luck to dantuin tomorrow! And of course good luck to the rest of you who still have to go through the interview. I'll make sure to check back and see how you guys are doing :)

Good luck!

Congratulations, 2much2handle!!! I had no doubt about your interview!! I know one family with a baby 6 mounts ago they have the same experience like yours. After you showing baby Birth certificate almost right away you are ready to leave :) Congrats again, I'm so glad about you and good luck with your education!!

Congrats Matt for getting the physical GC and 2much2handle for being approved. :)
Here's one more: I got approved too and card production is ordered. :)
All in all the interview experience is pretty nice. We waited for a while in the waiting area then a nice lady called us in. She checked our marriage cert, passport and the naturalization cert. She also checked our DL. Then she asked whether we have any joint accounts. We gave our checkings, savings and credit card statement. Next she went through the 485 forms including those standard questions. She was very nice but very detailed: added more notes on form 485 then explained to me then asked me to sign. The notes are like ' i live with my husband" next to the address line, " haven't been abroad " next to my last entry date, "have no children" etc. Then she started to ask questions like how we met, where is it and when our relationship became serious. Later I told her we brought photos(printed on the paper). She was interested and seemed enjoy seeing all those photos and showed me one of them and we made some comments. :) But, but...:)...she said she cannot approve right now. She had to do some background check and it'll be at the end of the day. If she needs any documents, she will send us a mail. So i gave her our life, health insurance and IRA beneficiary info just in case she needs them. Then my husband mentioned i will be traveling abroad at the end of September and what shall we do if we still haven't received card. She explained. Then we were about to leave, she asked us whether we can wait at the waiting area for a few more minutes. She explained that she is new and wanted to ask her supervisor whether she asked all the questions and that she doesn't want to bring us back again just because she forgot some questions or ppwk. It's very nice and considerate of her. She then explained about conditional GC and told us not to forget to apply etc. Then walked us out and seated us in the waiting area. After a few minutes, she came back and happily told us she doesn't need to ask any additional questions. But while we were waiting, we figured we'd better give her my husband's employment letter and recent pay stubs just in case she needs. She happily took them. She is really a nice lady. She was kind of detailed and cautions, but i think that's because she is new. Although we didn't get approved immediately, we didn't really worry and felt we shall be able to get it. On the way driving back home, we made lots of jokes and my husband told me which restaurant to go this evening to celebrate my birthday(it's tomorrow but he said tonight my birthday will start.:) )
Maybe about two hours after our interview, i got status update: card production ordered. So we can really celebrate both my birthday and green day today. :)
Looks like June is a lucky month. So far our june filers have been doing pretty good. Let's wait for the good news from Dantuin tomorrow and more good news from the rest. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
yay! thanks for sharing your experience!

Congratulations! Where was your interview, what city?

Thank you, guys!

itschaituz, my interview was in Detroit, Michigan :)

Great news congratutaltions.......good to see you also got the non evil robot IO's lmao....

Did you get any sleep last night lol....

Thanks, matt1256! I got a little bit of sleep last night ;)
As far as the officer who interviewed us - he was really awesome! He made the whole experience much less stressful and nice to remember! And I've read another thread with your comments about interview etc. and I agree with what you've said 100% (just to let you know).

I told you as you have 2 kinds its just going to be in and out... Congratulations especially for Getting stamp in your passport and 10 year GC!!

Thanks, ThePandya! And I'm glad you are safe and doing well after the hurricane thing. It looks like it wasn't too bad.

Congratulations, 2much2handle!!! I had no doubt about your interview!! I know one family with a baby 6 mounts ago they have the same experience like yours. After you showing baby Birth certificate almost right away you are ready to leave :) Congrats again, I'm so glad about you and good luck with your education!!

Thank you so much, morty! Yes, it looks like having kids is a huge plus in the process of receiving a green card. And thanks for wishing me a good luck with my education - I will need lots and lots of luck to get through ;)

Thanks again to everyone! And good luck!

Congrats Matt for getting the physical GC and 2much2handle for being approved. :)
Here's one more: I got approved too and card production is ordered. :)
All in all the interview experience is pretty nice. We waited for a while in the waiting area then a nice lady called us in. She checked our marriage cert, passport and the naturalization cert. She also checked our DL. Then she asked whether we have any joint accounts. We gave our checkings, savings and credit card statement. Next she went through the 485 forms including those standard questions. She was very nice but very detailed: added more notes on form 485 then explained to me then asked me to sign. The notes are like ' i live with my husband" next to the address line, " haven't been abroad " next to my last entry date, "have no children" etc. Then she started to ask questions like how we met, where is it and when our relationship became serious. Later I told her we brought photos(printed on the paper). She was interested and seemed enjoy seeing all those photos and showed me one of them and we made some comments. :) But, but...:)...she said she cannot approve right now. She had to do some background check and it'll be at the end of the day. If she needs any documents, she will send us a mail. So i gave her our life, health insurance and IRA beneficiary info just in case she needs them. Then my husband mentioned i will be traveling abroad at the end of September and what shall we do if we still haven't received card. She explained. Then we were about to leave, she asked us whether we can wait at the waiting area for a few more minutes. She explained that she is new and wanted to ask her supervisor whether she asked all the questions and that she doesn't want to bring us back again just because she forgot some questions or ppwk. It's very nice and considerate of her. She then explained about conditional GC and told us not to forget to apply etc. Then walked us out and seated us in the waiting area. After a few minutes, she came back and happily told us she doesn't need to ask any additional questions. But while we were waiting, we figured we'd better give her my husband's employment letter and recent pay stubs just in case she needs. She happily took them. She is really a nice lady. She was kind of detailed and cautions, but i think that's because she is new. Although we didn't get approved immediately, we didn't really worry and felt we shall be able to get it. On the way driving back home, we made lots of jokes and my husband told me which restaurant to go this evening to celebrate my birthday(it's tomorrow but he said tonight my birthday will start.:) )
Maybe about two hours after our interview, i got status update: card production ordered. So we can really celebrate both my birthday and green day today. :)
Looks like June is a lucky month. So far our june filers have been doing pretty good. Let's wait for the good news from Dantuin tomorrow and more good news from the rest. :)

CONGRATULATIONS sfbay1! I'm so glad to hear the good news!!! And happy birthday to you! :)

Thanks 2much2handle! Happy for you to save money on tuition. $1100 and $220 is big difference:5 times! good timing! right before the semester. :)

@Safbay1 congratulations to you too and Happy Birthday....so June 2011 was great month for applying for Permanent Residency as all of us got processed really fast (2-3 months) and August-September 2011 are great months for interview as all of us are getting approved without any trouble! Cheers!!

@2much2handle yup I am all well and there was nothing wrong in here. However, there was weird silence whole day yesterday and Saturday!! I have never seen New York City this quite before. Anyways so now you can finally accomplish your wish of coming to NYC :)

sfbay1 congrats to you as well .

now lets have a contest between sfbay,pandya &2much2handle on who gets card first no cheating pls lmao....

@Safbay1 congratulations to you too and Happy Birthday....so June 2011 was great month for applying for Permanent Residency as all of us got processed really fast (2-3 months) and August-September 2011 are great months for interview as all of us are getting approved without any trouble! Cheers!!

@2much2handle yup I am all well and there was nothing wrong in here. However, there was weird silence whole day yesterday and Saturday!! I have never seen New York City this quite before. Anyways so now you can finally accomplish your wish of coming to NYC :)

I'm very, very glad to read that! And I am not afraid of any hurricane - I wish I could go to NYC right now! ;)

sfbay1 congrats to you as well .

now lets have a contest between sfbay,pandya &2much2handle on who gets card first no cheating pls lmao....

LOL I'm wondering who will get a 2nd place on this thread, since YOU have the 1st place of receiving a real green card :p

By the way, I have my alien number in the passport, so I was wondering if I can go with just my passport and get a social security number? It would be great to get it ASAP so I can apply for the financial aid... but I'm not sure if I should go and spend half of the day waiting in the line just to find out that I can't get the ss#... What do you think?

Congrats to everybody who got approved. Its really nice to read all the positive outcomes.:)

I didn't know you can bring kids to the interview. That's good to know that we wont have to start looking for daycare. For those of who have kids, did you bring their birth certificate. Our son is 6 month (and a USC). We don't have his birth certificate. We just have that hospital birth record. We ordered the birth certificate but probably will not be received on time for the interview.

Good luck to everybody.

I can apply for the financial aid...
SS administration may need your actual card GC, because they have to read the number (automatically).But better check with them!
"To prove your U.S. immigration status, you must show us your current U.S. immigration document such as Form I-551 (Lawful Permanent Resident Card, Machine Readable Immigrant Visa), I-766 (work permit)or I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record)."​
That what I noticed in your comment is about the Aid your are looking for. Be careful with that because you may not be able to apply for Federal and same State aids. That link ---uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf-- under "Program not Included" you can find out which of them you CAN apply. Also check INSTRUCTION form I-864 first page under "How Is This Form Used?" ---uscis.gov/files/form/i-829instr.pdf--. By Federal law Green Card holder can Not apply for benefits (only same), those conditions drops after:
"... immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, or can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work in the USA."​
I just give you the source , so you can figure out If its applies to you, and the benefits you are seeking.​

SS administration may need your actual card GC, because they have to read the number (automatically).But better check with them!​

Also, I know in terms of applying after first arriving, the SSA recommends waiting 10 days before applying so that their systems are reading correctly what the DHS systems say. I would recommend to apply the same principal with applying after an AOS.

Congrats to everybody who got approved. Its really nice to read all the positive outcomes.:)

I didn't know you can bring kids to the interview. That's good to know that we wont have to start looking for daycare. For those of who have kids, did you bring their birth certificate. Our son is 6 month (and a USC). We don't have his birth certificate. We just have that hospital birth record. We ordered the birth certificate but probably will not be received on time for the interview.

Good luck to everybody.

sonano, DEFINITELY bring a copy of your child's birth certificate or of that letter you got from the hospital (and the original as well!). This is going to be your biggest and most important proof that you are a real marriage!
On the side note - your baby is 6 months and you STILL didn't get his birth certificate??? :eek: This is the only proof that your child is a US citizen. It is his most important document at this point. I got my children's birth certificates within 2 weeks after they were born (and social security numbers shortly after that).

SS administration may need your actual card GC, because they have to read the number (automatically).But better check with them!
"To prove your U.S. immigration status, you must show us your current U.S. immigration document such as Form I-551 (Lawful Permanent Resident Card, Machine Readable Immigrant Visa), I-766 (work permit)or I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record)."​
That what I noticed in your comment is about the Aid your are looking for. Be careful with that because you may not be able to apply for Federal and same State aids. That link ---uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf-- under "Program not Included" you can find out which of them you CAN apply. Also check INSTRUCTION form I-864 first page under "How Is This Form Used?" ---uscis.gov/files/form/i-829instr.pdf--. By Federal law Green Card holder can Not apply for benefits (only same), those conditions drops after:
"... immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, or can be credited with 40 qualifying quarters of work in the USA."​
I just give you the source , so you can figure out If its applies to you, and the benefits you are seeking.​

morty, thanks a lot for the information! I hope I will get a financial aid though. The lady from the Financial Aid Office at my college said that as soon as I get my green card I should apply because it is the only thing that was holding me back from applying. We'll see, but I hope you are NOT right ;)

Also, I know in terms of applying after first arriving, the SSA recommends waiting 10 days before applying so that their systems are reading correctly what the DHS systems say. I would recommend to apply the same principal with applying after an AOS.

Yup, you are right! I went to the Social Security Administration this morning since my kids woke me up and I couldn't sleep anyway, so I got there when they just opened and didn't have to wait in the line. It's like 3 minutes away from my home, so I decided to go and ask since it will not hurt, right? The lady from the Social Security Administration said that since I have my passport stamped there should be no problem and she filled out everything in her computer. I was happy that everything goes so well. But at the end she said that "it didn't go through" because I was approved less than 10 days ago. She gave me my reference number and said that all the information is on file at the Social Security Administration and hopefully it will go through sometime soon. I have to call and follow up on my case in 10 days. She said that because I'm new permanent resident, I am probably not in their system yet and we have to wait. I hope I didn't mess up anything with that :-/ We'll wait and see.

I'm wondering how's dantuin doing today?

I'm wondering how's dantuin doing today?

Hi guys! Thanks for checking on me.
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS to those who got approved, 2much2handle and sfbay1 I was hoping for the good news from you and I was right!!!! :D
My interview went well, however, we still didn’t get a straight answer whether approved or not, no emails/messages either :/
The officer was a nice lady, she started off by looking at our wedding album and gave compliments on how beautiful the album was and the flowers (we did our flowers ourselves for the wedding). Also asked who were the people in the pictures and we explained. Then she said to my hubby she’d start the interview with him, asked him his full name, parents’ names, his employer’s name. She made notes, asked us where we got married and how we met. Then went on giving me the I-485 questions, whether I’ve been arrested etc. Asked me if I had a 2 year rule on my J1, I wasn’t sure and suggested she checks what my visa says. While doing that, she was flipping through her paperwork kind of furiously, at the same time checking a list in front of her, crossing smth out. Finally, she asked if I we had any additional evidence to submit, we gave it to her. Then said that was all she has to ask us and we should hear from her within 120 days. If she needs anything she will let us know. She didn’t take my I-94.
So what do you think?

.... but I hope you are NOT right ;)
right, right, I hope that ,too. Actually I check again I-864P and it says " ...Programs not included (under Means- Public Benefits) student assistant under Higher Education Act ..." I can say I'm glad that I'm not right about your case :) :)
2much2handle I hope I didn't confuse you!

Hi Dantuin, I didn't get the straight answer either yesterday. I remember Pandya got his the next day. So, just take it easy and patiently wait for the news in the next a few days. Hopefully you will get status update later today or tomorrow.
The only thing I am kind of concerned is that she didn't take your I-94. I read lots of interview experience of those February and May filers. I got an impression that IO always take I-94 although they don't always take EAD card. My IO didn't take my EAD card but she did take my I-94 at the very first beginning when she requested our passports. So I am wondering whether she is also a new officer so she might forgot to take it. From your discription, she sounds like a new IO, just like mine. I hope this is the scinario. But any way, don't think about it too much and get relaxed. We don't have to worry too much since our marriage is genuine. Even if there is a little trouble (request more docments such as your I-94 etc), we shall be able to solve the problems. Who knows, maybe you will get message very soon. :) Good luck and best wishes! :)